Thread: Looking for a 25-06 for my son, need recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Back on topic a bit. I really like the 25-06, but like all things there are disadvantages. It is loud and the barrel will probably be 24-26 inches….as it needs to be since it is overbore, so the gun will be a bit long. Not sure how big the kid is but it is something to consider if you are in the confines of a small stand. On the positive side, shooting a 100gr Ballistic Tip at 3300-3400 fps, it seems to kill deer better than it should. The recoil on mine is about like a 7mm-08, maybe a tad more. The 6.5 Creed will recoil less and not be as loud. Either will kill a woods goat with no problem. Factory ammo availability maybe challenging but I have seen a decent amount of 6.5 CM lately since it has become a boutique caliber.

Realistically in times like these everybody should be learning to handload. You can tailor make an accurate load for a particular gun and load it for typically less than half price but the big thing is that you are not dependent on finding ammo in a store.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Back on topic a bit. I really like the 25-06, but like all things there are disadvantages. It is loud and the barrel will probably be 24-26 inches….as it needs to be since it is overbore, so the gun will be a bit long. Not sure how big the kid is but it is something to consider if you are in the confines of a small stand. On the positive side, shooting a 100gr Ballistic Tip at 3300-3400 fps, it seems to kill deer better than it should. The recoil on mine is about like a 7mm-08, maybe a tad more. The 6.5 Creed will recoil less and not be as loud. Either will kill a woods goat with no problem. Factory ammo availability maybe challenging but I have seen a decent amount of 6.5 CM lately since it has become a boutique caliber.

Realistically in times like these everybody should be learning to handload. You can tailor make an accurate load for a particular gun and load it for typically less than half price but the big thing is that you are not dependent on finding ammo in a store.
    Finding reloading components has been just as hard here lately. I stumbled upon a pack of 1000 CCI 200 large rifle primers priced like they used to be a few months ago and felt like I had won the lottery.