Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First time at the cape

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    So was it an assumption that a gator was involved in said disappearance? Or was there some evidence?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I was told they saw it from a distance but couldn't wade over to stop it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I've had small gators floating outside the decoys watching my dog make a retrieve in December in Louisiana. Water temp is below 70 degrees, they don't feed then because they can't digest it.

I've had small gators take off running across the top of thick hydrilla chasing crippled teal in September too, some steel shot to the head usually does the trick. I hunted my dog this past teal season but kept him to 6 inches of water or less and kept an E collar on him just in case he chased a cripple and I couldn't stop him, I was still puckered up a bit.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks for all the tips guys. Here's hoping we have a good time. Looks like the temp is gonna drop off this week.

There are 2 in our group.

Give us a report when you go. Pics or it didn’t happen.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I've had small gators floating outside the decoys watching my dog make a retrieve in December in Louisiana. Water temp is below 70 degrees, they don't feed then because they can't digest it.
    The way a gator eats a dog is he stuffs it under a log, or root ball. Unless they're a small dog it's not an instant meal. Gators may not eat when it's cold but they still kill and stuff them under the roots to wait on a more suitable day to "eat". I'm more familiar than I care to be on the subject. Shallow water is the best idea if you have to use a dog. A 6' gator can and will slip up behind a swimming dog bite the feet and sink. It's over quick with very little expense of energy.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Facts....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Well dude man further up would rather it be his dog than him, so these facts are irrelevant.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

If old boy that's been working there for years says they've never lost a dog to a gator it ain't for lack of opportunity.

Took whatever retreiver I had at the time with me to wherever it is I got drawn for: Santee Coastal, Santee Delta East or Bear Island. Never had an issue, even in November.

Your chances are probably much better of being struck by lightning.

Last edited by willyworm; 11-16-2022 at 05:24 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Pray the mud is firmer than Murphy and the boat doesn't leak. I couldn't be paid to step off one of those dikes at Murphy again.
    Good to know

Surprised nobody has mentioned bull sharks yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    Surprised nobody has mentioned bull sharks yet.
    Go to front beach for them in July.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Well dude man further up would rather it be his dog than him, so these facts are irrelevant.
    How many dogs a year get eaten by alligators vs adult human males? We're not talking about salt water crocodiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

You got some data on either for us to compare?

On a much more important note, to the OP, how'd the hunt go?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Had a great hunt. Killed a two man limit. Dog did great. The mud sucks but not as bad as I've been in before. Water wasn't deep enough to float the boat so we just walked in. Didn't see any gators in the hunt area. We could of limited on teal in the first ten minutes. Ended up with 9 gadwalls, blue wing, greenwing, and a shoveler. Took 1 dozen decoys. Mix of gads, blacks, wigeon, and teal with a pulsator. Didn't use the Jerk rig or mojo. Marsh stool a must for hunter and dog. Decoy sled another must.
    [A47109.jpgTTACH]79767[/ATTACH]

Dog was exhausted by the time we were done. She climbed on the trailer and slept the whole way back to the truck.

good job. fun hunt
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

nice. hope you soaked up the view. It'll be 4 or 5 years before you see it again.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

That's awesome!!! Glad it worked out to be a great hunt and you worked the dog!

The DNR folks do a GREAT job managing that property for waterfowl! It's a constant battle fighting phragmite, hurricanes, breached dikes, etc.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    The DNR folks do a GREAT job managing that property for waterfowl! It's a constant battle fighting phragmite, hurricanes, breached dikes, etc.
    There are some on here that shutter at your kind words of praise....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE