Thread: Need a Spinning Reel for Bottom-Fishing

Default Need a Spinning Reel for Bottom-Fishing

Have a Star Paraflex 7' jigging spinning rod that was included in a bulk purchase. My normal conventional bottom setups are being serviced, so I need a reel to pair with the rod. Looking at the Spinfishers and Saragosas in 6500. Willing to pay more if the additional cost is justifiable. The lighter the better. Thanks in advance.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

The Shimano reels are a lot smaller in line capacity than Penns. The Saragosa 6000 fits in between the Spinfisher VI 4500 and 5500 in terms of line capacity, max drag, and weight. The Saragosa 8000 has just about the same line capacity as the Spinfisher VI 5500 with a high drag capacity but higher weight. You can find the Spinfisher VI's on sale now because they are making rooms for the VII's to come out. I would buy a Spinfisher VI5500 for weight savings or 6500 for more line capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

As a note I got all my Shimano numbers off the Tackle Direct website and the Penn numbers off the Penn website.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Spinfishers just plain work. Plus they can easily be serviced and repaired.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Why would you rather have a spinning reel for jigging? Perhaps there is an argument that it can be used for other purposes, but that would not be my first choice for jigging. I like Accurate Valient or Avet. For spinning combos, its just a matter of choosing the size spinfisher you need. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Daiwa black gold is a good one

Spheros 8000

A Penn 5500 is the same size as a Shimano 8000. Sargosa 8000 or a Penn Slammer IV. Shimano is slightly smoother, Penn is more durable.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

The Saragosa is nice and has good drag.

I bought an Okuma baitfeeder a few years back and the thing is a freaking workhorse for how cheap it was and has a pretty stout max drag.