Thread: Fly By Wire Steering

Default Fly By Wire Steering

I bought a boat last year, planned on repowering within 5 years since they were older 2 strokes. One needs new injectors, and the cost for that has me repowering rather than fixing. I’ll be looking for a used 300-350 Yamaha or Suzuki. It seems most everything I’ve seen is fly by wire, my boat is set up with basic steering and a Sea Star system.

If I find an engine without controls that is fly by wire, what all will I need to buy? If I find an engine that was previously a trip/twin/quad, are there any headaches to changing it to a single with fly by wire? Can a fly by wire engine be reverted to traditional steering components?

I’ve never had a boat with fly by wire, so it’s all new to me.

On a related note, if anyone is looking for a 150 Yamaha HPDI I’ll be selling soon. One needs injectors, the other runs like a sewing machine.
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 07-23-2023 at 09:54 AM.

The Hull Truth is your friend.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

The 300 is about 200 lbs lighter than the 350. Just something to consider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I am not much help but I asked a neighbor who works for yamaha:

Nothing is compatible with what he has on a fly by wire motor if it has integrated steering, if he buys a fly by wire motor that requires bolt on steering he can use his sea star steering but it will require a new control box and harnesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I bought a boat last year, planned on repowering within 5 years since they were older 2 strokes. One needs new injectors, and the cost for that has me repowering rather than fixing. I’ll be looking for a used 300-350 Yamaha or Suzuki. It seems most everything I’ve seen is fly by wire, my boat is set up with basic steering and a Sea Star system.

If I find an engine without controls that is fly by wire, what all will I need to buy? If I find an engine that was previously a trip/twin/quad, are there any headaches to changing it to a single with fly by wire? Can a fly by wire engine be reverted to traditional steering components?

I’ve never had a boat with fly by wire, so it’s all new to me.

On a related note, if anyone is looking for a 150 Yamaha HPDI I’ll be selling soon. One needs injectors, the other runs like a sewing machine.
    My F300’s will be in soon. Got mechanical controls. Going to FBW was another $25k added for controls and gauges plus rigging.

Got a pair of F250 3.3L’s I’ll be selling soon.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    I am not much help but I asked a neighbor who works for yamaha:

Nothing is compatible with what he has on a fly by wire motor if it has integrated steering, if he buys a fly by wire motor that requires bolt on steering he can use his sea star steering but it will require a new control box and harnesses.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After doing some reading on other sites that's what I've come up with so far as well. The steering will stay the same, binnacle/throttle goes to electronic.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    My F300’s will be in soon. Got mechanical controls. Going to FBW was another $25k added for controls and gauges plus rigging.

Two 250's will be too much, and one 250 won't be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Two 250's will be too much, and one 250 won't be enough.
    4.2’s are available with mechanical controls. They have specific engines for repowers.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post

You will love going to 4.2s from the 3.3s. Made a huge improvement on our 31.

OP,

Some people don't like running a counter rotating lower unit on single set up just because prop and lower unit not as common used if you are trying to dial it in without new stuff.

But easy to buy a c-r motor and new foot that is standard if you wanted to go that route.

Fly by wire is nice if you have the budget to switch. I was always concerned with electronics and saltwater but most of the boats these days are running it.

My new Suzuki is "fly by wire"
    Just doesn't have shift or throttle cables.
    I think a servo motor opens and closes as the throttle lever moves, sorta like a rheostat
    I was worried about dependability and my dealer says they have been out 15 years and he has had one come back with an issue.
    Military jets have been using the same exact thing for years to move the wing flaps, doors, etc
    I love it!
    Last edited by ecu1984; 07-23-2023 at 04:27 PM.

Military jets have full time maintenance crews and don't operate in salt water. FBW is probably great but it would still make my old codger inner-self nervous. Having said that, I have to admit I've had plenty of problems with mechanical cables over my lifetime.

If it is a XB it is all mechanical. XCB is digital throttle and shift, hydraulic steering. XSB is all digital. Controls and steering. These are the Yamaha model designators for the 250 and 300s.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.