Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's The Secret to Clean Sunflowers?

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    What's the best time to do the final burn down? I planted Clearfields for the first time this year and everything went great up until the flowers started to wilt. Now the field is starting to get pretty grown up but the seeds haven't started dropping yet. Do I need to wait until after they start dropping to hit it with the gramoxone?

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk
    I am in the same situation as you. How are yall burning down your fields with out knocking down most of your flowers?

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    I am in the same situation as you. How are yall burning down your fields with out knocking down most of your flowers?
    Boomless sprayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Two words that will help you in the future.....

......crop rotation.

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    I have the booms on my sprayer raised to they go over the top of everything. My sprayer will cover 10 rows at a time, so I'm only knocking down the two rows that the tractor straddles. I just plan to bush hog those rows anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Start clean.... stay clean. I know it sounds elementary but it’s the truth. Start clean, layer residuals throughout the growing season as labels will allow, spray your postemerge herbicide with the same caution and attention as you would use shooting your last bullet at a once in a lifetime buck, walk your fields and scout them, and don’t count out some manual labor. Most people wait to late to start spraying. Start early, as in several weeks before you plant and don’t take your foot off the throttle until the sunflowers reach maturity. All this if you want a spotless field. Most guys want a silver bullet type product to spray and there isn’t one. We follow this same approach in corn, cotton, peanuts, and soybeans. Keep your options open and don’t get behind schedule on scouting the crop.
    U serious Clark?

^ This.

I have a 22' wide sprayer that sprays over the top of the sunflowers. I have 6 rows standing and 2 rows bent over after spraying. I intend to bushhog a few of the bent over rows in the next week. Then I will disk a few to keep them really clean. I'm ready for the 5th!

Good info! Thanks guys

This was about 4 weeks ago/

AB0391D2-BD71-4097-B21B-E38882DF0E13.jpg
    Last edited by wskinner; 08-12-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Why would you not use a pre emergent? Have you not used one in 5 years? Yes a pre emergent will make a difference. In the past I've used Spartan Charge and Duel Magnum for my pre emergent and Cadre for post emergent. This year I used Warrant and Valor for my pre emergent and Cadre after they were up. I have the cleanest field I've had in years this year. I still have a few weeds here and there but hardly any pig weed, which I've had worse in the past. My chemical guy has always stressed timing when spraying pre emergent. He says you need to spray before a rain so that the chemical can get worked into the soil to help with the residual effect.
    My sprayer pump went out. I built a new roller pump sprayer a few weeks after planting. Worked great on my corn!

I sprayed spartan behind my row planter 2 years ago but didn't really see a huge difference. Lost my Dad last August. He always had the field ready to plant! Lot to take on by myself! It's funny, friends don't want to think about dove hunting until Sept & all the work is finished!

Prowl H2O, Spartan Charge, and Dual Mag are your friends!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Prowl H2O, Spartan Charge, and Dual Mag are your friends!
    All 3 for pre? I've been using Spartan Charge and Dual Mag for the last 2 years. I didn't know Spartan charge needed rain to activate it, so it wasn't as productive. Are you adding Prowl as well or swapping it out with one of the other 2?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Got to love Spottecky , I spend many a hour on a Cub killing weeds in a tobacco field

As far as I know , all pre emerges need rain to activate....3 days or less is 100 percent, then starts dropping efficiency every day after that if its hot an sunny .
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by DUCK BUSTER 68 View Post
    As far as I know , all pre emerges need rain to activate....3 days or less is 100 percent, then starts dropping efficiency every day after that if its hot an sunny .
    You gotta a spot for us just for and excuse to ride up that way. BBBBBSJHGF
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    All 3 for pre? I've been using Spartan Charge and Dual Mag for the last 2 years. I didn't know Spartan charge needed rain to activate it, so it wasn't as productive. Are you adding Prowl as well or swapping it out with one of the other 2?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Yes, myself and others in the area have used all three as PE.
    I have not used the trifecta in a few years now as my field doesn't need it.
    Rates vary of course with soil conditions, tread with caution!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE