Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sporting Clay Chokes?

Default Sporting Clay Chokes?

Ruger Red Label O/U. Which factory choke in the top vs bottom?
    Thanks for your advice in advance.

What's in it now?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I shoot imp c in both barrels in my doubles except for one fixed.

Hs I picture you with a parker or greener double and twill sports coat.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Tell us what chokes came with the gun?

I choke every time I shoot sporting clays.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I have 2 SK, 1 IC and I assume that means my MOD and Full are in it.

Put the 2 SK's in it. A SK and a SK2 would probably be a good choice too. They're for skeet and skeet's are like sporting clays, just a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    I actually don't own any tweed, I know that doesn't sound right.. but I don't. And every double I shoot is a Beretta, entry level and Fish would say, one is a silverhawk. I have daydreamed about buying a super fox, and at some point I'll buy one fancy double. But It's been a toss up for me on which to buy. I shoot good enough for me, and I'll say I don't shoot clays that often anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    I actually don't own any tweed, I know that doesn't sound right.. but I don't. And every double I shoot is a Beretta, entry level and Fish would say, one is a silverhawk. I have daydreamed about buying a super fox, and at some point I'll buy one fancy double. But It's been a toss up for me on which to buy. I shoot good enough for me, and I'll say I don't shoot clays that often anymore.

I saw a video the other day of a guy shooting clays with a compound bow, and doing pretty well. I can’t imagine what difference a choke SHOULD make.
    Last edited by JJ1965; 03-27-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Put IC and Mod in and you should be fine.

Thanks all! I'm smart enough to know the minor tweaks I make to the gun pale in comparison to the fact that I've not shot clays of any sort in 5 years or more. It'll be fun either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    Put IC and Mod in and you should be fine.
    agreed....and I would ask gander which one to put in which barrel with the tighter one going in the 2nd.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    agreed....and I would ask gander which one to put in which barrel with the tighter one going in the 2nd.
    Can you not choose which barrel shoots first? Depending of the situation sometimes I like my first shot tighter than the second and vise versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

well i've seen sporting clays dorks change chokes based on a specific station....but since I dont give two foxes about shotgun patterning, I'm likely not the guy to ask.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I shoot the same choke in both barrels. Throwing another thing to think about into the equation is more of a distraction to me than a help. Most of the guys in my clays club shoot the same choke in both barrels. Most shoot IC or SK. I never see anyone swapping chokes for a particular presentation. At least one of the Master Class shooters shoots mod/mod. He shoots a lot of FITASC and practices very long shots a lot. He vaporizes close birds.

I've seen John Woolley (well known instructor) consistently break clays at 85 yards with an IC choke just to prove the point. He advises to not get too hung up worrying about chokes.

I sometimes use different chokes for quail shooting, cylinder for the first shot and imp cyl for the second, but that's simply because I don't have two of either open chokes. I shoot mod/mod for doves.

It's hard for me to shoot with choke changers.

It's like having more than 3 wedges in the bag.

I'm not much of a choke changer. With the exception of a very close rabbit we get every so often. I shoot 2 LM chokes for everything and have done pretty well with that setup. Experience taught me that chokes are not why targets get by. There are a multitude of things to concern yourself with that have nothing to do with shells or chokes. It's more about how you move the gun and really seeing the target.

And changing chokes tends to take me out of my groove. It amounts to a mental distraction.