Thread: Beretta shotgun Stock Question/Help

Default Beretta shotgun Stock Question/Help

Beretta 686 essential

As a result of my own negligence, there is a crack in the butt stock. The picture makes it look worse than what it really is. However, the shotgun is/was in otherwise great condition and I have no intentions of leaving it like this

1) what should I expect to pay if I go the repair route and does anyone have a good gunsmith that they would recommend for this? To make it look basically unnoticeable, a $200 repair or a $500 repair? The answer to that helps lead to the next question

2) looking online, field grade replacement stocks can be had on eBay starting at about $250 and the sky is the limit. I don’t want a crazy custom stock but this may be a good opportunity to upgrade to one with an adjustable comb and better suited for a left handed shooter. Is there anywhere relatively local that would have some stocks on hand. I would probably like to see the grain and finish in person instead of relying on photos if I choose to replace the entire stock

Thanks
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Check with Chico’s son Carson. If he can’t he’ll be able to point you in the right direction. Text me if you need his number.

Chico? As in Chris with the dove field?

Take it to Ron Cox
    Carolina Counsel

I'll give you $150 for it right now as is
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Chico? As in Chris with the dove field?
    That’s right.

Ron Cox should be able to fix that. He repaired a stock for me on a 682 a few years back. The crack was in an almost identical spot but not quite as severe as on your gun. Cost was less than $200 at the time. If it costs more than that, Coles has new complete wood sets that are ready to go with minor fitting. You could likely do the fitting yourself.

Bring it to me, DC. If I don't feel comfortable fixing it, then I'll bring it to Ron Cox. Suggest you hunt for a replacement from any number of outfits (Numrich, Coles, eBay, and more) as that appears to be in a bad location. Most likely it's repairable but you might be out of a stock for several months.

Call Beretta, they sent me one half price, only because they didn't have one in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunning Bird View Post
    Bring it to me, DC. If I don't feel comfortable fixing it, then I'll bring it to Ron Cox. Suggest you hunt for a replacement from any number of outfits (Numrich, Coles, eBay, and more) as that appears to be in a bad location. Most likely it's repairable but you might be out of a stock for several months.
    Thanks, I’ll be in touch

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Call Beretta, they sent me one half price, only because they didn't have one in the US.
    Good to know, thanks

DC, I'm also gonna point you in the direction of a replacement. I've been doing a lot of stock work these past few years. I've done similar repairs and can make the stock serviceable but you can still see the imperfection, and that's even after a complete strip and refinish which takes a lot of time. Why pay a competent person for their time when you can procure a bolt-on replacement for about the same amount, if not less?

Cole's unloads their take offs on eBay. You can usually find a new set for $200. Any 680-series stock will work.

Case in point- this one is in good shape for less than $180 https://www.ebay.com/itm/18644759220...emis&media=SMS

Btw, I can look at the picture and tell ya that one is not a LH. A stock with proper cast for LH shooter, if you remove the but pad and look at the center hole, it'll have more wood left of the hole. It's opposite for a RH shooter. The logic is it shifts the receiver/barrel in toward shooter's dominant eye. A neutral stock with no cast will have equal amounts of wood on both sides of the hole.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 07-06-2024 at 07:16 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Here's one from Coles for $175, oil finish

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15628151558...emis&media=SMS

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft