Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do hunt tests?

I don't need one of them "trial" dogs, I got a "meat" dog. So what I got to get a pocket full of rocks before I go hunting..........

People just use this for an excuse to have an untrained, out of control, hard headed, run all over God's creation, pain in the ass "meat" dog. They can't, or they are too lazy to actually train a dog to a nice Started or season level. Much less a Finished or Master level. So they jsut use the "meat" dog excuse.

For your #2 hesitation, somebody has sold you a bag of shat. It has nothing to do with the "tests" if a dog does not take well to hunting. It has EVERYTHING to do with the dog and the training/trainer.

And for your video, I didn't see the dog poping every 40 yards. He was taking decent lines and half ass stopping on the whistle. But, I aint got time to argue about that petty BS.

If you want a nice hunting dog that is trained to a higher standard, (than 95% of the "meat" dogs out there) then jump in. If not, train to "your" standard (whatever floats your boat). Please, just don't use the meat dog excuse. Man up and just tell everyone that you are happy with "your" standards, and you just didn't feel like training to the higher standards required at the hunt tests.

If you'd just come out and observe, and quit listning to the BS you'd see.

Good luck either way you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    I don't need one of them "trial" dogs, I got a "meat" dog. So what I got to get a pocket full of rocks before I go hunting..........

People just use this for an excuse to have an untrained, out of control, hard headed, run all over God's creation, pain in the ass "meat" dog. They can't, or they are too lazy to actually train a dog to a nice Started or season level. Much less a Finished or Master level. So they jsut use the "meat" dog excuse.

For your #2 hesitation, somebody has sold you a bag of shat. It has nothing to do with the "tests" if a dog does not take well to hunting. It has EVERYTHING to do with the dog and the training/trainer.

And for your video, I didn't see the dog poping every 40 yards. He was taking decent lines and half ass stopping on the whistle. But, I aint got time to argue about that petty BS.

If you want a nice hunting dog that is trained to a higher standard, (than 95% of the "meat" dogs out there) then jump in. If not, train to "your" standard (whatever floats your boat). Please, just don't use the meat dog excuse. Man up and just tell everyone that you are happy with "your" standards, and you just didn't feel like training to the higher standards required at the hunt tests.

If you'd just come out and observe, and quit listning to the BS you'd see.

Good luck either way you choose.

I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER

Also, as to encouraging your dog to pop every 40 yards, I used to agree with you. I once thought it was actually pretty smart on a dog's part to check with the handler to see if they were on the right course. Once you hunt your dog more, you'll realize this can cause problems and is dangerous. Why is it dangerous? I've witnessed one or two dogs with popping issues in my life, and if you're hunting in water (expecially really cold water), it'll cause the dog to be exhausted. Simply put, popping can cause a blind which should take 2 minutes into a blind which takes 15 minutes. That's a LOT of extra time swimming (causing exhaustion), and extra time in cold water (hypothermia).

Lastly, while you say you "trained" him to pop every 40 yards, I can promise you that will change. As the dog learns that you don't try to stop his/her popping, he/she will start to pop much more frequently. "popping every 40 yards" will evolve into popping every 4 feet. Trust me, I know because I've seen it play out.
    Last edited by buckfarmer; 01-26-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Please do not think i am being lazy by not training up to "your standards".I work with my dogs most every night and at 8 months they were steady enough to have multiple dummies and birds tossed at and around them (they would not move even when they were hit by one), taking hand signals and running cold blinds. I am not lazy, just have a different way of getting there. I just started out trying to get to a different standard that has the same result as a you are trying to get at, an efficient hunting dog.

ANd for popping, It does not seem to transfer in the water for some reason. THe dog pops at 40 yards or so because thats where he gets rewarded for stopping on the whistle. Last night he has trying the every few steps popping and he was not rewarded. He was only rewarded when he stopped on the whistle and it stopped the popping problem quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    Please do not think i am being lazy by not training up to "your standards".I work with my dogs most every night and at 8 months they were steady enough to have multiple dummies and birds tossed at and around them (they would not move even when they were hit by one), taking hand signals and running cold blinds. I am not lazy, just have a different way of getting there. I just started out trying to get to a different standard that has the same result as a you are trying to get at, an efficient hunting dog.

ANd for popping, It does not seem to transfer in the water for some reason. THe dog pops at 40 yards or so because thats where he gets rewarded for stopping on the whistle. Last night he has trying the every few steps popping and he was not rewarded. He was only rewarded when he stopped on the whistle and it stopped the popping problem quickly.

Good luck with your dogs! You should really check out BOTH an HRC Finished test AND an AKC Master test. Stay on top of that popping thing. Just saying because I've dealt with my dog's popping problems every now and then...they would have been a non-issue if I had addressed them earlier!

HRCH Skyler HRC 500 point club

and full time duck dog that has picked up over 4000 waterfowl. You both will have fun doing it and it will keep him tuned up for the season.

80-20 Genaration

THe way i train my dogs leads them to pop every forty yards or so which is fine with me. And i would like the dog to run the bank there and back. anyway, if my goal is to have a dog that hunts like this...
    If you watch he pops a good bit and doesn't take a straight line to things, but i am impressed with this type of hunting dog
    Obviously the video is from a field trial from across the pond. Unfortunately, I don't believe there are many field trials conducted in this manner in the US. I have nothing really negative to say about them, just a different approach to determine the natural and trained abilities of the dog. If this was the only game around, I would train my dogs for this type of test. Though, I would probably struggle wearing the tweeds.

