Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1.8 billion

Our state tax rate is actually close to 5% because of all the deductions.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    They are wasting money in the Florence area. The Pamplico Hwy widening, which was wasn’t necessary to begin with, has been going on for over 5 years. The bridge down from my house that was taken out in hurricane Matthew is still out. They just closed another 30’ long bridge that was in good working order. Estimates I’m hearing are that this bridge will be closed for 6-12 months. I think any competent contractor could have this bridge re built in 1 month. My bet is it will take at least 9 months for it to be finished however.

Yeah they paved my subdivision this year and there was zero potholes or any issues. They put up a penny tax sign in my yard. I promptly took it down. That money was absolutely wasted.

A legislators relative or “business associate” pocket liner probably put in a work order.

The gas tax is a done deal. It goes up 2cents per year. It all goes to road projects, widening or resurfacing.

Stay on topic. Where do you want it to do?

Can we get rid of the state income tax and have a tax based on consumption or a simple flat tax
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

It is a great idea but very difficult to pull off that much of a change with all the stakeholders resisting.

Duck Tape: Out of sheer curiousity, how much non-recurring revenue does the Grand Strand generate in a given year? Tourist dollars and what have you..
    At least I'm housebroken.

Not sure off hand but tourism is our number one ondustry.

Are you thinking about I73?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    The gas tax is a done deal. It goes up 2cents per year. It all goes to road projects, widening or resurfacing.

Stay on topic. Where do you want it to do?
    I‘m ok with it going to roads I just want it done more efficiently. The Pamplico Hwy project is a perfect example. People need to be held accountable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Every road project is dragging. SC did not have enough local road contractors to efficiently handle a huge influx of money.

Tourism doesn't even crack the top 5...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Tourism doesn't even crack the top 5...

Guess he just thinks all of those fields he rides by are only planted for doves and deer.
    Last edited by wskinner; 11-09-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Are you thinking about I73?
    I knew that tourism was number one, and the Grand Strand pays the lion's share...want to know exactly what percentage if at all possible. I guess I73 is happening then?

I-73 is a great idea if there was somewhere to go once you get near the Dirty Myrtle. You'll get there a few minutes faster just to wait in traffic longer on 17.

I-95 and I-26 widening should be priority #1 before any new roads are built.

Every road project is dragging. SC did not have enough local road contractors to efficiently handle a huge influx of money.
    It doesn’t make sense to me. They’ve been working on Cashua for what seems like 5 years and they still ain’t close.

The 301/95 overpass and addition that dumps out on the south side of Santee was a complete waste of money.

What limp noodle decides where the gas tax money goes?
    Meaning who decides what projects to focus on?

I’d like to think things like fixing rural trucking roads would take precedence over a 30 million dollar exit for Santee that no one uses.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    I-73 is a great idea if there was somewhere to go once you get near the Dirty Myrtle. You'll get there a few minutes faster just to wait in traffic longer on 17.

I-95 and I-26 widening should be priority #1 before any new roads are built.
    WOA.....hold your horses buddy. Before we go widening 95 can we just fix the right hand lane from florence to Santee.

And now the entire 157 bring is gone due to the wreck today.

But forget the bridge.

The right hand lane is like:
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

If you close your eyes when crossing over from Ga/NC, you can tell in an instant when you hit S.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    I knew that tourism was number one

Got a link?

2019 Top Industries in South Carolina
    February 15, 2019
    SC Just Right
    South Carolina is home to some of the most successful and innovative companies in the aerospace, agribusiness, automotive, manufacturing and technology industries.

Aerospace Industry

With an annual economic impact of more than $19 billion, the aerospace sector has evolved into a major pillar of the state’s economy.

Since 2009, when Boeing selected North Charleston for its final assembly and delivery facility, the state’s aerospace industry has soared. The driving force behind the success of this sector is the state’s loyal, highly-skilled workforce. From premium automobiles to wide-bodied commercial aircraft, the people of South Carolina have proven that they excel in manufacturing advanced, extremely complex products.

