Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tankless water heaters?

Id like that info MG. Very interested in going the electric route
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Rinnai system with a100 gallon propane tank in ground. I fill my tank maybe 3 times a year. We have had it for 7 years now never any trouble We love it.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

Feet's, this is how we roll. We got NGas, we run this whole deal offa 100 amp main.
    Gas heat and logs and cook top. Lectric oven and 2-40/gal. hot water heater's, linked. Works Great and we us alot of hot water. Just for us 2.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I am a dealer for Rinnai and wouldnt recommend anything but them based on service, installation ease, and gas usage. The 100lb cylinder you have will not be enough supply but a 100 gallon tank will be plenty. My propane drivers have a "water heater" route that they run every three months and the gas usage varies depending on how much hot water the customer uses. The tankless systems do absolutely nothing but hang on the wall until you turn a hot water source on (no gas, electricity, or water). Buying a tank style hot water heater these days is like buying a typewriter.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.
    Originally Posted by VaTransplantDuckHunter
    If scducks were to give out Emmys you would get one Robbos!

Willy... anytime is fine to call.

You will need to run a new circuit to run your electric tankless. Most of them need multiple 6 or 8 ga. wires in order to operate. Check out this before you jump. You will not be able to use the old wiring from your previous tank.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Id like that info MG. Very interested in going the electric route
    http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Wa...1#.ULLZ_OOe-Cg

Here you go. I simply reused the exact wiring and breakers from my old tank and screw the sucker to the wall. I added two valves just because I wanted to add them. The unit is rated for 4.0 GPM and since most showers are now 1.0 GPM I guess the math works. All I can tell you is that we never run out of hot water EVER, and since I use well water, I do not have to worry about sediment in tank. Everyone here can hug your gas man if you want but I am on year six of my electric tankless and could not be happier. Oh by the way, since I am on well water, the water from the intake side is colder than city water and therefore takes more energy to heat. IF there ever was a test for a tankless system it would be with well water. That is all, carry on with your discussion, since I neither sell nor service any of this I can only tell you my experience. I have included a pic of my unit albeit completely unexciting. MG

Dum Spiro Spero

I might have to look into the electric. We don't always run out of hot water, but when we do, I get pissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you ever sneak out of the house or do something you weren't supposed to do when you were growing up? Did anyone cut your balls off because of it?

MG,

If you look at the requirements it requires 3 40 amp breakers with 6 #8 wires. Yours may work but it is not wired correctly. That unit draws 120 amps and your typical electric tank is set up on a 30 amp breaker.

Disclaimer- I am not the water heater police, but I dont want to see any ones house burn up either.
    Last edited by kquinn; 11-26-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Holy crap! 120 AMPS?!? Geebus.

Sounds industrial to me, but what the hell do I know?
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Holy crap! 120 AMPS?!? Geebus.

Sounds industrial to me, but what the hell do I know?
    Another reason to not try to use an electric tankless to run a house.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold