Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What arrows do y'all use?

Default What arrows do y'all use?

Hey fellas,
    I just upgraded bows and switched from my Parker Wildfire to a much more recognizable bow...2010 Matthews DXT. I love everything about it, its much lighter, faster, quieter, and more accurate.

Bottom line is: I need to get some new arrows and was wondering what were y'alls favorite arrows to shoot. I have heard great things about the carbon express maxima reds. I know they are pricey but have heard good things about them.

So, are they worth buying? If not, what are y'all using? Any thoughts?

I shoot Maxima Reds and like them but haven't shot many others so take that for what it's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Black eagle

carbon express maxima reds...gold tip arrows aren't bad either and I believe they are a little cheaper
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Gold Tips have always done good by me. Grew up on em and still use em. I use the Pro hunters. Im sure there are better arrows out there, but if it aint broke why fix it.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”

― Norman Maclean

I shoot the $5 eastons I get at the local archery shot. They kill the hell out of them like all the rest. Your broad heads are the only thing that matter! I hate bow hunting but I'm not sitting on the couch waiting on rifle season while others are in the woods!

Shoot the one with pointy ends.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Gold tips, easton carbon express will shatter if you hit something hard.

Goldtips, get the 5575 spline in either the xt hunter, Pro hunter, or expedition hunters. They are strong as hell, tune well, hold a great grouping with consistent energy at long ranges, and they are easy on the wallet. Used them for years, and seen many of event where they should have broke, but didn't.
    Last edited by dhall1693; 03-31-2015 at 08:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Lots of good arrows available. I shoot Maxima Hunters, not necessarily because I think they're the best, but because I've shot them for quite a while and don't want to tune to anything else. Getting the correct spine and length is more important than brand. FWIW, the maxima hunters are tough as chinese arithmetic, as I'm sure many others are.

Maxima mutiny's are pretty good.

I shoot pile drivers.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    Your broad heads are the only thing that matter!
    Explain please:
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1693 View Post
    Explain please:
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them. You can give me any arrows, any grain and in about 20 minutes I will have them grouping tight as dicks hatband up to 40 yards. Now oh course, all your arrows and points need to be the same gain in weight. From my 20 years of bow hunting, the main thing is to pick a good broadhead. I have never shot expandables, but I can't count the number of stories I've heard about not being able to recover hit animals. In my simple little mind, I know that the expansion of the blades has to create more drag than fixed blades which means more energy lost. You tip whatever arrows you've got with a muzzy 100 3 or 4 blade and you will find all of your deer hit good within about 30 to 60 yards. The main thing with bow hunting is to not take stupid shots. If they don't present you with a good shot in your comfort range don't shoot!

Beman

I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them. You can give me any arrows, any grain and in about 20 minutes I will have them grouping tight as dicks hatband up to 40 yards. Now oh course, all your arrows and points need to be the same gain in weight. From my 20 years of bow hunting, the main thing is to pick a good broadhead. I have never shot expandables, but I can't count the number of stories I've heard about not being able to recover hit animals. In my simple little mind, I know that the expansion of the blades has to create more drag than fixed blades which means more energy lost. You tip whatever arrows you've got with a muzzy 100 3 or 4 blade and you will find all of your deer hit good within about 30 to 60 yards. The main thing with bow hunting is to not take stupid shots. If they don't present you with a good shot in your comfort range don't shoot!
    Well I just be damn.............

I started shooting beman night fall arrows. Like them pretty good so far

This is the biggest load of crap I've heard all week...

Good golly yep bow hunting is that simple....
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”

― Norman Maclean

wow, you mean I don't have to worry about arrow spine, etc, any arrow will group. And to think of the money I've wasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

on a more useful note, I shoot Easton FMJ. Toughest arrow I've ever shot and I've been through CE, beman, goldtip. I like a heavy arrow though, just shy of 500 grains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.