Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Can't shoot just one

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    not everyone can tell the difference between a black, mottled, and hybrid in flight much less if it's banded.
    The real question is, which limit does the hybrid apply to, or is that freebie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    The real question is, which limit does the hybrid apply to, or is that freebie?
    A hybrid always counts as the most liberal of the two species.

Example

Mallard/blackduck = mallard

Pintail/widgeon= widgeon

Redhead/ringneck=ringneck

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-23-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Default Can't shoot just one

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    What if you jumped 1000 mallards out of a naturally flooded corn field on an out of state trip. The next morning you set up in the right spot. At legal shooting time a swarm of ducks come straight toward you. You see nothing but silhouettes as you watch them cup with the sun rising directly behind them. Without a single pass they do it right in your face.

Take um is called.

The first three retrieves are pintails and the dog is sent back for more. Someone asks is what is the limit on pins? An internet search reveals one per person. The dog piles them up until twice the legal limit is at your feet.

What do you do next?
    First off, I wouldn’t setup with the sun in my face. That’s ’just dummer than shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by quackaddict; 12-23-2021 at 01:54 PM.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Bullshit
    Correct. Try hunting with a grumpy old colorblind cat whose penalties for breaking his duck hunting laws, bring a level of suffering far more than any Greenjeans can inflict. Do mistakes happen? Of course. Sometimes you see it wrong, sometimes it's just bycatch. But, if you can't identify silhouetted ducks by sex and species, you might as well stay home, because that is where you are headed anyway...

Sounds like a tough ole cat.
    Low country redneck who moved north

4 pages and the answer is clearly 2…. Damn you people
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

How many boolets does the hypothetical hunter have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Who shoots ducks in the air???

I won't shoot one on the water unless wounded or a cormorant.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Of course you won’t.

I have no issue shooting hens. If the choice is available, shoot the drakes. If you're trying to scratch out a bag, hens are fair game. But damn, not knowing what you're shooting at?

i love shooting ducks on the water, its the 0.35 seconds before pulling the trigger that gets me excited.
    Doves, on the other hand, shoot doves in the air.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Oh, yeah. Nice drake wigeon lights outside the decoys, the outside edge of effective range, its 9:00 am, bright and still, and we got one bird between us? His head's high, he knows something's up? I'm sightin' down that rib, covering his ass with that muzzle, dropping it a bit, and, KaBoom!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSprig View Post
    i love shooting ducks on the water, its the 0.35 seconds before pulling the trigger that gets me excited.
    Doves, on the other hand, shoot doves in the air.
    I’ll shoot one off the wire. Why not? It’s my field if that matters.
    Go Tigers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Oh, yeah. Nice drake wigeon lights outside the decoys, the outside edge of effective range, its 9:00 am, bright and still, and we got one bird between us? His head's high, he knows something's up? I'm sightin' down that rib, covering his ass with that muzzle, dropping it a bit, and, KaBoom!
    Yep
    Go Tigers!!!

If a duck finishes in the decoys, I've done it completely right, I see no shame smashing that joker in the head on the water.

If young duck hunters would be taught to water swat we'd have a heck of a lot less skybusting.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

If a duck finishes in the decoys, I've done it completely right, I see no shame smashing that joker in the head on the water.

If young duck hunters would be taught to water swat we'd have a heck of a lot less skybusting.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post

This right here.
    More Ducks, Less People

If I wanted to shoot a duck off the water I may as well get the rifle and shoot a deer. The thrill is gone for me.

I am 63 yo and duck hunting has been my gig since 12 yo. I am a seasoned hunter. Ducks still amaze me on occasions. I have accidentally flushed hundreds off a slough and none return for the next day hunt. Other times I am pleasantly surprised by an unexpected visit of a species.

Opening day in SC I hunted a beaver dam. We killed 5 species. Had all their toes. I was not able to identify each species before pulling the trigger partly because I was tasked with watching upstream when most came from downstream. Dim light. Hunting partners that called the shots from their direction. No circling. There simply was not time to identify. Sorry if I do not meet your hunting standards.

Woodie, gadwall, mallard, widgeon and teal in a beaver pond. Pleasantly Surprised.