Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: will the real paleo please stand up

Last I checked it was.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Last I checked it was.
    So I should eat vegetables....but not cabbage?

The point was, there's no reason to freak out over "hormone implanted" meat. It's a naturally occuring hormone. It has minimal amounts of it in the meat, and something like say, cabbage, has a few hundred times more of the hormone than this scary fraken-meat everyone is worrying about now.

But if you're too stupid to understand what I was getting at, the organic hormone-free grass finished beef is usually right beside the normal meat. And skip the cabbage as a side dish.
    Last edited by quackaddict; 10-01-2014 at 01:51 PM.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

The point was, there's no reason to freak out over "hormone implanted" meat. It's a naturally occuring hormone. It has minimal amounts of it in the meat, and something like say, cabbage, has a few hundred times more of the hormone than this scary fraken-meat everyone is worrying about now.

But if you're too stupid to understand what I was getting at, the organic hormone-free grass finished beef is usually right beside the normal meat. And skip the cabbage as a side dish.
    I don't consider myself to be stupid. It could just be all the coleslaw and red meat I had for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    I don't consider myself to be stupid. It could just be all the coleslaw and red meat I had for lunch.
    Too much estrogen in your diet will cause your brain to no longer function correctly.

Too much estrogen in your diet will cause your brain to no longer function correctly.
    That's why women ain't as smart as men. That, and because their brains is smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    That's why women ain't as smart as men. That, and because their brains is smaller.
    Intelligence that they build up is usually drained about once a month...

Intelligence that they build up is usually drained about once a month...
    intelligence and sense of direction

I like pop tarts!
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    Theodore Roosevelt

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    From a biochemical and nutritional stand point, you need protein. You need fats; animal fats. And you need cholesterol. Your brain cannot function without it. The system that is our body was designed to run on meat and fat and some carbs. Take away the grocery stores and the readily available access to non seasonal fruits and vegetables. If you broke your diet down to only eating what was seasonally available you would basically starve to death in the winter and early spring by following a vegan diet. Shit just ain't natural. In order to survive you will have to have a diet that consist of mostly protein and fats from animals. I'm certainly not suggesting you toss out your refrigerator and go all completely native. But our species survived and thrived on a seasonal diet of plants and a year round diet of meat and animal based fats.

This is an interesting discussion and some interesting points have been made. I'll use Glennda's post as my late segway into this discussion. I agree with the premise but I think the modern reality is a bit interesting. Our ancestors likely used the entire animal and therefore, likely had a more balanced diet nutritionally than the modern "paleo hipster" with their "clean" grass fed beef loins. The modern vegan on the other hand is likely eating beans and such that are much more complete proteins due to the number and variety of amino acids they contain. When you look at what biochemical processes happen in the brain, a bean is probably better for you than a deer loin. Our ancestors likely savored heart, bone marrow, liver etc over and above the tender loins. When a predator takes down a prey animal, they usually go for the guts first, yes? Here we are presenting ourselves as the enlightened hunter gatherers of the modern era and many have already said they are too squeamish to walk by the meat case at a small town IGA. I think we've got some work to do if the emperor is to keep his paleo clothes on.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

you confused me a little but I hate to admit it.

I think you are saying something to the effect of: "we just cant compare diets of today to those of the paleolithic era" but then you went off and compared humans to wolves or something and lost me again.

The great "diet" debate really isnt very debatable. Vegans win. The rest of us that praise meat are just gonna have to find ways to survive.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If we killed and ate the vegans would that make us healthier?
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    Theodore Roosevelt

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SCWoody View Post
    If we killed and ate the vegans would that make us healthier?
    Depends if they are grass fed
    I know a few...
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

I'm saying that the argument for being "paleo" vs "vegan" would have merit if people were actually paleo. In other words, eat hearts, livers, tongues, nuts, bone marrow etc and then you might actually be getting a better nutrient mix than a modern vegan.

...and I was laughing at the fact that the modern hunter is too big a puss to eat most of what he kills.

Does that help? Want me to send the short bus to pick you up so we can discuss?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I watched a lion eat the ass out of an elephant last night on nat geo.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 10-13-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripa Swipa View Post
    I'm saying that the argument for being "paleo" vs "vegan" would have merit if people were actually paleo. In other words, eat hearts, livers, tongues, nuts, bone marrow etc and then you might actually be getting a better nutrient mix than a modern vegan.

...and I was laughing at the fact that the modern hunter is too big a puss to eat most of what he kills.

Does that help? Want me to send the short bus to pick you up so we can discuss?
    I might still need some help...

I guess it helps that I eat liver pudding and there is plenty of snout and spleen in there!

Plant based diets show a much lower incident of cancer and a much higher life expectancy. I'm pretty sure that is what we are all after.

The paleo diet scares me only because of the average human's idea of what they should actually eat when they "think" they are on the diet. I agree that no one comes close.

I think the move towards "paleo" is good but I liken it to having a good defense. You are getting off of the processed stuff that's the direct cause of some serious health problems. However, you need certain chemicals in your system for your body to perform it's functions. That requires an offensive strategy and its a bit more complex than thinking bacon is all one needs to be healthy.

I don't have the time right now but we can take a deep dive into epigenetics and an offensive diet strategy later.

Rubberhead

I'm game.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I'm game.
    x2

Bring on the knowledge!

Don't leave me hanging either, be there or be square.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

In the interest of full disclosure, Stripa Swipa doesn't kill enough stuff to have a valid opinion on wise use of resources from a modern perspective, much less a paleo one.