Thread: A little work goes a long way!(pic heavy)

Default A little work goes a long way!(pic heavy)

Pulled the cards on a piece of property I have been trying to get turkeys on. I killed a few birds on this land over 10 years ago but something happened and they left haven't seen a bird but here and there since. There was 1 hen in the chufa and 9 jakes and 3 long beards in the clover plot.

So since I don't have any real options I planted chufa hoping it would bring them back. I planted chufa 12-15 years ago on another property and the birds were thick so that would be my go to option here. So last June I drilled in about an acre of chufa. I sprayed and managed plot decent during summer leading up to fall. The chufa looked good and the few I pulled had decent tubers on the plants. Then last fall I planted normal deer plot beside the chufa and added some arrowleaf clover for both the deer and the turkeys. The clover looked as through it had not come up at all in a lot of places and sparce in others. Come to figure it out clover was there all over just the deer were hammering it keeping it eating to the ground. I kind of choked it up for a loss since I had just broadcast it on top and not drilled in. Well now that it has warmed up a little the clover is everywhere in the plot.

The turkeys never really got in the chufa like I thought they would but I was seeing more signs and scatches in the rest of the field than I have every seen so I know they were at lest turkeys in the area. I decided about first of February to put up a camera and see what turned up turkey wise I'm not posting the deer cause nothing special just does.

About 45 days after planting.

This fella's at the top of the list!

Phillipians 4:13

Bust olé black dogs ass

nice pics, I missed a yote like him last year

Nice, I really want to shoot a black coyote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

That black bastard is the main reason for your lack of turkeys..kill him and the rest of his kind and you'll see your turkeys start to rebound