Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: South Carolina land conservation Bank

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    What's the big deal? SCEG and SanteeCooper just stoled billions of dollars from y'all . One is owned by the State and the government.
    Yep. Make you kinda sick feeling don't it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Dawhoo - I'm happy to hear it.

Makes me smile every time I ride by a longleaf habitat.

Maybe one day we can work on an eastern diamondback re-introduction to these properties.
    Don't assume the wheels aren't already in motion.... With private landowners no less!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Yep. Make you kinda sick feeling don't it.
    It's a shame, y'all will have a inflated bill for years to cover two utilities that can't finish a half done job.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Not saving longleaf pine is the reason we've seen so many species decline.....hoss.
    What??? Who are you and why are you using Bogster's name?

There will likely come a day when all of these CEs are legally challenged. I'm not at all sure that it can stand the test of time and changing political/economic conditions. For now, it's a good deal for private owners and it would seem that the state has acquired at least the use of much land through the efforts of the Conservation Bank. Still, the government subsidizing the current use of private land in two ways (CE and tax reductions) with no tangible benefits and a shaky legal future is worrisome for me. (Sure hope we talk Longleaf in a separate thread.)

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I think y'all are overlooking the whole point of this thread being started. Some fuckstick "lost" millions of tax payer dollars and is retiring from a 97k a year job after 15 years and y'all are arguing over conservation easements. It's pretty damn fishy to me and I think what MC was getting at is this not surprising in the least because we live in a pretty fucked up corrupt country.
    Is there another article out there other than the one you posted as the third entry in this thread? If there is I'd like to read it, if not then you are Way off base. According to the article from TheState.com that you posted there wasn't any money "lost", not even "millions of tax payer dollars". Here's what I read from the article you posted.

"The budget required the bank to transfer $3 million to Natural Resources to help match federal grants. But the Conservation Bank already had committed some of the $3 million to a Lowcountry land trust. The Lord Berkeley Conservation Trust had to return $700,000 to the agency that the trust had planned to use for land protection in eastern South Carolina, trust officials said."
    "Conservation Bank board member Mike McShane and other bank officials said there was initial confusion with budget changes that affected the Conservation Bank. McShane said Davant made a mistake, but the matter was corrected quickly.

“It was a numbers glitch and it’s all worked out,’’ McShane said. “DNR has their money.’’"

So according to the article that You posted, the conservation bank, while briefly confused over initial budget changes, sent 700,000 to a Conservation trust that was supposed to go to DNR along with another 2,300,000. So the conservation bank, after realizing their mistake, called the 700,000 back and the full 3,000,000 was sent to DNR. I know I'm probably biased because I met Mr. Davant once at a duck camp, where I was a guest, and stayed up drinking brown liquor trying to solve the worlds problems with him and some friends. But I'll say this, He may in fact be a "fuckstick" , however the very short time that I got to spend with him I did not get that opinion. I got the opinion that he was doing this job, not for the money because he is past the age of retirement, but because he wanted to make a difference and help save valuable habitat in our state. My guess is he resigned because he is tired of dealing with all the bullshit that comes with the position and dealing with lifetime politicians like Hugh Leatherman. Who by the way is 86 years old and has been in the Senate for 36 years, from my town, and I believe he should have retired after his last term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Is there another article out there other than the one you posted as the third entry in this thread? If there is I'd like to read it, if not then you are Way off base. According to the article from TheState.com that you posted there wasn't any money "lost", not even "millions of tax payer dollars". Here's what I read from the article you posted.

"The budget required the bank to transfer $3 million to Natural Resources to help match federal grants. But the Conservation Bank already had committed some of the $3 million to a Lowcountry land trust. The Lord Berkeley Conservation Trust had to return $700,000 to the agency that the trust had planned to use for land protection in eastern South Carolina, trust officials said."
    "Conservation Bank board member Mike McShane and other bank officials said there was initial confusion with budget changes that affected the Conservation Bank. McShane said Davant made a mistake, but the matter was corrected quickly.

“It was a numbers glitch and it’s all worked out,’’ McShane said. “DNR has their money.’’"

So according to the article that You posted, the conservation bank, while briefly confused over initial budget changes, sent 700,000 to a Conservation trust that was supposed to go to DNR along with another 2,300,000. So the conservation bank, after realizing their mistake, called the 700,000 back and the full 3,000,000 was sent to DNR. I know I'm probably biased because I met Mr. Davant once at a duck camp, where I was a guest, and stayed up drinking brown liquor trying to solve the worlds problems with him and some friends. But I'll say this, He may in fact be a "fuckstick" , however the very short time that I got to spend with him I did not get that opinion. I got the opinion that he was doing this job, not for the money because he is past the age of retirement, but because he wanted to make a difference and help save valuable habitat in our state. My guess is he resigned because he is tired of dealing with all the bullshit that comes with the position and dealing with lifetime politicians like Hugh Leatherman. Who by the way is 86 years old and has been in the Senate for 36 years, from my town, and I believe he should have retired after his last term.
    Don't go being rational in here....
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post

When you "accidentally" send $700K to the wrong entity, it's probably time to hang it up. Whether or not it was intentional is not the issue, leaders are held accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    When you "accidentally" send $700K to the wrong entity, it's probably time to hang it up. Whether or not it was intentional is not the issue, leaders are held accountable.
    A lot of money by accident.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Don't go being rational in here....
    You’re right, my bad, continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

So some of you are defending this guys actions?
    what actions?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

i cant read this shit any more.

wealthy people own land.
    I wonder how much of "your" tax dollars are actually "spent" in this deal? All you who complain about "your" tax dollars need to show me how much it is per person.

Preach!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    what actions?
    Did you read the link I posted? That's why I thought this thread was put up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i cant read this shit any more.

wealthy people own land.
    I wonder how much of "your" tax dollars are actually "spent" in this deal? All you who complain about "your" tax dollars need to show me how much it is per person.

Do we need to do the same if we voice opposition to Obama phones, subsidized housing, food stamps, and all the other wasteful government handouts? Or are those different?

I thought you liked shooting doves.

I've been around Marvan a few times, but it was years ago. I doubt he intentionally did anything wrong. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal since things were fixed rather fast. Btw, I'm all for the CB, regardless of someone's financial status. I can't imagine what this state would look like without it. The Yanks would have had a damn field day!!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

If it makes y'all fell better, we just purchased 300 more acres , but I have to carry (2) state land conservation officials hunting.

Did you read the link I posted? That's why I thought this thread was put up.
    did you? Seriously. Show me.