Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Deer tag meetings

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop 13 View Post
    And 47 states have shorter season and redicoluos restrictions that takes away from the sport tremendously.

I have to disagree with you on this. Those restrictive states have some of the best deer hunting in the country.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    Big timber, do you vote republican?
    Conservative is how I prefer to vote, but conservative is not always an option even with Republican candidates.

If you are against all fish and game laws I understand the libertarian view, but as long we have some laws protecting game the laws should be sound. Unlimited bucks for 4.5 months isn't sound; it is an antiquated law based on carpetbag politics not wildlife management.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 08-29-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    I have to disagree with you on this. Those restrictive states have some of the best deer hunting in the country.
    True, and most of states allow for additional landowner tags.

Yup. You don't see sights like this heading to SC in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Conservative is how I prefer to vote, but conservative is not always an option even with Republican candidates.

If you are against all fish and game laws I understand the libertarian view, but as long we have some laws protecting game the laws should be sound. Unlimited bucks for 4.5 months isn't sound; it is an antiquated law based on carpetbag politics not wildlife management.
    I am for more enforcement of the laws in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    The depredation argument does not hold water when comparing that to buck tags.

First and for most no buck can be shot using a depredation tag period!

There is a lot of misconceptions about the way in which dep tags are used and dispersed.

A farmer has to prove via visual evidence that there is crop damage being done to a DNR officer.

A series of tags usually 5-10 tags will be given to said farmer. If said farmer uses all of the tags he can apply for more but will have to demonstrate that further removal of deer is necessary to ensure crop mortality. Most permits are written for 30 days at a time. The time limit can be and usually are renewed, but only allow for the use of the original tags.

Each deer shot must be tagged. The deer does not have to be removed from the field however DNR recommends you not waste the meat, but the deer must be tagged. Tags are not to be used only when you transport a deer. They are to be used each time a animal is taken.

If a farmer is shooting 5-10-50 deer and leaving them with out tagging as to not "use his tags" is breaking the law.

In many instances a farmer may only be given 10-15 tags for 5k acres that is already split up by miles of forest in between.

If you think about that the numbers are extremely low in what is legally allowed to be taken.

So as a recap no bucks are allowed to be taken. Current deer hunting laws allow for 2 bucks per day 5 total for 2 game zones and NO LIMIT on bucks during the season!

I don't see the correlation between depredation tags and buck tags.
    Sorry I am late to the thread but, come on. REALLY? You seriously need to pull your head out of your ass and take a deep breath of reality. I know that is how it is supposed to work but that is nothing close. We got permits for 5 years straight where no officer stepped foot on our property. Every farmer I know (and there are many) will tell you deer are the devil and they want them all dead. They will all shoot a buck in a heartbeat in June. And if you say they won't, tell me how to see a cow horn in velvet standing 200 yards away in a spotlight and I will kiss your ass. I know they have a lively hood to protect, but get real! I even asked Ruth how we got tags without an agent coming out and he told me out of his mouth that once you have a problem a year or two in a row, they assume you still have a problem again.
    Last edited by redhead25; 08-29-2015 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redhead25 View Post
    Sorry I am late to the thread but, come on. REALLY? You seriously need to pull your head out of your ass and take a deep breath of reality. I know that is how it is supposed to work but that is nothing close. We got permits for 5 years straight where no officer stepped foot on our property. Every farmer I know (and there are many) will tell you deer are the devil and they want them all dead. They will all shoot a buck in a heartbeat in June. And if you say they won't, tell me how to see a cow horn in velvet standing 200 yards away in a spotlight and I will kiss your ass. I know they have a lively hood to protect, but get real! I even asked Ruth how we got tags without an agent coming out and he told me out of his mouth that once you have a problem a year or two in a row, they assume you still have a problem again.

Your approach of trying to run around with a q beam and your Remington woods master says it all.

Carry on!

1 If those states hunting is so great and Sc sucks move out there and leave Sc alone.
    You have 47 to choose from or hunt all of them.

2 west Virginia has 2 weeks of buck season. Do you think they had the same season before they started dealing with tags. This is what Will happen to Sc if gov gets there hands on it. They don't know how to get their hands on one thing and quit it keeps going till you don't have a season looking enough to enjoy.

3 insurance, retirement,taking care of hard working folks that support their family, the gov is in on all of these and look where it is now. Getting worse by the day. Only ones benefiting from this are crooks,lazy people,and others that aren't worth the bullet it would take to kill them.

This will be no different than them trying to put stricter gun laws on law abiding citizens. The crooks/non law abiding citizens don't change their ways they take advantage of knowing they are the only ones with a gun in the building cause there is a no concealed weapon sign on door.

Hunters can fix problem in Sc with low deer numbers without any help from dnr,.gov or anybody else that doesn't know when to quit taking away.

But the reason it won't be fixed is due to management practices that restricts you to shoot does for freezer meat and let all bucks walk unless it is a b&c buck.

does killing a deer with big horns make you more of a man?
    cut\'em

Tags will fit on small bucks too.

