Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to spray your sunflowers.

Default When to spray your sunflowers.

I thought I would share this with y’all. I have planted Legend Seeds for years and they put out good videos. Here is one to help you know when it is time to spray your flowers before dove season.

gramaxone

what do you think the differences are between farming for sunflowers and a dove field? I mean, i get what he is saying, but i am not afraid to be ahead of him bc my seeds will indeed stay longer in the field to dry. i dont need them that dry when I burn the field down.....

or do I?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thanks for posting that.

Judging by our frequent afternoon showers, it sounds like Roundup is the way to go.

I have corn directly adjacent to my sunflowers. It has produced ears that are mature and drying but the plants are still mostly green. Can I spray them with glyphosate at the same time? I've got plenty of weeds in the corn and would love to clean it up before dove season.

How long does it take for paraquat/gramaxone to do its thing? How long of a rain free window do I need to use it?

24 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    24 hours
    More like 1 hour. It'll be turning black by the time you load up the 2nd tank.

The rules for paraquat are changing next year. It'll require a training comparable to what dicamba requires.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    How long does it take for paraquat/gramaxone to do its thing? How long of a rain free window do I need to use it?
    like Sportin' said, paraquat/ gramaxone kills fast. Please be careful if you use this chemical as it is very dangerous. You have to have a pesticide license to buy it and there is a reason that paraquat is labeled Danger Poison with the Scull and Cross bones versus roundup is just labeled with Caution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I just read the precautions label and it's a bit scary. I think I might just stick to glyphosate this year.

If you spray gramoxone from an open station tractor you are a dumbass.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    And this
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I just read the precautions label and it's a bit scary. I think I might just stick to glyphosate this year.
    I use it and it works great especially for roundup resistant pigweed but I treat it with respect.

They ought to put this on the label.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Dubs is serious business.

If you are willing to get cancer for a barrel burner inside the box limit then you need to stay at the house making tea with the ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post

The rules for paraquat are changing next year. It'll require a training comparable to what dicamba requires.
    Meaning the extension agent practices his car commercial disclaimer voice during the presentation and then gives everyone the answers aloud to the test while you nod your head up and down or side to side and you're of there faster than Jimmy Johns takes to deliver a sub.

Gramoxone is scarier than an angry beaver that smells like week-old sea creatures.
    Last edited by wskinner; 07-31-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Dubs is serious business.

If you are willing to get cancer for a barrel burner inside the box limit then you need to stay at the house making tea with the ladies.
    Shit with gramoxone you wont have time to get cancer, it will burn your guts up for about 2 weeks while you lay there in the bed, then you will enter the after-life
    cut\'em

Shit with gramoxone you wont have time to get cancer, it will burn your guts up for about 2 weeks while you lay there in the bed, then you will enter the after-life
    Small price to pay for spending $5k to get less than a half pound of meat. Cowboy up or go make sammiches.

Did not post this because I wanted to have a chemical debate. What you spray is up to you. I posted this because I can’t count the number of clean sunflower fields I have seen go to pot during August because people are not sure when they should spray.

Pro tip - Gramoxzone will kill the shit out of natural pine in your site prep mix. As stated above don't spray from an open tractor and it will be turning black within 2 hours of application.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Quote Originally Posted by BrownDog View Post
    Did not post this because I wanted to have a chemical debate. What you spray is up to you. I posted this because I can’t count the number of clean sunflower fields I have seen go to pot during August because people are not sure when they should spray.
    I also include a residual in my burn down. My I also have been spending 30min a day with a hoe in my hand. 411CFE72-CFFD-4E1A-8DA1-F81217810B51.jpg
    cut\'em

We do also.. well the same thing as Southernduck, as pertaining to the residual.. I have not pulled, hoed, backpack sprayed or anything this year.

Clean Fields look pretty, they're perfect if you're hunting with silly people, but doves dont care. I'll argue that doves dont care about pigweed. No pigweed near the corn, but they like clean disced near them during late season hunts.