Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reparations...This Guy Gets It (the Bravest Man in DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Regardless of what anyone believes about the reparations that were written into law by Congress following the abolition of slavery, the simple fact is that Congress did not write any such law. The Congress, with no native representation from former succeeded states failed to act on the act that was originally a battle cry of Mr. Tecumseh himself. More correctly, he proposed the 40 acres, then the mule came later. All of this would be overturned officially by President Andrew Johnson in 1865. So if you are paying attention, there was never a promise by DC, Congress or the President, just by a terrorist/arsonist who wish to bring chaos and hope to rally slaves to fight in the war on behalf of the union.

Fast forward to 2019 and the Congress is still holding hearings about the subject. You wonder if a 100 years from now there will be hearings in Germany regarding the treatment of jews in WWII? Discussions and burdens placed on any set of the population 150 years after a deed is done puts six or seven generations removed in the crosshairs of a debate they had no part in now and their ancestors may not have even had then. The article below is worth the read and we should heed his warnings about upholding a "victom class". MG

PS the link contains the video and it may be of interest to note that the subject, Coleman Hughes, is a man of color.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/chill-...arations-bill/

‘Chill, Chill, Chill, Chill!’: Congressional Hearing Explodes As Witness Trashes Slavery Reparations Bill
    By Tommy ChristopherJun 19th, 2019, 12:00 pm

A congressional hearing erupted when Quillette writer Coleman Hughes trashed a bill to study slavery reparations as a “moral and political mistake,” forcing the chair of the hearing to tell the audience to “chill” several times.

The House Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties held a hearing Wednesday entitled “H.R. 40 and the Path to Restorative Justice,” at which witnesses testified about reparations for slavery. HR 40 is a bill which proposes a commission to study reparations.

Hughes testified for the minority and delivered a lengthy opening statement against the bill in question. After noting that “nothing I’m about to say is meant to minimize the horror and brutality of slavery and Jim Crow” and that he considers “our failure to pay reparations directly to freed slaves after the civil war to be one of the greatest injustices ever perpetrated by the US government,” he went in on the bill for four solid minutes.

The audience at the hearing booed Hughes after he said, “Black people don’t need another apology. We need safer neighborhoods and better schools. We need a less punitive criminal justice system. We need affordable health care. And none of these things can be achieved through reparations for slavery.”

SPONSORED CONTENT
    [Watch] A Guide to Saving Money on Carpet Installations
    BY ANTRON
    “Nearly everyone close to me told me not to testify today,” Hughes noted, adding, “They told me that even though I have only ever voted for Democrats, I would be perceived as Republican and therefore hated by half the country. Others told me that by distancing myself from Republicans, I would end up angering the other half of the country. And the sad truth is that they were both right. That’s how suspicious we have become. Of one another. That’s how divided we are. As a nation

He went on to describe reparations as not just divisive, but an “insult” to “many black Americans by putting a price on the suffering of their ancestors, and we would turn the relationship between black Americans and white Americans from a coalition into a transaction.”

Hughes went on to say that, “Reparations by definition are only given to victims, so the moment you give me reparations, you’ve made me into a victim without my consent. Not just that, you’ve made 1/3 of black Americans who poll against reparations into victims without their consent, and black Americans have fought too long for the right to define themselves to be spoken for in such a condescending manner.”

“The question is not what America owes me by virtue of my ancestry, the question is what all Americans owe each other by virtue of being citizens of the same nation,” Hughes said. “And the obligation of citizenship is not transactional. It’s not contingent on ancestry. It never expires, and it can’t be paid off. For all these reasons, bill HR 40 is a moral and political mistake.”

As the audience booed Hughes, subcommittee Chairman Steve Cohen banged the gavel and said “Chill, chill, chill, chill!”

As the chamber quieted, Cohen added: “He was presumptive, but he still has a right to speak.”
    Germany paid Israel and individual jewish displaced people long ago.

"the agreement was signed in September 1952, and West Germany paid Israel a sum of 3 billion marks over the next fourteen years; 450 million marks were paid to the World Jewish Congress. The payments were made to the State of Israel as the heir to those victims who had no surviving family."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repara...Implementation

Without reading your link, I suspect that massive payment from Germany was for looting and all the artifacts which are still MIA around the world! In all likelihood, it had nothing to do with the treatment of the Jews but stolen items
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I laughed catdaddy

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Without reading your link, I suspect that massive payment from Germany was for looting and all the artifacts which are still MIA around the world! In all likelihood, it had nothing to do with the treatment of the Jews but stolen items
    I'd think this is likely correct. Hell, liberation of many of the camps meant disarming the nazi guards but keeping them in charge and the Jews locked in. We were in cahoots with many nazis after the war, apart from the more famous ones (von Braun (got to the moon because of him), Strughold (kept our astronauts safe), etc.) we used many, many to stop the spread of communism. There is a good book called "The Nazis next door" that covers this pretty well. The book also covers comments made by Patton, Eisenhower, etc. on the treatment of the Jews.

CD on a roll.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    FACTS
    in some odd juxtaposition, its interesting people still keep perpetuating certain untruths...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    in some odd juxtaposition, its interesting people still keep perpetuating certain untruths...
    I was kidding brother
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

its like no one gets me

i was, too!

We get you.

Still don't like you.

Invite me fishing.

you wanna come fish?

Will you be there?

UNvited....

Well dern.

That camera still up watching the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    If this can of worms is opened (doubt it will) it will become a pandora box of the same for Irish slaves, native Indians, imtrrmement camp japs, the list is long....
    The idea is as dumb as that messican crazy eye in NYC that's so new on the political stage!
    Elizabeth warren already wants reparations for gays due to the IRS persecuting them

https://dailycaller.com/2019/06/23/e...e-sex-couples/

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    its like no one gets me

i was, too!
    Well played sir
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie