Thread: Tonneau Cover storage suggestions ILO truck box and open bed

Default Tonneau Cover storage suggestions ILO truck box and open bed

Decided against the traditional truck box and put an Ultra Flex folding tonneau cover on the new truck and have been quite pleased. Allows me to throw my hunting stuff in the back of the truck securely and haul the rods down to the boat without worrying about stopping somewhere along the way and wonder whether or not my stuff will still be there when I return.

Trying to sort thorough the best storage system options....truck is not a "work truck" and won't be hauling around material or things of that nature in the bed, but I consistently have some sort of trailer behind it several times a week. Always have tools and a full truck box of things for "what ifs"....tool sets, impact guns, jacks, chains, etc would be the main passengers along with the obligatory coolers, baseball bags, golf clubs etc.

Originally had planned on installing a Decked or Truck vault system, but that doesn't leave enough room under the cover to put stuff and still be able to close/utilize the cover. GM has some integrated wheel well boxes that would be great but I haven't been able to find any comparable options for an F350. Anybody utilize one of those systems and/or a truck bed slide? Not ready to go full camper shell yet...

Any other thoughts or recommendations I might be missing?

I have been thinking the same. Got a new truck and trying to decide what to do. I am not a fan of a camper shell.

Another member on here has two small jet sleds that he has under the tonneau. Easily removable and accessible and can be thrown in the garage if you want bed storage.

Don’t know how much stuff you put in the back but the two drawers on the deck system do not get water in them. They also hold a good bit of stuff. My boss has one and I am working on getting one in my truck.

I love my camper shell. I have my rod racks in the roof and a bed slide that keeps me from having to fish everything that slides up to the front or spills over.

Come on in, the water is fine...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

ARE Camper shell and a decked box here. I had one of those rolling tonneau covers on it before I bought the cap. (Retraxx I think, which was a pure POS) Like you said, not practical for a decked box under it because there's not enough room between the two

If you don't want a fiberglass cap, look into the removable soft tops. They're in the $800-$1000 range and easily removable when you don't need them. I love my cap, but the soft top version will likely go on my next one because the price of the fiberglass ones have gone out of sight....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I'm in the camper shell group.

F350 with 8' bed, camper shell, decked system.

https://rimrockmfg.com/toolboxes/

A good option if you want something shallower than the decked system.

I've had a camper shell before, I loved it, but a pain in others

If I had a lifting place, in a barn, I'd have a pulley system rigged up for easy off and on plus storage.

Dealing with it during seasons, and an old bronco on and off with the tops made me lazy. Once in my old bronco I pulled it off by myself in a hurry and gouged the side

I can't get past needing a full bed with deer, hauling pinestraw, hauling liquor between stores, all of that. But I'd love to have a camper shell again

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I can't get past needing a full bed with deer, hauling pinestraw, hauling liquor between stores, all of that. But I'd love to have a camper shell again
    Seriously, look into a bedslide. After having one, I dont know how I've gotten through life without one. You dont have to lean over the side, crawl in it to get shit that's slide up to the front. With a camper shell, it's a total game changer, pardon the cliché'. I can pull mine out and I've got totes with different stuff in it. No rummaging. I can run a saw on it and if I was stacking boxes like likker it's like setting them on a table and the pushing the table into a hole in the wall.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

All of these are reasons I went with the locking and folding cover in the first place...tailgate locks everytime I hit the button and you can't open the cover without first lowering the tailgate. If I need access to the entire bed it folds upon itself three times and stands straight up giving full access to the bed. Its water proof and keeps the truck bed clean. I saw the swingbox that Eazy-E linked and thought it may be a viable option. It never failed that what ever I needed out of the truck box, found its way into the bottom middle of the box and I had to crawl my happy ass up in the bed anyways to dig it out.

Will look at the slide options as well, as they seem to check all my boxes...are they strong enough to drop a loaded pallet on every now and then?

I wouldnt extend the bed with loaded pallet on it, but I wouldnt hesitate to put as much weight as you want.

fwiw, BBs truck is like magyver is ready for pretty much anything.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Camper shell here and love it. Instead of a decked system, because I didn't want to spend them money or have something take up the whole bed floor. I built a drawer for my tuck bed that is right around 2' wide and the length of the bed. I was able to fit everything I wanted to carry from my old tool box and I didn't loose my entire bed floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    fwiw, BBs truck is like magyver is ready for pretty much anything.
    Not far from the truth.

Camper shell with flip out windows on both sides. Mounted a side toolbox on the passenger side that could be accessed through the side window. Mounted the support legs so that they were inside the wheel well dead space. This leaves the bed wide open and you can still fit a full sheet of plywood. All large items, regardless of size, still on the trailer. I'm not killing myself to load something that can easily be rolled onto the trailer.