Thread: First half marathon

Default First half marathon

Raced in my first half today. Rock and roll series in Savannah. Been running consistently about 1 year 10 months. Bumped up my weekly mileage to about 40-45 the past 4 months to prepare. Mostly easy paced runs, long runs 12-17 miles, occasional tempo or progression runs when it felt right. Goal was sub 1:26, ran 1:23:52 with 2% negative splits. Managed to snag 2nd age group 40-44. 18th out of 6207. Wish they did masters awards, would have gotten 2nd overall.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Congrats!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

That's hauling ass!

Congrats.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Hell yeah you did! That’s moving boy.
    Carolina Counsel

Very Nice! My wife just ran her first half today also. She did not run since she was in junior high and she started two years ago at 51.When she first started she could not run a 1/4 mile without stopping. She was out of breath before leaving the parking lot. She was a smoker, heavy and had a piss poor diet. She changed all that and looks ten years younger at least. She says she never felt better

Good deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome!

Awesome. I am trying to get there but plantar fasciitis keeps having other thoughts
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Awesome. I am trying to get there but plantar fasciitis keeps having other thoughts
    Plantar is an absolute bitch.

If you don’t have one of these I highly recommend.

ProStretch "Blue" - The Original Calf Stretcher & Foot Rocker for Plantar Fasciitis, Achilles Tendonitis & Tight Calf Pain (Slip Resistant Bottom) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GAAXGK..._mXW3Bb85Q2FQ6

SHOWOFF!!! Congrats on the work and awesome results. I am very jealous of both1

Congrats! I finished my first Ironman 70.3 in September on my 54th Birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by scbulldog View Post
    Very Nice! My wife just ran her first half today also. She did not run since she was in junior high and she started two years ago at 51.When she first started she could not run a 1/4 mile without stopping. She was out of breath before leaving the parking lot. She was a smoker, heavy and had a piss poor diet. She changed all that and looks ten years younger at least. She says she never felt better
    That's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Never had that issue. Running does suck tough, im not gonna lie. It's rough on the body, had to force myself a few times to run through aches and pains. Ive had had left hip/sciatica issues since last year. More recently since increasing mileage its been shin splints on my right leg. About to take a couple weeks off now to get some good recovery.

That is a great time in the half. My wife ran it and said it was a good race. I am currently training for the P200 team event in March.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post

ProStretch "Blue" - The Original Calf Stretcher & Foot Rocker for Plantar Fasciitis, Achilles Tendonitis & Tight Calf Pain (Slip Resistant Bottom) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GAAXGK..._mXW3Bb85Q2FQ6

Thanks. Haven’t tried that one yet but will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by swamp fox View Post
    Never had that issue. Running does suck tough, im not gonna lie. It's rough on the body, had to force myself a few times to run through aches and pains. Ive had had left hip/sciatica issues since last year. More recently since increasing mileage its been shin splints on my right leg. About to take a couple weeks off now to get some good recovery.
    Started training for a half last fall and got it in december. Finally went and got a cortisone shot and PT in May and felt a lot better and back to moving and started training again until 4 weeks ago and it is back. Really need to get some weight off before I start running again I think. Problem is running is my preferred exercise and I actually enjoy it.
    cut\'em

Weight can be a big deal for most. I've always been scrawny, so i guess i that's a plus for me. Racing is exciting and adrenaline packed, the training can become mundane. I do enjoy running, just sucks sometimes when you have a weekly mileage goal to meet and you'd rather be in the deer stand.

Quote Originally Posted by jwmetz View Post
    That is a great time in the half. My wife ran it and said it was a good race. I am currently training for the P200 team event in March.
    Im doing the palmetto 70 with a few friends, never done a relay before. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post

I just ordered one. My calves give me a fit all the time. Thanks for the recommendation!

Congratulations but, thanks, now my knees hurt....
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Damn, that's hauling! Congrats
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge