Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics of Lake Marion

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    We have four metropolises in SC. Myrtle Beach, Charleston area, Columbia/Lexington, Greenville/Spartanburg. The rest of the state is rural. If you want expensive property values move to one of these areas. Enjoy the rural areas for what they are.
    This whole thing is obviously being brought up to help someone make a a lot of money. There is no logical sense to remove natural habitat from the lake other than to foster development. Some big shots have taken advantage of the lower property values around Marion and now are lobbying to the politicians who can help them make money. Make the lake accessible to people and now people will want to buy a lake house to entertain and ski. Some rich fuckers are going to make mega money while the sportsmen get shitted on. You think we made step in the right direction with increasing vegetation, let a bunch of lake houses get built and see all the complaints about grass interfering with people's recreation.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    who is going to pay for it?

And hell yes I crappie fish and it's nice to be able to see the stumps to fish around without having to have $1,000 in electronics on the boat to find them! Stump jumping at Marion is a whole different style of fishing and exclusive to Marion.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Seems like you'd learn to slow down by now.

Here, read this...

I was going less than 10 mph on the two most expensive incidents. The vertical ones move around after every storm.

And I think they are only talking about dead timber of which, I don't think there is a single nesting tree east of I95. The ospreys are using the live cypress and channel markers for nesting structures.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I have replaced two lower units, two bottom repairs, and a bent prop shaft on my boat.......approx cost...$21000. Most everyone else has too. I hardly ever see any damage from Lake Murray or Lake Wateree.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

the first $5,000 or $10,000 in repairs didn't hurt enough, so you continue returning back for $11,000 more... and then complain that trees and stumps were in that lake causing damage?

#UofSClogic

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

[QUOTE=Catdaddy;2590110]I have replaced two lower units, two bottom repairs, and a bent prop shaft on my boat.......approx cost...$21000. Most everyone else has too. I hardly ever see any damage from Lake Murray or Lake Wateree.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Seems you need to get Inky to show you how to run the lake

Maybe they should make it trolling motor only. No one would be ruining motors or bottoms of their boats.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

[QUOTE=thunderchicken;2590133]
    Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I have replaced two lower units, two bottom repairs, and a bent prop shaft on my boat.......approx cost...$21000. Most everyone else has too. I hardly ever see any damage from Lake Murray or Lake Wateree.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Seems you need to get Inky to show you how to run the lake
    You have a mean streak, dontcha...

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    ttt
    Sorry...work got in the way this afternoon. To my question...just sniffing out self-serving interest. He is a developer. He owns property on the lake so he bennifits from higher property values once the lake become "navigable". I'm not throwing stones. I just disagree with this whole heartily.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Excuse me, apparently I logged into an extreme environmentalist site. Let’s break up the boat ramps, stop selling fuel on the water and dig a trench at the North Carolina line.

Jesssh, I’m interested in improving access to a lake. I have not met with any developers or tourism groups. Sorry, conspiracy theorist, there is no sinister plan. I own one house at lake Marion. No other land. My parents had one since I was 12. I have worked for waterfowl habitat before most of you started hunting. I don’t need a lecture about conservation.

This effort is to make a lake navigable. It completes a mission that was interrupted long ago. It will require a study to determine the feasibility and will seek public input from interested persons and organizations surrounding the lake. There would not even be a discussion if a new dam were being proposed
    One might stop to think, the war disrupting this effort may have been the best thing to ever happen to that lake. It's a sanctuary from the normal SC tourism for local outdoors men.

Sorry...work got in the way this afternoon. To my question...just sniffing out self-serving interest. He is a developer. He owns property on the lake so he bennifits from higher property values once the lake become "navigable". I'm not throwing stones. I just disagree with this whole heartily.
    Come on down to collect your prize! We have a winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

One might stop to think, the war disrupting this effort may have been the best thing to ever happen to that lake. It's a sanctuary from the normal SC tourism for local outdoors men.
    The rich politicians don't give a shit about our public areas. They have their own private land to hunt on with fish ponds, duck impoundments, etc.

I hope whoever came up with this idea catches the clap

This is all about selling Santee Cooper Co-Op. The Potential Buyer(s) want to sell Waterfront Lots on a Navigable Lake for the money to Pay the State for the Utility and the rights to sell power. If the Vacant Land is not owned by Santee Cooper, the cost for Waterfront Rights/Leases all Waterfront Owners pay then will go up tremendously upon Lease Renewal or Property Transfer. In the end, New Utility will negotiate cost of Santee Cooper be adjustable based on reductions by a percentage or all of the Tax Basis Increase and recognized additional revenue from Waterfront Leases.

It's always about the money.... Follow the Money!!

bad idea, the best part about lake marion is that navigating it is treacherous, keeps the rubberheads from taking over or at least costs them a lower unit or 2 every now & again

Seems you need to get Inky to show you how to run the lake [/QUOTE]

Shots fired
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Navigable waters makes it more profitable to the state as well at the time of sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Raid View Post
    For once I have to agree with DT. The lake is already full with boaters and such. The places he's talking about would not hurt hunting and would be better for fishing because you take the boaters away from the fishing areas and put them in the middle. Most of us wouldn't go to those areas in heavy use times anyhow due to the time of year.
    On another comparison to lake Murray, all the jet skis, tubes, and wakeboarders tear up the coves day in and day out. They don’t ski out in the open big water, so I disagree with the logic of moving the recreation boats out to the middle. They’re not gonna drive 2 miles out they’re gonna have fun right in the cove nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    This whole thing is obviously being brought up to help someone make a a lot of money. There is no logical sense to remove natural habitat from the lake other than to foster development. Some big shots have taken advantage of the lower property values around Marion and now are lobbying to the politicians who can help them make money. Make the lake accessible to people and now people will want to buy a lake house to entertain and ski. Some rich fuckers are going to make mega money while the sportsmen get shitted on. You think we made step in the right direction with increasing vegetation, let a bunch of lake houses get built and see all the complaints about grass interfering with people's recreation.
    You might just be on to something.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Excuse me, apparently I logged into an extreme environmentalist site. Let’s break up the boat ramps, stop selling fuel on the water and dig a trench at the North Carolina line.

Jesssh, I’m interested in improving access to a lake. I have not met with any developers or tourism groups. Sorry, conspiracy theorist, there is no sinister plan. I own one house at lake Marion. No other land. My parents had one since I was 12. I have worked for waterfowl habitat before most of you started hunting. I don’t need a lecture about conservation.

This effort is to make a lake navigable. It completes a mission that was interrupted long ago. It will require a study to determine the feasibility and will seek public input from interested persons and organizations surrounding the lake. There would not even be a discussion if a new dam were being proposed
    There is plenty of access to thousands of acres of the lake. There is plenty of open, navigable lake access in this state.

I used to think all politicians were like you. I’ve spent more time engaging politicians lately, and I was wrong. They aren’t all self serving dick jobs like you are. You ask for input, until you are challenged. You respond by belittling your challengers and flexing your intellect. That works against people with lesser intellect.

How many houses were on Lake Marion during WW2? How many jet skis? Wake boats?

If you desired a different outcome, you could craft a great argument that the inability to complete the clearing has been a blessing.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands