Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastern diamondback

Default Eastern diamondback

This Tuesday a few others and I spent the day searching for eastern diamondback rattlesnakes here in North Carolina. Although one or two individuals are reported each year, they appear to be almost non-existent throughout most of their former range here in NC.
    The state herpetologist and museum curator have done an excellent job compiling records and have a pretty good idea regarding what areas they still remain.

Anyhow, it got me thinking about the status/distribution in South Carolina where the population is much larger, albeit not on the level of Georgia and certainly Florida.
    As a result, I don’t believe as extensive of a records database has been compiled, making it difficult to notice potential declines.

I’d be very interested in hearing about any sightings you have had over the years and where or what county. Anything north of the Santee would be of even greater interest.

Here is a picture of one from NC crossing a gravel road last September.

Very cool!

I still havent seen one in the wild.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

how does one go about spending a day looking for rattle snakes? just curious. serious question.

Sadly I see very few Easterns anymore.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

I've see three in the last 5 or so years. One in Marion County crossing hwy41 near Centenary. It was around 5 1/2 ft long. It was before daylight and it didn't want to leave the road. I had to get a stick and push it out. Another one was also in Marion County. It was on a WMA during turkey season. It was all of 6ft. The 3rd was in Sumter County almost in front of the entrance to the Mac Boykin Boy Scout Camp. It also was crossing the road but when I stopped, it moved into the woods pretty quick, for a rattlesnake. I didn't get as good a look as the other two but it was very big.
    Molon Labe

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    how does one go about spending a day looking for rattle snakes? just curious. serious question.
    Myself and several other herpetologists/biologists spent the day poking around stump holes, derbis piles, etc., within recently burned areas. It's been a little cooler up here, so we were hoping to catch one either moving or basking near it's winter refuge. We did get lucky and find one sunning.

I have found them before in this area, but for many this was their first for North Carolina.

Very cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Not that uncommon in South Alabama. I see one or two a year.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Guy I was with insisted on killing this one. I didn't lose sleep over it but I don't kill them.
    Last edited by walt4dun; 03-27-2015 at 12:41 PM.

i saw one in virginia up in the mountains about 4 summers ago. i think it was a timber though, still cool, it was about 4ft. long.
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 03-27-2015 at 01:00 PM.

Good stuff QA. Their future is pretty grim considering the way most "outdoorsmen" treat them, but I hope they make a strong comeback.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I have two in my freezer from St. Helena Island.

One was on an old timer's front porch. I was asked to remove him.

The other was on the beach all lethargic like when one of Big Daddy's buddies' twins (maybe 6 or 8yrs old) came and asked him to come check out their new toy on the beach. When I got there to remove him, he was nearing death best I could tell. The thought of those little footprints all around that forearm sized snake still gives me chills.

Most of what I see are the canebrakes.

The first one was probably 2008. The second maybe 2010.

I'm sure the skins aren't any good anymore and I hate myself for that.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Ran one over that was a long as the traffic lane was wide on Bacon's Bridge Road right at Bacon's Bridge. It was at night about 20 years ago and I can't confirm I've seen another one since.

Thanks for the replies. Good stuff.

Great pictures Walt.

Skrimp, those are the areas I'm really interested in.

Here is a paper published by a good herpetologist down in Florida. If you look at Figure 2 and the results for SC you will notice that those areas are not represented.

Citizen science is all the rage in birding communities but I think the value of hunters in such efforts are overlooked.

I think this information will be more important going forward as the listing of eastern diamondbacks is further discussed.

If this thread continues to receive interest I may begin compiling a spreadsheet.

Photos and more precise location data as well as some other things would be ideal if that occurs. If locations are privately owned adjacent townships would be suitable if there were concerns about providing such information.

The hogs killed one in our hog pen in the Bonneau area when I was in middle school. Probably 1988 - 1990 time frame. I remember laying it across the tailgate of Dad's step-side Chevy and his tail flopped over the end by a good bit, but don't remember an official measurement. I do remember taking two hogs to the market the next week and stopping by the store on the way home to buy mine and Dad's first pair of snake boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

I'll be happy to help in any way I can. Hopefully I'll see at least one during turkey season.
    Molon Labe

There used to be a good amount in and around the Lumber River.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Thanks, Skrimp. A picture, time, date, temp, and habitat description + location would be ideal.

Ill keep my eyes open but have yet to see one in Williamsburg County in all of my years here.

saw 1 on yellow fly hunt club off 521(near manning) 4 years ago and my FIL runs across a couple every year on his farm near Bowman( where the old rail road station was in Whetsell)
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 03-27-2015 at 02:23 PM.