Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tacoma Hunting Truck Project

Default Tacoma Hunting Truck Project

Figured I would post this to get away from the politikin' and rabble rousin' that has become SCDucks... Going to be receiving this beauty (an heirloom of my wife's family) in the next few months. My oldest son and I are going to work to restore it. I am going to pass on doing any of the major mechanical work myself, but we are going to handle the smaller stuff and working on the interior. My first truck was a 5-speed Tacoma and I wish I would have never sold it, so having this is going to be awesome. Plan to pass it on to my boys one day.

Based on the all powerful Google, the VIN indicates it is a 1993, 5-speed. Don't know how many miles it has on it. Plan is for it to be our hunting truck. It was last driven about 8-12 months ago. ** Also just looked it up and realized that this isn't technically a Tacoma** Learn something new every day....

Tacoma - Edited.jpg

Here is the plan, everything will be new OEM parts or good condition used original parts:

- Get it in to mechanic for any major mechanical needs
    - New tires and maybe wheels (sticking with original style 15'' wheels and 225/75 tires)
    - Replace mirrors
    - Do our best to restore window gaskets
    - At least new driver's side headlight, replace any others lights needed
    - New wiper arms
    - Completely clean interior and get carpets/upholstery redone if needed.
    - If the budget allows, get the rust/dents taken care of and get it buffed, new clear coat and restore stripes. If original paint is too far gone, get it re-painted (factory color)

Never done anything like this before, so its going to be a fun learning experience. Go ahead and throw all the hate you want (this is SCDucks after all ) if I use the wrong name or term for something, haha...

I'll probably be leaning on the brain trust for advice at some point...

I do have one question to start things off: Does anyone have any tips on the best websites/locations for OEM parts or good condition original parts? Or places to avoid?

I'll get more pics as soon as I have it at the house!
    Last edited by dubs; 06-19-2024 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Not a Tacoma
    Formerly DM88

Which motor?

Based on a VIN de-coder I found, it says it has the 2.4L L4 SOHC 8
    Formerly DM88

My dog box would look great in the back of that truck.

Let’s work out a deal or trade for me to take that off your hands
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

That's awesome man looking forward to the progress!

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post
    Based on a VIN de-coder I found, it says it has the 2.4L L4 SOHC 8
    Just be thankful it doesn't have the 3.slow. Those motors eat head gaskets.

Sweet. I redid a 2001 Xtracab with the 3.4 a couple years ago. Plenty of aftermarket parts but I would buy OEM for any engine components.

Nice truck. Wanted one in highschool before I bought my K10
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

That was my first non hand me down. Mine was a ‘94. I wanted the green one, but the green one didn’t have power windows or locks. The navy one next to it had power everything. I chose the green one. Those power locks and windows would’ve been nice.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    My dog box would look great in the back of that truck.

Let’s work out a deal or trade for me to take that off your hands
    haha, I'm sure it would. I was told, very firmly, that in being given the truck, I am not allowed to sell it. If I ever am in a position where I absolutely have to sell it, I can only sell it to another family member. Sorry DC!
    Formerly DM88

If you plan on making it just a hunting truck, just don't make it too nice and I wouldn't paint it. You won't enjoy it for what it is.

I treat mine like a POS SXS though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    If you plan on making it just a hunting truck, just don't make it too nice and I wouldn't paint it. You won't enjoy it for what it is.

with a snorkel...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I had a 93 and 94…..my 93 was that identical silver with a 22re and 31x10.50x15’s. I still miss my old Toyotas….I look forward to seeing more on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Find a 2wd with a blown motor but with a good body and interior. Swap it all over to your truck. Find a junk yard 90-94 4Runner with the 3.0 V6 and automatic. Pull the 3rd members out. They came from the factory with 4.88 gears. They will bolt right up. I would trim the front fenders to fit some 33s and roll out.

But I’m with the other guys. Just get it up and running and keep it the way it is for a hunting rig. Nothing worse that having to take muddy boots off every time you get in the truck.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Cool

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Cool

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Find a 2wd with a blown motor but with a good body and interior. Swap it all over to your truck. Find a junk yard 90-94 4Runner with the 3.0 V6 and automatic. Pull the 3rd members out. They came from the factory with 4.88 gears. They will bolt right up. I would trim the front fenders to fit some 33s and roll out.

But I’m with the other guys. Just get it up and running and keep it the way it is for a hunting rig. Nothing worse that having to take muddy boots off every time you get in the truck.
    They make floor liners for that, homie!
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post

Yea, I guess my biggest concern is stopping the rust from progressing any more than it already has. I'm brand new to all of this, going to be an adventure. I done a lot of simple maintenance on my vehicles but nothing like this, so I'm open to any suggestions/help y'all have.
    Formerly DM88

Older Tacoma trucks are the best possible vehicle to do a project like that..I know one fellow who has created the ultimate dog hunting rig with a 93-94..where the truck bed used to be is a platform for about 6 holes to put the canines in. I think he primarily uses it for bird hunting.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Wanted to give an update and ask a couple questions. First, Going to be taking possession of the truck in the next couple weeks, pumped to get going on this. Also wanted to get a few more pictures on here for y'all.

Here is my main question for the brain trust: First thing I am going to do is get new tires put on it. However, the truck hasn't been cranked in roughly 12 months.

Do I check the fluids and try to get it running or do I not try and crank at all since it has sat for a while?

Just don't want to do any damage trying to get it to run. If I don't try to get it running, I plan to get it towed on a flat bed to get new tires, then towed to mechanic (will likely go to KRT) so they can work on/fix/replace any mechanical needs. Also with it sitting for that long, the fuel and fuel tank concerns me. I had an issue in the past with a rusty fuel tank continuously killing injectors. Don't want to deal with that...

Thoughts? TIA!

Edited to add: Truck has 197,955 miles on it
    Last edited by dubs; 08-30-2024 at 10:22 AM.
    Formerly DM88