Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tree suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    You don't have to plant whips. If your budget can stand it there are places to buy mature trees. Lots of nurseries offer 6-10 foot Oaks and maples for $100 a piece

Dogwoods are always nice in a Southern yard and are reasonably priced too.
    I plan to go this route. I’m very impatient and will pay extra up front to shave a few years wait time

If you buy mature trees , they usually have a one year warranty against death. Not a bad plan.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I’d lean against planting maples in your yard. While they look good and can grow relatively fast, the roots like to come to the surface and run across the ground making it a pain to cut grass around them. I planted two big ones (4” diameter, 15’ tall) in my yard 3 years ago not thinking about the root issue. They’ll be cut down as soon as the adjacent oaks I planted catch traction and start growing good. For what you’re trying to do, willow oaks are probably the best. If you have a decent site and a way to keep the water to them they’ll grow very fast.

I’d lean against planting maples in your yard. While they look good and can grow relatively fast, the roots like to come to the surface and run across the ground making it a pain to cut grass around them. I planted two big ones (4” diameter, 15’ tall) in my yard 3 years ago not thinking about the root issue. They’ll be cut down as soon as the adjacent oaks I planted catch traction and start growing good. For what you’re trying to do, willow oaks are probably the best. If you have a decent site and a way to keep the water to them they’ll grow very fast.

We heard you the first time.

Blackgum (wildfire variety if you can find it)
    Princeton Elm
    Service berry closer to the house
    All the oaks mentioned
    Red Maple if you are prepared to widen a mulch ring under the drip line to cover shallow roots
    Sugar Maple if you can find the barbatum variety Aka Florida Sugar Maple or Southern Sugar maple.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I've got a sweet gum in front of the riverhouse that I cuss 8 months out of the year. The other four months, it throws a great shade over the front of my house in the mid morning to mid afternoon hours.
    Nice. Shade makes the prickly balls tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I've got a sweet gum in front of the riverhouse that I cuss 8 months out of the year. The other four months, it throws a great shade over the front of my house in the mid morning to mid afternoon hours.
    I've got one behind the house and I feel you on hating it the majority of the year. I've bitched about having to get those gumballs up every week until here recently when all the leaves finally reappeared. This one is probably 10-12' diameter so you can only imagine how far the branches extend out over the backyard.

River birch grow fast too.
    867-5309

River Birch do grow fast, but I’d do sawtooth oaks if it were me. Just keep the fertilizer to them and they will grow like a weed

Quote Originally Posted by awest79 View Post
    Blackgum (wildfire variety if you can find it)
    Princeton Elm
    Service berry closer to the house
    All the oaks mentioned
    Red Maple if you are prepared to widen a mulch ring under the drip line to cover shallow roots
    Sugar Maple if you can find the barbatum variety Aka Florida Sugar Maple or Southern Sugar maple.
    You know of any good places around that have a few to let go of? Would love to get a hold of some 15 ft oaks and some red maple/sugar maples.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    You don't have to plant whips. If your budget can stand it there are places to buy mature trees. Lots of nurseries offer 6-10 foot Oaks and maples for $100 a piece.
    This.

Live Oaks will grow faster than you think......just buy 8-10 ft.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-21-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Don't fuck with those red maples. Come to my house and I will show you why. Looking for a reason to die. they get bores...Mine are the first to lose leaves and the last to get them back. They are pretty for 2 days....with no wind.

What about Pin Oaks?
    Last edited by SCDAWG; 05-21-2021 at 11:56 AM.

SW + fig, persimmon and mulberry
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Magnolias are great for several reasons. Foremost the ammunition that they provide for the kids...

Damn a Crepe Myrtle...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Magnolias are great for several reasons. Foremost the ammunition that they provide for the kids...
    "Grennnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade!!!!!!!!"
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I've got Sawtooths, nuttal, shumard all on my place I planted back in the winter. The sawtooths are already taking off and I ain't touched them.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Damn a Crepe Myrtle...
    And the truck that brung em

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    You know of any good places around that have a few to let go of? Would love to get a hold of some 15 ft oaks and some red maple/sugar maples.
    We get most of the trees we plant around the city from Marty Cook in Gray Court or Ray Bracken in Piedmont. If I was going to do any planting this time of year it needs to be close to a water source or irrigated. Fall is the best time especially if you are planting B&B deciduous trees.