Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 270 and corelok 130 grain

Default 270 and corelok 130 grain

Killed a doe opening day of rifle season. Straight thru front shoulders at 155 yards. She ran 70 yards and piled up.

Today I killed a big bodied crappy rack at 150ish. This deer was quartering away and I let him have it just behind the front right shoulder. He did some cool stuff and I thought he crashed 15 yards from the shot it sounded like. Waited a few and met my brother at the spot. No deer. Heard him thrashing around in a ravine and went in cause he wasn't moving far or fast. Brother finished him straight thru the neck. Now, I cut my 130 grain corelok out of his back left thigh. So. Shot front right and bullet lodged back left quartering away.

What happened to make my bullet do this?

I am in no way whatsoever a deer hunter or a rifle/ammo guru. And why are my deer running after "good hits"?
    Last edited by Duckkiller; 10-30-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    Go Tigers!!!

Some times bullets/arrows to crazy things when they hit something hard. That's all I got, glad you got the deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

If you were able to recover the bullet what did it look like? Had it mushroomed / expanded? I would suspect that the core lock bullets have killed more deer than any other bullet because of the price point. They are proven and reliable so I doubt there is a problem with them. The bullet may have hit bone and bounced around which could explain the back thigh.
    In my experience the deer that don't run usually have a broken front shoulder from bullet impact or the central nervous system has been affected by the shot. Deer are a lot tougher than we give them credit for and when their adrenaline starts flowing they can do impressive things. Sometimes they just run.

Default Aim here to drop deer in their tracks...

F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

(Most of the time)..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

John Connelly will be along shortly to explain the phenomena behind this.

If I double shoulder a deer and it doesn't drop in its tracks then I am looking for a new bullet. Core lok is a cheap bullet and you should expect that kind of performance. With that said it's only a deer and they will do their job.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post

Everytime

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

nematodes...

Where ya'll in Laurens or somewhere closer to home?
    Last edited by reeltight; 10-31-2014 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    nematodes...

Where ya'll in Laurens or somewhere closer to home?
    Nah I don't hunt that zoo in laurens. Belton
    Go Tigers!!!

I put a 150 grain corelock into the crease of the shoulder at the brisket a few weeks ago. He was quartering to me. The path of trajectory would have pushed the bullet out behind the shoulder blade on the opposite side.

I never found blood, or hair.

Shot was 70 yds. Deer ran uphill with his tail tucked, after he rolled.

Never found him. Three weeks ago. He was a good buck.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    If I double shoulder a deer and it doesn't drop in its tracks then I am looking for a new bullet. Core lok is a cheap bullet and you should expect that kind of performance. With that said it's only a deer and they will do their job.
    Yep. I used to shoot core lokts....because that's all you could find. Yea I know they've killed more deer than any other round. So has a 30-30. That doesn't mean there aren't better options.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    That.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    That.

Cor-Locts kill a ton of deer because people that may shoot one box of ammo in a year are too cheap to pony up the extra $20.00 for a decent box of ammo because it'll keep them from buying the case of beer. Cor-Locts also wound a ton of deer that aren't recovered. Shitty cup and core.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I put a 150 grain corelock into the crease of the shoulder at the brisket a few weeks ago. He was quartering to me. The path of trajectory would have pushed the bullet out behind the shoulder blade on the opposite side.

I never found blood, or hair.

Shot was 70 yds. Deer ran uphill with his tail tucked, after he rolled.

Never found him. Three weeks ago. He was a good buck.
    What caliber?

I have shot core lokts for about 20 years now, for good shots deer never made it past 30 yards. I shoot 150 grain now in .270 and 7mm

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    What caliber?
    You're an idiot

I wouldnt shoot Core Lokts if they gave them away. I lost a deer years ago in a similar situation as BB's. Threw 2 boxes of those no grouping, deer wounding pieces of shit in the trash and have shot premium ammo since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Seems like you're hitting them in what you think is the shoulder. Move your crosshairs up a little and closer towards the neck. May solve it. Remember their shoulder is shaped like a C. Sort of anyway.

Not saying core-lokts are a great bullet but I shoot a 150gr 30-06 out of my Rem 700 and I've never had one go more than 30 or 40 yards. Both deer I've killed so far this year have dropped in their tracks.

If it works, why change?

Quote Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
    Not saying core-lokts are a great bullet but I shoot a 150gr 30-06 out of my Rem 700 and I've never had one go more than 30 or 40 yards. Both deer I've killed so far this year have dropped in their tracks.

If it works, why change?
    cause eventually your luck will run out.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.