Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Eastern diamondback

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHeadRocker View Post
    Not an eastern but a big ass timber rattler on wateree river last year. Pictures taken by a friend of mine.
    Buddy of mine seen a timber rattler swimming across Wateree also. He was upriver from the Lugoff bridge.

Saw a PBS special one time and they mentioned rattlesnakes being spotted up to two miles offshore. They also said a rattlesnake cannot bite while in water. I will not test that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    Saw a PBS special one time and they mentioned rattlesnakes being spotted up to two miles offshore. They also said a rattlesnake cannot bite while in water. I will not test that.

Really!! Wonder how they figured that out.

Not sure I believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    Really!! Wonder how they figured that out.

Not sure I believe that.
    yeah Im not testing that one,,, i would bet if you swam up to a rattler and grabbed him you would be spending the next week in icu

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    That's interesting. You don't normally see rattle snakes swimming. There have been a few diamond backs killed in Kershaw County that I know of.
    I have seen a handful over the years swimming between the islands that dot the marsh between Daufuskie and Savannah.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 03-30-2015 at 07:01 PM.

JEHOSEE
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    That's interesting. You don't normally see rattle snakes swimming. There have been a few diamond backs killed in Kershaw County that I know of.
    They'll swim in a heartbeat.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Saw one last year in Richmond county NC not far from the pee dee river.

My dad and some of his older friends always talked about seeing rattlesnakes in Anson and Richmond counties along the Pee Dee when they were quail hunting back in the day. There are still several rattlesnakes killed and seen every year on that club land which is close to Old Sneedsboro down from Morven. I've seen pictures of snakes (mostly dead) from areas closer to Ansonville around Hwy 109 where it crosses the Pee Dee river. Of course Uwharrie NF has always had quite a few. All of this of course is in N.C.

The last one I saw was probably 15 years ago in a dove field outside of Florence. He was probably 4-5 ft long but his girth was crazy looked like the width of a football. Being a kid I was wanting to play with that thing and get his rattles going. I can still hear em.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”

― Norman Maclean

The only one I have ever seen was floating (dead) in the marsh at Buckhall Landing. Probably 15 yrs ago.

There was one killed at Traces golf course off I20 on the line between Florence and Darlington a few years back. He was bumping 7'

He was on the green and no one could play through.

Some idiot finally killed it with his putter.

If I am gonna beat a snake to death it will not be with the shortest club in my bag. Especially when the legless lizard is over 6'

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    JEHOSEE
    This
    867-5309

I've heard Hutchinson is covered with them as well.

Saw one in Clarendon county about five years ago six footer or better. Didn't kill it so it may still be on the farm.

My grandfather was telling me of the easterns that he has encountered over the years. One, when he was a youth about the age of thirteen (circa 1952) he was on the way home from school and ran into one stretched accross the rd. He ended up killing it. over 6 ft and 18 rattles. There has been a history of easterns in that area. I saw one laying across the road while putting out corn. Over six feet in length. That was about 8 or 10 years ago. Location is in Salters, up from the river swamp on thorntree branch. Also smelled one this past weekend but couldnt find him.

Saw this one yesterday near Dorchester Shooting Preserve south of Savannah - this was as close as I was willing to get (with zoom on the iPhone, haha).

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CRowland; 08-30-2015 at 08:42 AM.

That's badass!

That is an awesome snake. I saw a bunch of em in South Florida. Really big ones.

They are pretty, but I don't know enough about their range not to
    Kill them when they are on the trail to my bow stand.

That is an awesome sight. I hope I get to see one in the wild someday. If anyone here ever sees one, shoot me a pm, and I will drive to wherever you are and pay you to show him to me.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands