Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey call whores

Default Hey call whores

So my 5th anniversary is coming up in December. The "traditional" grift is something made of wood. I want a nice wooden call made(not a shelf call, one to actually hunt with). Give me some suggestions. Lares and RM Custom calls are on the short list.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Lares are awesome. RM look like garbage.

They aren't...nice try though.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

It's not the most beautiful call and it won't turn human heads but a cocobola Commander-and-chief will turn ducks heads.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Either of those would be great. Don't overlook Doc Hull from Nebraska.

www.doccalls.com

He has built me some dandies..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

You know RH, I've looked at those calls several times and came really close to buying one a time or two, I just have a hard time wanting to spend that much money on a DC call. I've got a couple of the cheaper ones and had no problems killing ducks with them. Just feel funny about the CIC calls for some reason...no offense meant.

Never heard of him nitro...I'll check him out.
    Last edited by quackaddict; 07-12-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Doc Hull makes a bad azz call. Great sound, craftsmanship and materials. All of Doc's wood calls are custom. Get one in Ironwood if you don't have a call from that wood..

He can build a basic call to the full blown fancy show calls. I highly recommend him..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

It's made of bamboo and I can get some notes that ducks can get down to:

At least I'm housebroken.

I don't have a wooden Lares call, I do have an acrylic one though, it's a nice one. I have 4 or 5 wooden calls made by Johns Spotts, they are good looking, sound good, and you can get them for less then $70. He and his wife sell them on eBay and they will engrave anything you want on them. I have two matching calls, one I bought about a year ago, and the other I had made when my son was born with his name and birth date enscribed on it that matched mine. Both have a metallic duck head attached to it.

(Lares on left, my sons in the middle, and mine on the right)

If I was going to buy something right now that you knew you could find on the market, it would be a Kirk McCullough modified keyhole Olt. I have one already, but he quit cutting Olt's a while back and I can see the prices for those going up considerably in the future. It's a plastic call though.

On my short list, is an Iverson call. I already have a whistle. You're going to have to spend at the least $250-$300 though.

Rough cut by Wayne Betts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Have you tried mashin' ctrl/alt/del?

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    You know RH, I've looked at those calls several times...no offense meant.
    No offense taken. I would have never bought it myself. My friend from the west coast bought it for me after I put him on a black drake.

Besides, I'm not a call whore.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 07-12-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Default Re: Hey call whores

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNH603 View Post
    Lares are awesome. RM look like garbage.
    That's just stupid. I'm not much into call collecting but as far as appearance, RM has some of the sweetest looking calls out there.

Sent from my GS4 using Tapatalk 4 beta

Harper Bottom Custom Calls
    “We as a group now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live
    in ignorance. Once you become knowledgeable, you have an obligation to do
    something about it.”—Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mornin Woodie View Post
    Harper Bottom Custom Calls
    Looks like all they use is Echo inserts.

I would highly reccomend a particular Yentzen, but some Old Man bought every single one in the factory when they quit production.

Doc Hull makes a beautiful duck call. I own several.

Dont forget to check out our Sponsors at Big Lake Duck Calls. They are locally made and will custom fit to match your style.

DN, I've been wanting a Chein for a long time too. Almost as bad as a Lares.

HH#12, I remember you telling me about those Spotts last year. Thanks for the reminder.

RH, I've notice that about you.

Ill check out those Betts and Harper Bottoms.

Someone, maybe you Hagen, has a thing for Watkins calls. I really want to like them, but I haven't heard a sound clip that perked up my ear yet.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    Looks like all they use is Echo inserts.
    That's exactly what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I would highly reccomend a particular Yentzen, but some Old Man bought every single one in the factory when they quit production.
    You mean like this one?

Last edited by quackaddict; 07-12-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Close but not quite. Mine got eaten 2 labs ago or I would take a pic... Old Man is hoarding all of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    DN, I've been wanting a Chein for a long time too. Almost as bad as a Lares.

HH#12, I remember you telling me about those Spotts last year. Thanks for the reminder.

RH, I've notice that about you.

Ill check out those Betts and Harper Bottoms.

Someone, maybe you Hagen, has a thing for Watkins calls. I really want to like them, but I haven't heard a sound clip that perked up my ear yet.
    Not me, I don't own a Watkins call. I didn't mention Big Lake because I've never blown one of their wooden calls. I'll highly recommend the D2T2 model they make. Romeo mentioned them last year but I didn't pay it much attention because they're double reeds and I had never had one I liked. I blew one at the Classic and loved it. It's one of the top 3 sounding calls I own.