Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer tag meetings

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    So Sparkle, tell me what is right???
    Seems to me that if the point of going to a deer tag system is to "manage" the number of deer harvested that two things would have to be considered. One- each county is different so a statewide plan would not result in the desired effect for the State. You may get what you want in certain counties while other counties will have too many deer killed and others will have too few killed. So, make the regulations per game zone based upon what that game zone can handle. Two - if you are doing the tag system to "manage" the number of deer harvested and you do NOT regulate or eliminate the depredation program then the tag system is for show only or politics or money or whatever. A prime comparison would be to have a limit on the size and number of catfish a person can keep. Yet there is NO limit on size and number for someone who runs a commercial operation and sells catfish for a living. What's the point of putting regulations on the outdoorsman who enjoys catching catfish if you are going to let the commercial trotliner do what he wants unregulated. Makes common sense to me. What say you?
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    Bigtimber2, I haven't been on here very long but from what I've gathered you are from NC correct? So where do you hunt in SC? Because unless you pay taxes in this state, or you are orginally from here what say do you have in this matter?
    Why would think I am from NC. I live in SC and have since birth. My reps are Sen Gregory and Rep Long.

Becuase I have seen several people tell you to worry about NC including PBiz in this forum. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm fine with doing it by Game Zone. I'm in GZ2, we don't have near the numbers that you hacks in the lowcountry have, so I do not think the limits should be the same. However, I would like to see a buck limit AND a minimum size requirement in my game zone. IMO, it's needed. I'm sorry it affects you people that think an 8" wide 6 point is a trophy. Like I said before, they're fine for a kid or a woman's first deer, but if you're a grown man and you feel good about shooting a year and a half old forkhorn, we'll just have to agree to disagree. BTW, I don't think any less of you, I remember enjoying stacking up 5 points.........when I was 15.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I'm just an ass.. But I did think he was from NC a while back.. So I just kept being an ass about it..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    I'm just an ass..

Best post you've made in this thread.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Seems to me that if the point of going to a deer tag system is to "manage" the number of deer harvested that two things would have to be considered. One- each county is different so a statewide plan would not result in the desired effect for the State. You may get what you want in certain counties while other counties will have too many deer killed and others will have too few killed. So, make the regulations per game zone based upon what that game zone can handle. Two - if you are doing the tag system to "manage" the number of deer harvested and you do NOT regulate or eliminate the depredation program then the tag system is for show only or politics or money or whatever. A prime comparison would be to have a limit on the size and number of catfish a person can keep. Yet there is NO limit on size and number for someone who runs a commercial operation and sells catfish for a living. What's the point of putting regulations on the outdoorsman who enjoys catching catfish if you are going to let the commercial trotliner do what he wants unregulated. Makes common sense to me. What say you?
    This is about taxing and controlling, not managing.

That same tact used before the Civil War and it did not turn out so well for SC. The carpet baggers end up with the plantations and control of the General Assembly, they sent Rembert Dennis to Columbia to make sure they were not limited deer hunting when they came down hunt the plantations they purchased for pennys. It is time to finally rid SC of the yankee influence with game laws.

Good thread

There is not a deer problem in the Lowcountry. I can drive you to plenty of peanut and soybean fields and prove the point. This is just the beginning of what Charles Ruth wants. He came to my club a few years back and spoke to us. I know what he wants. He told us with his own mouth. He also wants to shorten the season to not start till October statewide and he also wants to do away with baiting. He and his buddies have srewed up the turkeys and now they are going for the deer.
    Last edited by PJ1012; 08-25-2015 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    There is not a deer problem in the Lowcountry. I can drive you to plenty of peanut and soybean fields and prove the point. This is just the beginning of what Charles Ruth wants. He came to my club a few years back and spoke to us. I know what he wants. He told us with his own mouth. He also wants to shorten the season to not start till October statewide and he also wants to do away with baiting. He and his buddies have srewed up the turkeys and now they are going for the deer.

God bless him if that's true......

I vacillate between big government and management concepts.

I realize tags is the next step in governmental control of deer hunting. My district is loaded with all types of deer hunters.

I personally wanted quality management when I hunted the goats. Tags are needed if the herd is to be managed by government.

This issue is another issue where no matter how I vote, plenty of people will be mad. I am counting on you, to convince everyone.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

The depredation argument does not hold water when comparing that to buck tags.

First and for most no buck can be shot using a depredation tag period!

There is a lot of misconceptions about the way in which dep tags are used and dispersed.

A farmer has to prove via visual evidence that there is crop damage being done to a DNR officer.

A series of tags usually 5-10 tags will be given to said farmer. If said farmer uses all of the tags he can apply for more but will have to demonstrate that further removal of deer is necessary to ensure crop mortality. Most permits are written for 30 days at a time. The time limit can be and usually are renewed, but only allow for the use of the original tags.

Each deer shot must be tagged. The deer does not have to be removed from the field however DNR recommends you not waste the meat, but the deer must be tagged. Tags are not to be used only when you transport a deer. They are to be used each time a animal is taken.

If a farmer is shooting 5-10-50 deer and leaving them with out tagging as to not "use his tags" is breaking the law.

In many instances a farmer may only be given 10-15 tags for 5k acres that is already split up by miles of forest in between.

If you think about that the numbers are extremely low in what is legally allowed to be taken.

