Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Video-SCDNR Cat 1 WMA MISMANAGEMENT

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    DNR asking private land owners to open their places up for draw hunts should tell you a lot.

You sure it's not the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    DNR asking private land owners to open their places up for draw hunts should tell you a lot.
    Meh, that isn’t exactly accurate.

A lot of private properties received funding to build their waterfowl impoundments.
    One of the conditions of this money is that public hunting would be allowed.

For years that was gotten around by offering up their impoundments for youth day hunts.
    Programs like Pintail Partners and Take One Make One.

I don’t know this to be true, but I can speculate that youth only admission didn’t sit well with some.

Now, we have SCWP.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Just the other day someone on here was bitching about not being able to shoot ducks on the refuge. On. The. Refuge. People are, well, people...
    All NWRs across the country that I’m aware of offer multiple sections open to waterfowl hunting, except Santee National.
    It’s not outlandish to question why that is.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    All NWRs across the country that I’m aware of offer multiple sections open to waterfowl hunting, except Santee National.
    It’s not outlandish to question why that is.
    Savannah NWR does not allow waterfowl hunting.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Haven’t ever been around there.

I think we should be focused more on eliminating hunting from any NWR’s!

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    I think we should be focused more on eliminating hunting from any NWR’s!
    If pressure is limited it can be managed well and you can kill ducks. The one I hunt they do a decent job but need to cut back on the pressure some imo.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Lord help.

They are REFUGES

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility View Post
    Lord help.

They are REFUGES
    What’s more astonishing:

Tax payers in SC wanting some limited access to properties they fund.

Or:

Humans thinking so strongly that God created wild animals so fragile that they need man to block off areas for them, feed them genetically modified row crops, so they’ll be safe for the winter.
    Despite the fact these animals navigate survival, breeding, feeding, and migration without the aid of man and have done so since God created them.

In our in pompous thinking, we have forced them to be creatures they aren’t, by concentrating them in these “refuges” altering their natural behaviors, feeding them and making them lazy.

This is the part where you tell me without refuges and private bait fields they would cease to exist….

You’re right. Dogs should be allowed to roam free with their owners on the beach at Cape Romain NWR, since these nesting shorebirds are wild animals, and it’s a tough world.
    Back when you shit yella, there was no afternoon duck hunting anywhere in Georgetown County, nor hunting on Sundays. You know what, nobody had a problem with it. Back then, people understood the relationship between ducks and pressure.

I think trying to duck hunt in SC drives people literally crazy.

You’re right. Dogs should be allowed to roam free with their owners on the beach at Cape Romain NWR, since these nesting shorebirds are wild animals, and it’s a tough world.
    Back when you shit yella, there was no afternoon duck hunting anywhere in Georgetown County, nor hunting on Sundays. You know what, nobody had a problem with it. Back then, people understood the relationship between ducks and pressure.
    Nesting shorebirds and dogs? Not sure how we got there?
    I certainly wouldn’t turn the public loose on shorebird habitat during nesting season. That would be stupid.
    Why is it stupid to allow once a week public duck hunting in Bulls Bay?
    Are ducks so fragile? Who told us that hunting bulls bay on Saturdays would be catastrophic to wintering waterfowl?
    Is it the same folks that told us they’d leave lake Marion?
    Lake Marion has more ducks in 5 square miles than the Delta in its entirety, and 5 times the pressure.
    Why don’t our ducks leave?

They’ve sure gotten smart. But they’re still here.

Greed.

Greed.

Hundreds of thousands of acres were stolen from the residents of SC and it’s greed to want to waterfowl hunt them once a week, when fishing, boating, crabbing, marsh hen hunting (with lead shot) is available.

Got it.

Haven’t ever been around there.
    I understand the point you were trying to make. Why make the rather definitive statement that all do other than Santee rather than saying most? I have no idea how many don’t, but hard to believe the only two that don’t are so close relatively speaking.

What acreage was stolen?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    I understand the point you were trying to make. Why make the rather definitive statement that all do other than Santee rather than saying most? I have no idea how many don’t, but hard to believe the only two that don’t are so close relatively speaking.
    Most would’ve been better.
    I hunt refuges all over the country. Santee (and I guess Savannah) are the only 2 I know of that don’t allow waterfowl hunting on at least a few sections.

What acreage was stolen?
    Every single square foot in the continental US “owned” by the federal government.

The .gov has no grounds to own land.

I stepped 50ft into a refuge in Kansas and had the best hunt I’ve ever had. No idea I was even in a refuge, since it wasn’t marked. Local gendarmes had issue and said ignorance of the law was no excuse. Pretty sure refuge means refuge anywhere.

Every single square foot in the continental US “owned” by the federal government.

The .gov has no grounds to own land.
    Article 4 Section 3 seems to imply it can.

Section. 3.

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.