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/D...vice=phone&c=y

Ok. Now see this is one of the problems. This lady is trying to convince us that she does not trophy hunt at all. She only hunts for meat to feed the family.

Had she not had half of the house so weighted down with so many mounted deer that the house was catywhompussed this may would be believable.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with stating one is pursuing to attempt to kill or has killed because the animal is a large representation of the species.

There is no need to justify killing a really nice buck with the whole "I'm gonna feed the trailer park mentality."

It's like trying to say making money is a bad thing. Mean while working 2 jobs or extra hours so you can have a little extra money???

We are gaining more "non-traditional" hunters and this is good for several reasons the more folks that get involved with hunting the less likely it will be anti-hunting legislation can pass, and in many senses it protects gun rights, but not so much in a direct manner.

Women becoming more interested in hunting grows the sport.

However one of the down sides to so many people becoming involved in deer hunting is there is now a tree stand on every other tree in the woods. They say all these junk cars are being sold as scrap to take to china. I'm not sure they are not going strait back into the woods just deer stands now!

All this extra pressure and contact with humans is making a more formidable prey. I don't necessarily think in all instances deer numbers are quite as low as some would have you think. I would submit to you that deer are creatures that can learn behavior from each other. In a effort to survive some of the deer have developed ways to overt human encounters!

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Your approach of trying to run around with a q beam and your Remington woods master says it all.

Carry on!
    Reading comprehension must not be your thing. Show me where I said it was my approach.
    . I did not participate be a use I do not believe in orphaning fawns in may. However I do see it all the time.

Having an enforceable limit for whitetail bucks is not a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Why?
    Deer numbers are down yet ANYONE can purchase 4 doe tags as well as shoot does on doe days. Wouldn't cutting back in these two areas solve the problem?
    4 doe tags limits the damage a guy next door can do on a small parcel, unlimited bucks does not. What is wrong limiting bucks too? If a hunter has enough access to kill more than 4 the ADQP is an viable option. The only problem I see is some clubs have a few members killing most of the bucks and those members do not like the idea of evenly dividing the bucks tags evenly like most do with doe tags. I am guessing the casual members do not follow game laws, but given the opportunity they would support evenly dividing buck tags.
    So I would assume from your statement above that you are concerned with trying to increase the overall age of the deer herd by putting a tagging system in place?
    If increasing the herd numbers were the goal, wouldn't it make sense to eliminate some of the ability to harvest does? As it stands, a hunter can get 4 doe tags to use anytime after September 15 and there are 8 doe days. That is 12 does a hunter could harvest and I can assure you that 100's of people are doing this. Limiting hunters to 4 doe tags would be great if the doe days are eliminated and your goal is to increase the numbers. To me it seems easy to increase the numbers by doing this while not altering the bucks. A buck can breed many does yet a doe can only have so many fawns.

So I ask, why change the number of bucks that can be harvested?
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

The bill does eliminate doe days. All deer will have to be tagged. There would no limit on bucks or does, both will just have to be tagged and more 8 a hunter will need additional property to support the harvest.

That's the way I understand it BT. Don't know what the fuss is about. Everyone had to know this day was coming. Good, Bad or indifferent change will happen and life will go on. Kill what you want, I could care less. Try to kill em all. Hell, me and my family/friends have been trying for years and the heard seems fine where I hunt.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

The bill does eliminate doe days. All deer will have to be tagged. There would no limit on bucks or does, both will just have to be tagged and more 8 a hunter will need additional property to support the harvest.
    You did not answer my question. Nor does your last sentence make sense.
    Last edited by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner; 08-30-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Under the current bill if a hunter wants to kill more than 8 deer he would have enrolled a property in the ADQP where the harvest is based on the size of the property.

As far as management that allows a hunter to kill unlimited bucks for 4.5 months on a small property is not sensible. That is what you need to spin to justify.

Under the current bill if a hunter wants to kill more than 8 deer he would have enrolled a property in the ADQP where the harvest is based on the size of the property.
    As far as management that allows a hunter to kill unlimited bucks for 4.5 months on a small property is not sensible. That is what you need to spin to justify.
    ADQP is a JOKE. Where will the funds come from to pay all the biologists to survey all the parcels of land which would be enrolled? Nowhere. They will pull a number out of their tail. Not a single person (here, DNR, House, Senate) has been able to say WHAT would determine the number of bucks allowed in the ADQP program for a certain parcel of land.

Now again, if the purpose of implementing a tagging system is because the total numbers are down statewide (not to increase the size of our bucks), then why limit bucks? From the DNR website - "From a management standpoint, tagging all deer is beneficial because it would allow better regulation and manipulation of the harvest of antlerless deer (doe deer). This is important as we attempt to mitigate the impact of coyotes on future deer management." How does "tagging all deer" allow better regulation of the harvest of does?

And for the record, I am NOT against a tagging system. However, the plan proposed does NOT make sense to me for logical reasons, hence all the discussion.