So as a recap no bucks are allowed to be taken. Current deer hunting laws allow for 2 bucks per day 5 total for 2 game zones and NO LIMIT on bucks during the season!

I don't see the correlation between depredation tags and buck tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Each deer shot must be tagged. The deer does not have to be removed from the field however DNR recommends you not waste the meat, but the deer must be tagged. Tags are not to be used only when you transport a deer. They are to be used each time a animal is taken.

If a farmer is shooting 5-10-50 deer and leaving them with out tagging as to not "use his tags" is breaking the law.
    The speed limit on I26 is 70 mph. If you go over 70 mph, you are breaking the law! Just because it is a law, does not mean that everyone abides by it. I am not bashing farmers, because they are protecting the way that they feed their families. But, don't think for one minute that some deer aren't gut shot so they will run off to die in the woods.

I vacillate between big government and management concepts.

Then I would think based upon your past posts on numerous topics you would shy away from big government. I would also think that based upon what I described earlier you would see that a blanket statewide tag system with no regulation of depredation permits would go against management concepts.

I realize tags is the next step in governmental control of deer hunting. My district is loaded with all types of deer hunters.

If sound herd management (numbers) is the goal, then the "types" of hunters should make zero difference.

I personally wanted quality management when I hunted the goats. Tags are needed if the herd is to be managed by government.

Understood, but don't do it half way. If it is to be done, do it right. Regulate the herd for the territory and regulate the harvest of ALL deer, not just those taken by hunters.

This issue is another issue where no matter how I vote, plenty of people will be mad. I am counting on you, to convince everyone.

Trying my hardest.
    See above.
    Last edited by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner; 08-25-2015 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    The depredation argument does not hold water when comparing that to buck tags.

First and for most no buck can be shot using a depredation tag period!

There is a lot of misconceptions about the way in which dep tags are used and dispersed.

A farmer has to prove via visual evidence that there is crop damage being done to a DNR officer.

A series of tags usually 5-10 tags will be given to said farmer. If said farmer uses all of the tags he can apply for more but will have to demonstrate that further removal of deer is necessary to ensure crop mortality. Most permits are written for 30 days at a time. The time limit can be and usually are renewed, but only allow for the use of the original tags.

In many instances a farmer may only be given 10-15 tags for 5k acres that is already split up by miles of forest in between.

If you think about that the numbers are extremely low in what is legally allowed to be taken.

So as a recap no bucks are allowed to be taken. Current deer hunting laws allow for 2 bucks per day 5 total for 2 game zones and NO LIMIT on bucks during the season!

I don't see the correlation between depredation tags and buck tags.
    You have never been with a farmer that is protecting his income have you? For the record I do NOT blame the farmers. I can assure you that hundreds are shot in the gut (by mistake of course) which run off into the woods to die which allows the farmer to NOT use a tag or count that deer toward the total. If you have spent any time around farms and farmers you would see what is happening. Go to a largely agricultural area one night during the first of the summer and listen to how many shots you hear.

Seems if most bigger tracts are current doe quota participants the does are already crudely managed on a deer per acre basis based on population. So why vary according to game zones when the hunter can travel with buck tags?

It is the smaller tracts that avoid management. Unless your neighbors agree with your harvest goals management is impossible.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 08-25-2015 at 12:52 PM.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack View Post
    God bless him if that's true......

So you think those are good ideas? If so, where do you hunt in SC???

Seems if most bigger tracts are current doe quota participants the does are already crudely managed on a deer per acre basis based on population. So why vary according to game zones when the hunter can travel with buck tags?

It is the smaller tracts that avoid management. Unless your neighbors agree with your harvest goals management is impossible.
    Hunters traveling to another game zone should be figured in from the beginning and should NOT be an argument for a statewide plan.

You have never been with a farmer that is protecting his income have you? For the record I do NOT blame the farmers. I can assure you that hundreds are shot in the gut (by mistake of course) which run off into the woods to die which allows the farmer to NOT use a tag or count that deer toward the total. If you have spent any time around farms and farmers you would see what is happening. Go to a largely agricultural area one night during the first of the summer and listen to how many shots you hear.
    Actually I'm very versed in the process.

71 mph in a 70 mph speed zone is breaking the law.

I know for a fact DNR took the whole crying by the hunters who by a few bags of corn and complain that Joe farmer is killing all the deer very seriously this year.

There were multiple tickets handed out for not tagging deer that were left in fields.

What if this, and why if that or what if in general doesn't matter. All we can do is base human behavior off of the current laws and go from there. The whole idea farmers are just missing to miss is hog wash. Most of you are giving the "Joe" farmer way to much credit.

Have any of you road around with these folks? They are gonna take offense but 3/4 of them can not shoot. Because the gun goes bang and the deer runs does not mean you hit the animal. "I gut shot that one (he he) so I don't have to tag it." This is nothing more than code for I didn't hit that deer and I know it. It's late and no need to walk out there. Are there offenders of this. Of course there are. I haven't witnessed it, but I haven't witnessed a bank robbery either. They take place!

There is a lot of hate towards the farmers because they are out shooting deer. Not because the farmer is actually shooting deer, but he gets to do it and I don't.

It is a total jealousy issue. Of course the arguments start well we are down in numbers. I can go on and on from there.....

But when you suggest have you planted any spring/summer food plots in your leased timber to keep the deer from wandering over into Joe famers field?

The response every time is.....NO.

Why not?

That cost money man...besides we aren't hunting right now.