Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recipe for shrimp grits and gravy

Default recipe for shrimp grits and gravy

Any body got a lip smacking recipe for this? I went out today and coolered out on the shrimp, and I am wanting to try to make some here at the house. HS, you got a good recipe?
    every expert was once a beginner

This might sound weird, but I'm not a fan of all the shit some people put in shrimp&grits. I like good stone ground grits, sauted shrimp in touch of butter, and a mousseline sauce on top of that. If you can whip up a hollandaise you can make up a mousseline. I could catch shit for that, but I like it.

Toss a stick of butter in a skillet and toss in some shrimp, garlic, paprika, creole seasoning and black pepper. Pour over grits when the shrimp are done.

That's the quick and dirty version and really all you need to get by.

We throw our shrimp in the grits uncooked an let the grits cook them. Have y'all ever done that? I don't know how to make a good gravy though. I like the red gravy like they serve at dockside. Anybody know how to make that?
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I'd have to taste it to tell ya. Never had it before. Good looking kid ya got, BTW. First?

Second! Have a 2 year old!
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Very nice

Sauté shrimp in bacon fat with onions and diced kielbasa. Add mixture to cheese grits and go to town. YUM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fry up some bacon, break it into pieces and put into the grits with the shrimp, cheese, sliced shallots and chicken broth. Will make you slap yo momma!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

A man what slaps his momma is a piece of shit what needs his ass beat. Slap my momma and I'd fuckin' kill ya.

It's a "saying". Guess you upstaters are out of the loop on old sayings. Good grief...
    12-26-98 12-1-13

Werd!
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I just made some Sunday night, so here is what I did.

You will need the following:

Hot Italian Sausage
    Shrimp
    Country Ham
    Heavy Cream
    Olive Oil
    Chicken Stock
    Parsley

Start the grits....I use white stone ground grits and use chicken stock instead of water. Add the heavy cream towards the end and get your consistency right.

Take the sausage (link) and cook it in the oven on a cookie sheet. Take it out after 15 or 20 minutes and cut it up in small pieces.

I use a cast iron skillet for this, but take the sausage and drop it in the skillet with a healthy dose of olive oil. Brown it and deglaze the skillet with chicken stock, then add the shrimp. Stir it around for a minute or two and then add the following.....

In another skillet take a half stick of butter and cook some country ham in it (diced up). Add about a half cup of flour and stir the shit out of it.....to make a roux. After this cooks up nice for a few minutes begin to add chicken broth and stir some more turning this into a gravy. You will end up adding about two cups of stock and spending about 15 minutes doing this.....add the chopped parsley towards the end.

After the ham gravy is complete add it to the skillet with the sausage and shrimp. If you need to adjust the consistency use some more broth, but hurry up because you don't want to overcook the skrimps.

Salt and Pepper (I use white pepper) throughout to taste.

It's good, really good.......
    Last edited by Chessbay; 09-07-2011 at 08:02 PM.

First off you need to make proper stone ground grits. Instant or quick are out of the question. Get real stone ground grits and cook them with whole milk and butter, only seasoning is salt and pepper to taste. Add 3 parts milk to one part grits...cook'em till they thicken add more milk and place in a double boiler. I usually cook them for another hour or two in the double boiler adding liquid if they get to thick. I consider them finished when they are smooth and creamy...ie no grittyness left. You can cook'em quicker on a stovetop but better have a designated stirrer unless you like scorched grits.

Now onto the gravy...Fry up a pound of bacon, sauté a couple of bell peppers, a lg vidalia (julianned) and a couple cloves of garlic (minced), if you want to be fancy use red or orange peppers. Remove when done, don't overcook. Set aside with bacon. Should still have plenty of drippings, but add a little butter to the pan. Take peeled shrimp and toss in seasoned flour until coated. Add floured shrimp to drippings and cook until mostly done...add water to shrimp and now browned flour mixture and make gravy. Add peppers/onion/garlic and crumbled bacon. Season to taste and serve over grits...

Throw some tasso ham, onions, garlic, and yellow pepper in a pan and saute. Remove. Saute shrimp in ham drippings. Remove. Make a white wine gravy out of drippings. Throw some shrimp/peppers/onions on top of creamy grits and add gravy on top.
    Last edited by dfasano; 09-08-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Best shrimp and grits in the south is at a restaurant in New Bern NC called The Chelsea...if you're ever in the area, go try them. They'll change your life...
    Quote Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you ever sneak out of the house or do something you weren't supposed to do when you were growing up? Did anyone cut your balls off because of it?

It ain't rocket surgery.

Grits, cook 'em.

Add shrimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    It ain't rocket surgery.

Grits, cook 'em.

Add shrimp.
    That's waht I thought too...being from spartanburg and all. Then I went and married a lowcountry gal. I've learned it ain't that simple Glenn.

Imagine how devistated I was to learn that long john silvers wasn't a real seafood restaurant either.

http://dining.discoversouthcarolina....aspx?recipe=19

We use beef smoke sausage instead of the andouille and keep that bacon the crumble back in, you don't throw away good bacon.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013