I recently had the pleasure to train a dog with only British field trial titles throughout the pedigree that performed well in HRC hunt tests to an HRCH level. That dog has picked up over 100 ducks out west over the past 2 seasons. She was not trained to pop on blinds.... she was trained to take straight lines.. and on occasions will knock down the blind pole.

We have a saying in the HRC program……"the line to blind is the line to the blind" ... there is no other line. I suspect your dog has the same potential abilities. Don't miss out on the journey.

As DM#1 says….you will have fun
    "I never met a dog I didn't like" ..slightly twisted words by Will Rogers

"When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog, point the finger at yourself"
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    "It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Why do hunt tests?
    To get a ribbon
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

I'm just being a smart a$$
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Please do not think i am being lazy by not training up to "your standards".

It's not "my" standards. It's the standards set by HRC and AKC rules and regulations.

On second thought.... yep, I guess it could be; because I train to that set standard.

Ahh heck, now I'm confused.......

Just kidding. Good luck, but I still think you need to check it out for yourself and quit listning to the BS form the "meat dawg" people.

I will come check them out these next few months. They do look like alot of fun. Just promise i won't get made fun of for carrying a clicker while training and i'll think about it, haha... ok maybe a little fun can be made

So i am debating on getting into these dog games with my dogs, but have a few hesitations.
    Hesitation #1: I don't know what outfit to put on my Golden
    Hesitation #2: I feel like to progress in the games could take some of the hunt out of the dog. For every story i have heard of a dog transitioning well from hunt tests to actual hunting, I have heard one of a great hunt test dog that wasn't worth squat hunting. I think they are the best way to mark traits to improve the breed in america and see that importance.

Anyway, if you do them, why? If you don't, why not?
    OK help me understand, (and Im honestly not trying to be a smartass). You feel like training your dog in a manner that would allow him to be successful in hunt tests would take some of the "hunt" out of him, yet you state in a later post that you've trained him to pop every 40 yards? Im sorry, but that doesnt make sense. It sounds like you've already taken all the "hunt" out of him if he turns around and looks at you for guidance every 40 yards. I dont know how you would train a dog to pop that often unless you took every ounce of confidence he had away from him in the process. Whistles sits arent rocket science, its basic obedience. The best piece of advice I've ever been given about dog training is insanely simple, "make the right thing easy and the wrong thing hard"

As far as the "I have heards" go, the best advice I can give you is to come to either CRC, Midland's, or Cherokee's Test and see for yourself.

BTW, Leave your preconcieved notions at the house, if you play enough of these games, you'll run into a couple of the "snooty dog people" types, but you'll have to look pretty damn hard to find one at any of the tests I mentioned.

EDIT: I didnt see your last post until I had submitted mine, but Im glad you're gonna come check it out. Nobody will make fun of your clicker, they're all gonna be talking shit to me about my new puppy, while all of their wives are gonna be following me around wanting to hold her.
    Last edited by FEETDOWN; 01-27-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I have gone about training in a bit of a different way with my dogs i think than is the norm. They have probably done more "blinds" than marks in their training so far. And by blinds i mean once they understand hand signals they don't see where the pile is anymore before i send them. And i try to stick with the ratio of one mark retrieved for every 3 or four thrown, thats alot of walking for me. So far it has worked out well i think. They are still young and need to work in areas with more distraction such as one of these events or training days with other dogs.
    And with the popping, "i have heard" (there i said it again) from folks training this way that as the pup matures he will pop less and less, but will still do it on occasion. Rarely though do they refuse a whistle.
    Looking forward to learning more and seeing how other folks work with their dogs, and i will leave my preconcieved notions at the house and i will not offer the Milner Kool aid to anyone.

Why do poodles tip toe on their water entry?

Ok, so when is the next test or training day near the Midlands?

I wants to come watch and learn a thing or 2 to make my "meat dawg" better.

In all seriousness, I like the way my dog is for my standards. But there are a couple areas I would like to improve on.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

CU, Ill try to set something up in the next couple weeks down buckshot's way. It probably wont be a full blown training day but I know birdboy and WREDrake are always up for running their mutts. We'll get together one weekend and run the dogs and drink a few barley pops.
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    CU, Ill try to set something up in the next couple weeks down buckshot's way. It probably wont be a full blown training day but I know birdboy and WREDrake are always up for running their mutts. We'll get together one weekend and run the dogs and drink a few barley pops.

Sounds like a plan to me. I'm already booked the weekend of the 18th.

Edit: figure most of y'all will be at the Charleston test that weekend though, eh?
    Last edited by cusportsman; 01-27-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

I am down for a training day at my place every weekend. As a matter of fact some of you on here are use to the idea that I will just be at the farm on Sunday afternoons. I am free to travel if you need my equipment and have a place to train.
    HRCH Werts's Rusty Explorer "Drake" MH

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Why do poodles tip toe on their water entry?

I'll bite. Why ?
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Keep it around 6-8 (including the three of us) and we can use my place

Quote Originally Posted by cusportsman View Post
    Sounds like a plan to me. I'm already booked the weekend of the 18th.
    through the weekend of the 18th for me..........first of March sometime?
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3