Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kamado Grills

Default Kamado Grills

Thinking about getting one. There’s a lot to look at and take in. Whatcha got and why?

Had the medium for 6-7 years…did great. Heavy as shit

I've had a Primo Oval XL for 12-15 years, can't remember exactly when I got it. I use it regularly and it never disappoints. I can cook for a large crowd on it or only start up one side for smaller meals or zone cooking. The thing will go low and slow, or I can crank it up to 600 plus when needed. Takes time to set up and run, but the results are always good. Proper damper setting for what/how you want to cook comes with experience on it. It is heavy as hell, but it has never been moved from where I set it up so it's no big deal. I noticed the other day I need to replace the lid gasket on it. I've never had any issues with it and would buy another one if I ever needed to.

Quote Originally Posted by We Jeep Inn View Post
    I've had a Primo Oval XL for 12-15 years, can't remember exactly when I got it. I use it regularly and it never disappoints. I can cook for a large crowd on it or only start up one side for smaller meals or zone cooking. The thing will go low and slow, or I can crank it up to 600 plus when needed. Takes time to set up and run, but the results are always good. Proper damper setting for what/how you want to cook comes with experience on it. It is heavy as hell, but it has never been moved from where I set it up so it's no big deal. I noticed the other day I need to replace the lid gasket on it. I've never had any issues with it and would buy another one if I ever needed to.
    This 100%
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    This 100%
    I've had my Primo for about the same time and absolutely love it.
    Reality is only an illusion
    that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post

......Some of you guys are fastidious and choosy to the point of near faggotry.

Have had the large for ~8 years. No complaints. If I did it over again I think I would get the XL for more grilling space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an XL and M green egg and love them. That said, I think the shape of the Primo is more efficient in terms of maximizing your cooking area.

If you like to cook for more than just a couple of people, get the XL.

Have a large egg and love it.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Primo XL, check marketplace whether you buy the green one or black one. I see deals on them.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Ive got a large egg and primo jr. Go primo xl. You will love it

I’ve had a large BGE for last 15 years. It’s GTG. It will be around long after I’m gone. But damn the prices have gone up since 2009. Think I paid $600 with the nest and some cooking gadgets.

I've had a BGE for 14 years and I love it, but if I had to replace it, I'd get a Primo.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Have had the BGE XL for 20 years now. Could not be more satisfied.

What everyone else has said on here. I have a couple of BGE's that get used every week for over 15 yrs now.
    Not sure about the Primos gasket, but the one thing that I would have done from the start with the BGE is replace the standard gasket with a Rutland. It was a game changer in managing temps and smoke.

[QUOTE= I noticed the other day I need to replace the lid gasket on it. I've never had any issues with it and would buy another one if I ever needed to.[/QUOTE]

Also buy a BBQ guru while your at it!

Primo XL....no question. Youve seen it at the house and eaten off it multiple times. The size and shape are much more conducive to everything you do with a smoker. Multiple full racks of ribs will fit without curling them up, cook four butts at a time easily, and a full filet of salmon fits as well.

And get Bolt to build you a table for it when he done playing KRT with the goat....

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Also buy a BBQ guru while your at it!
    Why not just buy a pellet grill then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I have had the Primo XL for about 10 years like the rest of these guys. More room and a better setup than the green egg in my opinion.
    It does it all. The main thing with these grills are that they are so insulated that you cannot lower the temperature quickly at all.
    I

Because I once saw a steak trying to be cooked on a pellet grill.

IMG_20240617_112651.jpg
    This picture was sent to me Sunday, another reason to buy Primo as stated!