Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tag System

Default Tag System

This may have been brought up before, but what is preventing South Carolina from having a game check app like Georgia has. I had a tag come off a deer the other night in the rain. The system of paper tags is antiquated and less than efficient. I would think an app based system would allow data to be more easily collected and observed. An app that would act as your license and allow for game check would be a really nice improvement.

We'll get there eventually. A toll free phone reporting system too. (not everyone has a cell phone)
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Island Hunter View Post
    This may have been brought up before, but what is preventing South Carolina from having a game check app like Georgia has. I had a tag come off a deer the other night in the rain. The system of paper tags is antiquated and less than efficient. I would think an app based system would allow data to be more easily collected and observed. An app that would act as your license and allow for game check would be a really nice improvement.
    Money.

Same answer politicians always say. Need more money. But yeah it seems like if we were going to implement a new system we would try to go with more recent technology. But it's not like the GA would know what to do with actual harvest numbers or facts. They'd rather just base it on the word of their Sunday school class. Or host public meetings and see who yells the loudest (another antiquated idea).

And everyone doesn't have a cell phone is ridiculous. Not directed at you cajun. I have heard it many times. Some people don't have a car. Doesn't mean we all have to walk. And last I checked the federal government is giving out free cell phones. Now the state government tells me we can't do something because it's not fair to the people that don't have a cell phone?

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Same answer politicians always say. Need more money. But yeah it seems like if we were going to implement a new system we would try to go with more recent technology. But it's not like the GA would know what to do with actual harvest numbers or facts. They'd rather just base it on the word of their Sunday school class. Or host public meetings and see who yells the loudest (another antiquated idea).

And everyone doesn't have a cell phone is ridiculous. Not directed at you cajun. I have heard it many times. Some people don't have a car. Doesn't mean we all have to walk. And last I checked the federal government is giving out free cell phones. Now the state government tells me we can't do something because it's not fair to the people that don't have a cell phone?
    In most cases I would agree. However, it still blows my mind that I pay the same thing for a hunting license that I did like 15 years ago. IMO fees should go up every year to at least keep up with inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Money.
    Bull butter. A system could be easily put in place for what one years worth of tag printing and postage would cost the DNR. SC is just stupid and despite there being successful precedent set in the area of game and resource management they choose to be difficult and contrarian just to be difficult and contrarian. Things don't have to always be complicated to be effective.

The apps are already out there and built. Simply scratch out Tennessee or Georgia and write in SC and let it get to work. But nooooo. Gotta keep the tags and weird system so some reps black sheep brother in law who started a printing company can make his parents proud; this time.

It could, but do we really want it. I think we've made deer hunting aggravating enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Bull butter. A system could be easily put in place for what one years worth of tag printing and postage would cost the DNR. SC is just stupid and despite there being successful precedent set in the area of game and resource management they choose to be difficult and contrarian just to be difficult and contrarian. Things don't have to always be complicated to be effective.

The apps are already out there and built. Simply scratch out Tennessee or Georgia and write in SC and let it get to work. But nooooo. Gotta keep the tags and weird system so some reps black sheep brother in law who started a printing company can make his parents proud; this time.
    But you can pay some 57 year old lady $15 a hour to monitor the antiquated system in place now. You introduce Apps and other technology, you're going to need to pay for developers/engineers to maintain and fix issues. Cost difference is pretty large.

Really want what? An app? Absolutely. It's simple, efficient and less aggravating.

But you can pay some 57 year old lady $15 a hour to monitor the antiquated system in place now. You introduce Apps and other technology, you're going to need to pay for developers/engineers to maintain and fix issues. Cost difference is pretty large.
    That's BS dude. There is an App for literally everything. It's not that hard.......

I'm on like app number three, like I've downloaded in my entire life. I would think our lawmakers would write something so difficult to use that we would be wanting the paper tags back. That's how I feel, I mean I might be wrong.. but

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    That's BS dude. There is an App for literally everything. It's not that hard.......
    I'm not saying it is hard. I'm saying the workforce the SCDNR currently has probably doesn't have the skills to maintain the system. They have a hard enough time maintaining their antiquated processes now.

In most cases I would agree. However, it still blows my mind that I pay the same thing for a hunting license that I did like 15 years ago. IMO fees should go up every year to at least keep up with inflation.
    I don't want an automatic rate increase every year. But a rate increase of a few dollars wouldn't have been a big deal if they could tell us what we were getting.

But that bill turned into a political issue with people seeing who could complain the loudest. So now we receive a fat envelope in the mail with date specific doe tags. Because we didn't want to raise the rates or take anything away from people or spend any money on a new system. I can't see how the postage and man power to process all those tags is cheaper than an electronic system.

I can see having the option for that thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I'm on like app number three, like I've downloaded in my entire life. I would think our lawmakers would write something so difficult to use that we would be wanting the paper tags back. That's how I feel, I mean I might be wrong.. but
    For sure. The best developer in the world can't make an app simple if the process is a clusterf**k.

(I included the *'s just for you)

No matter the method of data collection the outcome will be the same, more restrictive on bucks.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    No matter the method of data collection the outcome will be the same, more restrictive on bucks.
    I know most wont agree and I don’t care, but that is a good thing.

Well then they should stop doe specific days.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Hunter View Post
    what is preventing South Carolina from having a game check app like Georgia has.
    New here?

Millero and Bub could knock that shit out in a week. A week.