Thread: Pine trees

Default Pine trees

I am building a house in a 12 acre pasture. I don't want a 12 acre yard so I'm going to plant some pine trees on one side. This pasture has been mowed well the last few months. I have all sorts of grasses, I mean all kinds. Fescue, signal grass, Texas panicum..... What should I be doing right now to prep for planting the pine trees in December-February. I am a farmer and I have ALL sorts of chemicals, but what should I spray now and what should I spray 6 months from now to control the grass in my pine trees. I can kill the grass now but should I add a residual?
    Last edited by coon hunter; 09-09-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Round up and burn ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

We had ours planted using a tractor like this...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xqPlW4V7F8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xqPlW4V7F8[/ame]

It turned the grass over and worked very well. Didn't have to use chemicals. Our pines are now 10yrs old and purty looking.

Be careful what you spray before you plant, I would contact a pine tree nursery first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

scalping and machine planting will hold the grass back

with out scalping, imazapyr for kill and oust extra for residual. then a release, maybe two the following growing season. grasses are a bitch, as you well know. if you are planting any longleaf, the imazapyr carryover may bang em up depending on the rate.

I have done both. both have worked and both have failed. I would machine scalp/plant with longleaf.

Call Eric Hipp at 803-924-4131. He is your man to help with any of the field work.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

the longleaf alliance is filled with great info on LL planting.

http://www.longleafalliance.org/publ...ns/LLNote7.pdf
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Soil physiology can dramatically affect herbicide.
    Soil type and pH?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Just call up your local wildlife/forestry extension agent. He will give you all the knowledge you need and also line you up with a subsidy program that covers 70-90% of planting costs if you decide to plant longleaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullhonkey Donkey View Post
    Just call up your local wildlife/forestry extension agent. He will give you all the knowledge you need and also line you up with a subsidy program that covers 70-90% of planting costs if you decide to plant longleaf.
    In his county I would forego that one unless he has tons of time....
    cut\'em

With the small size you are talking about I highly doubt you will qualify for any programs and it being that small but the seedlings and a dibble and do it yourself. Plant the trees and rows wide enough you can get a mower in them and be done with it. It's not rocket science

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

We have gotten lucky with the programs. Quick turn around. Don't think that is the norm.

Had a small pasture ~15 ac qualify. Loblolly. Covered a good percentage of planting costs.

Burn that bitch down right before planting. Won't be a whole lot out there anyway during that time. Wide rows where you can get the bushhog/mower down it and spray between with Arsenal when needed.

I am so ready for mine to shade out at the cabin. Tired of mowing. Let all the rows on the backside grow up.

If yours are hand planted where you don't have a subsoiler coming through you could keep it looking damn good with a zero turn around the house at least.

Going to get Jaquin to clean me up a buffer again this fall.
    Last edited by ProvidenceSwamper; 09-10-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Ol Juaquin and 10 of his buddies gonna plant mine for sure. I would deal with the programs if my buddy was still in that line of work but as SD said it's no use in this county unless you got YEARS
    Last edited by coon hunter; 09-10-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Who took his position?

24-32 oz. Arsenal AC per acre and 4-4.5 oz. Sulfomet extra per acre dependent on lob/longleaf... Also if a reputable applicator can't get to it such as the Hipps be careful if someone wants to jump on it this time of year considering acreage. We are booked slam up and I believe the Hipps are too

Quote Originally Posted by PP&WS View Post
    24-32 oz. Arsenal AC per acre and 4-4.5 oz. Sulfomet extra per acre dependent on lob/longleaf... Also if a reputable applicator can't get to it such as the Hipps be careful if someone wants to jump on it this time of year considering acreage. We are booked slam up and I believe the Hipps are too
    Uh, yeah!
    Kinda the busy season....
    FYI....I'm serious about soil pH, especially where it may be abnormally high in old fields or pasture.
    Just a thought....brown down with a hot glyphostae rate and address the herbaceous regrowth during the spring after you have more time to research the issue at hand.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Call aero-tech in kingstree sc ask for dirk. They will spray with helicopter and hook you up. Tell them Brian gave you his number 843-382-8289

Quote Originally Posted by duckfan44 View Post
    Call aero-tech in kingstree sc ask for dirk. They will spray with helicopter and hook you up. Tell them Brian gave you his number 843-382-8289

A helicopter for less than 12ac seems a bit ambitious to me and I'd also bet they would spray something that small...

They spray small stuff all the time.

He is going to charge more for the ride across the lake than the actual spraying.
    cut\'em