Agribusiness Industry

Agribusiness is the true homegrown industry of South Carolina. With a 23% growth rate over the last decade, it’s also one of the Palmetto State’s fastest-growing industries. Contributing an annual economic impact of more than $41 billion and accounting for approximately 68,000 direct jobs statewide, agriculture products and food production are as important to our future as they have been to our past.

The state’s growing network of agribusiness-related companies and suppliers distributed across every county in the state, includes family-owned and operated farms, large scale private farms, livestock producers, major food processors and manufacturers, wood products producers and more.

Automotive Industry

With an annual economic impact of more than $27 billion, the automotive sector is now an integral part of the state’s economy. As a result, a wide range of companies that support all aspects of automotive manufacturing—assemblers, parts suppliers and raw material producers—are based in South Carolina.

It all started in 1994, when the first South Carolina-made BMW rolled off of the assembly line at the company’s Upstate manufacturing facility. More than two decades later, South Carolina has become a leader in automotive manufacturing. The Palmetto State currently leads the US in the export of completed passenger vehicles. Moreover, the state also ranks first in both the production and export of tires, accounting for nearly one-third of the US market share.

Advanced Manufacturing Industry

From premium automobiles and appliances to boats and aircraft, each time a finished product rolls off an assembly line in this state, it helps solidify South Carolina’s reputation as a location that truly is just right for advanced manufacturing. We are proud to have a history in manufacturing. Once focused on textile mill and apparel jobs, the Palmetto State now boasts a diversified industry of manufacturers. We have become a true leader in advanced manufacturing and one of the world’s top producers of complex products.

South Carolina’s manufacturing industry is growing at a record pace that shows no signs of slowing, from manufacturing headquarters to expanding advanced manufacturing operations. In fact, since 2011, the number of manufacturing jobs has increased by approximately 18%. South Carolina now leads the nation in the export sales of tires and passenger vehicles.

Distribution & Logistics Industry

Being just right means having the infrastructure network in place to make business happen. South Carolina has one of the nation’s fastest-growing container ports, an innovative inland port, 2,300 miles of rail lines and more than 41,000 miles of state-maintained highways. Because of these assets, the Palmetto State has become internationally-known, not only for making things and making them well, but also for our skill in getting those things where they need to go.

From 2011-2018, transportation, distribution and logistics (TDL)-related firms announced capital investments of more than $1 billion in South Carolina. With the recent opening of the Panama Canal expansion, it appears this dynamic industry will only keep growing within our borders. To accommodate this growth, South Carolina has been taking steps to ensure that our TDL capabilities exceed expectations. Evidence of our commitment is the project to deepen the Charleston Harbor to 52 feet, making it the deepest shipping channel in the Southeast.

Life Sciences Industry

Recent investments and expansions by leading biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies have brought recognition to South Carolina as a top destination for the life sciences industry. With a talented and innovative workforce, top research institutions and world-class hospital systems, the Palmetto State boasts an expanding biotech infrastructure.

With such exceptional assets, a dynamic group of bulk manufacturers, chemical processors, generic and proprietary pharmaceutical developers, hygiene product producers and packagers and related research and development companies have all decided to make their home in South Carolina. As a result, the Palmetto State has cultivated a truly cutting-edge life sciences industry sector.

Office & Shared Services Industry

Not only is South Carolina a manufacturing stronghold, it’s also home to an increasing number of office operations. From call centers to financial corporate headquarters, the Palmetto State’s office and shared services industry proves that South Carolina is home to a diversified and dynamic economy. From its highly-skilled workforce to its robust technology and transportation infrastructure networks, we have proven to be an ideal destination for this thriving sector.

https://greerdevelopment.com/2019-to...outh-carolina/

There are a bunch of links to SC's top 5 that shuffle through these (none mention Tourism that I saw) I think Ag is going to be number one in reality no matter what.

We have legitimate tourism in 3 out of 47 Counties. Horry, Charleston, and Beaufort. Unless, of course, you are counting South of the Border up in Hamer...

I don't have a link JAB...I have heard a lot of folks say that the revenue generated by the Grand Strand in terms of taxes (spent on the hotels mostly) is the biggest money maker in the state. It may be the most significant source of tax revenue that I am thinking of. I'm wrong a lot, because I listen to what 'they' say...lol