Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood duck boxes

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am jealous, matheny

i got mine working. had to bypass a silly filter in my office but new sod is well watered!
    If the filter looks rusty from iron build-up, Muriatic acid will clean it instantly.

roger--thanks T
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    If the filter looks rusty from iron build-up, Muriatic acid will clean it instantly.
    best to start with putting the muriatic acid into a plastic soda bottle, add a piece of aluminum foil. Put the cap on and shake it

good luck
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by welltaut View Post
    Anyone figure out a way to keep the wasps from making pie plate size nests in these boxes? Always makes cleaning them out interesting, thank goodness they weren’t moving fast this am.
    I wouldn’t worry about this.

wood ducks eat bugs, and have coexisted with wasps in cavities for as long as both species have been on this planet.
    Mama duck will do just fine.

Also, stop worrying about adding wood chips every year. They don’t need us for that either.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

My wife heard a loud ruckus in our fireplace early one morning, Monday I think last week. It stopped pretty quick. I walked into the house by myself this past Sunday after church, a couple hours earlier we didn't notice anything.. but at noon it was awful. I worked the smell back, worked myself up into the chimney, and raised the damper. It took me a little bit, but on the backside of it I grabbed a familiar object. A summerduck hen, it kinda hurt my feelings.

Default Duck box squirrels

Anyone interested in a pet squirrel? I have a duck box with a few. Eyes aren't open yet but it won't be long.

I had an old Cajun friend who had one for 12 years. Said it was the best pet he ever owned.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/pvl7E30OyVI
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I wouldn’t worry about this.

wood ducks eat bugs, and have coexisted with wasps in cavities for as long as both species have been on this planet.
    Mama duck will do just fine.

Also, stop worrying about adding wood chips every year. They don’t need us for that either.
    I don't disagree. I have seen plenty of broods hatched on the bare wood bottom of the box. Natural cavities don't have pretty cedar chips in them.

Having some bedding does help cleaning out the nasty old eggs and shells. I use a couple handfuls of cypress needles, pine straw, leaves, or whatever else is close.

Make sure you keep the brush cut way back away from the box. This one had four eggs in him.

snake in duck box.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Anyone interested in a pet squirrel? I have a duck box with a few. Eyes aren't open yet but it won't be long.

I had an old Cajun friend who had one for 12 years. Said it was the best pet he ever owned.

Resisting the temptation. Had one when I was a kid that my dad brought home. It was a cool pet that rode in my breast pocket everywhere with his head poked out.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Your little girl would love one bro!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

She's got two rabbits, three snakes, one guinea pig, one cat, two dogs, and a 55 gallon fish tank...

She'd love it until the new wore off.

How many you got? I might could get talked into a female. Just thump the males in the heads and get it over with.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I'll dig around in the box and give them a look in the morning.

If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

That is proof positive right there!

Had a guy tell me to put a regular house shingle on top of the wood duck box and the boxes will last twice as long and it’s not any issue with the ducks using them. Anyone ever heard of that, I’ve never seen a box with a shingle on it, but do see a lot of old boxes falling apart on public waters. What do you think?

I don’t think adding a shingle would hurt a thing. Slap
    one on after they are finished nesting and you will be good to go.

After all, they don’t mind going down a chimney..

Awesome pics!

Caught this pair on one of my old rehabbed boxes two days ago here on Lake Murray. Adding 4 more new boxes on the lake Sunday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post

I had one. Very cool pet.

Brought a baby girl inside for the granddaughter to pet. This one was really chill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Picked up a small one that was paralyzed in the middle of a road on base. Put the car in park and attempted to encourage the little guy to scoot out ofthe road, to no avail. Just decided to pick him up and surprisingly he was super chill. Asked the wife if she wanted to try her hand at having a pet squirrel, she declined so I dropped him and his fleas off at the nearest oak tree away from the roads.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by willyworm; 04-13-2023 at 09:28 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft