• Winchester

70 25.83%
  • Federal

54 19.93%
  • Kent

112 41.33%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Waterfowl Load

red box federals. 3" or 3.5" BBs. i shoot enough stuff to tell the difference.
    kent 3" 2s pattern great thru a patternmaster, but they dont measure up to redbox federales long range. of course if youre shooting woodies up close, it really doesnt matter.

im only telling yall this because wounding the few ducks we have is a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by scduckhunter83 View Post
    nothing works as good as lead shot. so when i feel like i can get away with it i shoot lead. when i hunt where im subject to get checked i shoot whatever steel is the cheapest and do the best i can do with it.
    Seriously?

Cue Trad.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    They'll all do the job if you hit the duck. Shell performance - 5%. Shooter performance 95%
    I think those numbers are a little skewed. Steel which maintains little energy by the time it reaches 30yds, sometimes doesn't kill birds even with a good pattern.

Even though the tungsten mixes cost more per shell, if costs less per hunt because you don't need kill shots, or waste more shells on birds you hit but swim, or even fly, off. The bird is dead or you missed.
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-15-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Had two drylok shell seperate (plastic hull from the brass) and the hull get lodged in the barrel. Digging that out was fun. both shells came from the same box, probably a fluke but it switched me to Kent.
    "Lord prop me up in all my leanin places"

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    I just like saying Dik Dik

i go for the cheaper stuff. i shot a box of black clouds and they shot just as good as the winchester experts. winchester experts may have even shot better, but i normal stick to 3 inch # 2. 3 1/2 for geese

Quote Originally Posted by AH HOLY View Post
    I shoot 3in #2's, i have found it works for me.
    enough said

Black Cloud #3's. I shoot em at everything from mallards to teal. Not much leaves. Killed 2 redheads in 1 shot last season and they bled like stuck hogs. Surprisingly, they don't mess the meat up any worse than regular steel. Only down side, you can't shoot geese with em. Gotta have #2's, so I keep my loops on my waders full of 2's just for that purpose. Merry Christmas.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson