Thread: Too many sunflowers

Default Too many sunflowers

I went to check on the sunflowers I planted a couple of weeks ago and was shocked to see that I could barely tell where my rows were. I used a two row planter like I've been doing for the last several years, but this time it looks like my field was broadcasted. The rows on the edge of the field have the perfect spacing but fall apart as you go into the field. Also, the seeds the planter put down are significantly bigger than the extra ones. There is no way that this is extra seed falling out of the planter because I didn't have enough to put this much down. Have y'all had this problem before? This is the 5th year of rotating the field back and forth between sunflowers and a fall mix for a deer food plot and never experienced this. It did end up being about 5 days before I got rain after spraying the pre-emergent. Also, do the seeds produced from Clearfield sunflowers maintain their resistance to herbicides like the original seed?

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

I dont think the others are sunflowers.

Could it be volunteers from last year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    It has to be volunteers. I'm wondering why I'm having the issue this year. I did everything the same as in the past. My routine is in October, I plow up the sunflowers and plant a fall mix. A couple of weeks ago I mowed, raked and baled the field. A couple of days after that plowed the field for the first time, and then plowed a second and third time a couple of days later. Once rain was on the forecast I planted and sprayed the pre-emergent. This is a picture of the field before mowing. I'm not sure how long the seeds can lay dormant, but I would've thought the volunteers would've presented themselves by now.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Bingo.

I'm getting volunteers from last year Sunflowers seeds are very durable.

those look like volunteer sunflowers too me and yes they will be tolerant to the same chemicals