Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics of Lake Marion

Bog...the beneifts.

I know and I think most know about the land lease.
    Last edited by reeltight; 02-14-2019 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    There are 37,000 acres between the I 95 bridge and the dam that are filled with trees that have rotted off at water level. My plan is to clear them for navigation. Many still have timber value. Hopefully the timber will be valuable enough to attract private entities so they can be cleared. The area to be cleared would be a minimum of 10ft deep. I do not want to remove stumps.

This will make lake Marion safer and open up navigation in the big water. Trees with evidence of nesting cannot be removed.
    Sounds like a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Very few waterfront homes, lots, or land are outright owned by private citizens on lake Marion. Those that are, are via legal agreements met, exempt from the eminent domain cases that took place in the 1930s.
    Most are long term, renewable leases from the state.
    Quite a few of the lots in potato creek are outright owned, now Wyboo not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I have replaced two lower units, two bottom repairs, and a bent prop shaft on my boat.......approx cost...$21000. Most everyone else has too. I hardly ever see any damage from Lake Murray or Lake Wateree.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I was going less than 10 mph on the two most expensive incidents. The vertical ones move around after every storm.

And I think they are only talking about dead timber of which, I don't think there is a single nesting tree east of I95. The ospreys are using the live cypress and channel markers for nesting structures.

My dad will be 88 this year, and has been running a boat on it since it was first "navigable" by boat. He's been around it long enough to remember being able to drive a vehicle to Church Island. He has never had issues like you are saying you have had. Either he has been extremely lucky, or you need to let someone else operate the boat for you. And I myself, have run boats on Lake Marion for 35+ years, and done no serious damage to a boat. I'll also run a boat from the canal to the springs, and never hit the channel.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    This whole thing is obviously being brought up to help someone make a a lot of money. There is no logical sense to remove natural habitat from the lake other than to foster development. Some big shots have taken advantage of the lower property values around Marion and now are lobbying to the politicians who can help them make money. Make the lake accessible to people and now people will want to buy a lake house to entertain and ski. Some rich fuckers are going to make mega money while the sportsmen get shitted on. You think we made step in the right direction with increasing vegetation, let a bunch of lake houses get built and see all the complaints about grass interfering with people's recreation.
    Tell me more about that natural tree top habitat in a man made lake. If you are on lake Marion very often you would understand. I would love to see from i95 down stump free and from I 95 up can stay like it is. That lake is truly giant. The 25 ft deep water from the dam to the interstate is unusable for anything other than a catfish.

So from what I gather, they're wanting to turn Lake Marion into Murray. No thanks.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

I will bet anyone with 100 to 1 odds you cannot drive a v hull 21 ft boat with a boat with a prop, not trimmed, planned off, from I-95 to the dam through the uncleared middle of the lake without hitting a stump with the boat, motor or prop. You can freely dodge any you can see.

Who is in?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    My dad will be 88 this year, and has been running a boat on it since it was first "navigable" by boat. He's been around it long enough to remember being able to drive a vehicle to Church Island. He has never had issues like you are saying you have had. Either he has been extremely lucky, or you need to let someone else operate the boat for you. And I myself, have run boats on Lake Marion for 35+ years, and done no serious damage to a boat. I'll also run a boat from the canal to the springs, and never hit the channel.
    I have been in the boat probably 3 times when we knocked the motor clean off the boat. I have seen another 2 get knocked off. I saw a friend almost break his arm when his motor kicked up. I have bent, broken, and cracked motors and boats. I have had the boat jump completely out of the water hitting stumps I never saw. Me and thunderchicken got hung up on a stump for about 4 hours once. We almost tore the motor and the boat up trying to get it off. I know a guy that broke his leg when he hit one skiing. The bone come out of his skin. I have hit them so hard that I slid to the front of the boat before I even knew what had happened. I have all these stories and I would not even consider myself to be the guy that’s on the lake all the time. Screw a stump.

Learn how to run it or stay home!! Simple.

You boys might be onto something. Most every development begins with the clearing.

At least I have all the expert advice how to sell this idea to the tourism and councils around the lake. This will be like the Beverly Hillbillies striking oil, black gold, Texas Tea.

I will bet anyone with 100 to 1 odds you cannot drive a v hull 21 ft boat with a boat with a prop, not trimmed, planned off, from I-95 to the dam through the uncleared middle of the lake without hitting a stump with the boat, motor or prop. You can freely dodge any you can see.

Who is in?

It would be like trying to run through the rain and not get hit by a drop.

You boys might be onto something. Most every development begins with the clearing.

At least I have all the expert advice how to sell this idea to the tourism and councils around the lake. This will be like the Beverly Hillbillies striking oil, black gold, Texas Tea.
    Who would pay for this “project”?

We used chase the striper schools growing up at full blast. We had an aluminum boat and a Johnson 70. The wore the paint off the bottom and always had a spare prop.

Who is in?
    I’m not trying to bust your chops. Honest to goodness. I ran the lake a plenty in 2007 when it was down. In October. From Taw Caw to 95 there isn’t much. In front of Goat Island is a mine field. But after that not so much going up the lake. Santee is not that hard to run. You may have to take the long way around to get to some places, but I don’t think this is a good use of money

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Who would pay for this “project”?

It is my hope the vertical timber has enough value to attract timber men for the free timber. I have my doubts. The first guy has begun and is paying Santee per board ft.

What's the point of running a 21ft from I-95 to the damn??? Kinda figured if that's what your into go to a different lake.... Plenty of places to runs boat and make waves.... If you got other reasons then the need for speed I'm all ears but just for "safer navigation" idk seems SC has plenty of places to perform recreational activities. I would much rather you spent our tax money in improving habitat or even push for better management of other lakes as CWS has already taken steps in the right direction for this to be possible in other areas.... Would be a great time to follow the lead!!!!!
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    I’m not trying to bust your chops. Honest to goodness. I ran the lake a plenty in 2007 when it was down. In October. From Taw Caw to 95 there isn’t much. In front of Goat Island is a mine field. But after that not so much going up the lake. Santee is not that hard to run. You may have to take the long way around to get to some places, but I don’t think this is a good use of money
    What money?

Quote Originally Posted by flatbill View Post
    Learn how to run it or stay home!! Simple.

We hit them because we only had one speed and that was wide ass open. Turn that flatbill around backwards and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    I have been in the boat probably 3 times when we knocked the motor clean off the boat. I have seen another 2 get knocked off. I saw a friend almost break his arm when his motor kicked up. I have bent, broken, and cracked motors and boats. I have had the boat jump completely out of the water hitting stumps I never saw. Me and thunderchicken got hung up on a stump for about 4 hours once. We almost tore the motor and the boat up trying to get it off. I know a guy that broke his leg when he hit one skiing. The bone come out of his skin. I have hit them so hard that I slid to the front of the boat before I even knew what had happened. I have all these stories and I would not even consider myself to be the guy that’s on the lake all the time. Screw a stump.
    How many times did it take you to learn to not grab a pan, bare handed, out of the oven?
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Are all those stumps the reason people look at me funny when running a 29' CC with a radar dome on marion? I just bought they were jealous of the girl on the boat.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm