Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Choke/Load Preference Question....

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Ghost View Post
    Aim for the reflection next time.
    LOL, with it barely cracking light, I didn't notice a reflection.......I think next time I would be better off closing my eyes and just shoot the mojo......then I would probably actually hit the duck.

If the only time you shoot is during hunting season, it won't matter what load you have. You're better off shooting with your eyes closed all the time. Probably have a better hit to miss ratio that way.

Use the force.
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-23-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    If the only time you shoot is during hunting season, it won't matter what load you have. You're better off shooting with your eyes closed all the time. Probably have a better hit to miss ratio that way.

Use the force.
    Nope, this is why I'm taking my set up out tomorrow just to target at 25, 40 and 60 yards just to see where the pattern is laying.....then I'll know more. (I doubt 60 will be necessary, but just want to see what it looks like)
    Last edited by QuackMagic; 11-23-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Knowing your pattern is great. However, knowing how to put that pattern on a moving target with any shred of consistency is something different.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Why guys don't work on their shooting skills during the off season is baffling to me. There are sporting clays courses all over the state with instructors on staff. Get a lesson and work on some targets. Get another lesson and work on it so more.

And quit trying to blame your poor shooting skills on chokes and shells.
    Last edited by Gander; 11-23-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Preach it brother.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

One of my favorite parts of being in the military. Free access to clay courses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

But to answer your question Magicman, my preferred load is HeviShot #6's and change chokes to the expected range of my target. I use a timber, imp. cyl and modified. Just depends on the scenario.
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-23-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3.5" BBs is what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    Why guys don't work on their shooting skills during the off season is baffling to me. There are sporting clays courses all over the state with instructors on staff. Get a lesson and work on some targets. Get another lesson and work on it so more.

+1. The best choke/shell combination you can get is something called practice. All the fancy choke tubes and expensive shells are bought in vain if you do not practice. Keep whatever shells and whatever choke you got. Go to academy, skeet is on sale now for $4.99/90 clays, buy a case of the cheapest #8s you can, and a plastic hand thrower. Take a buddy with you and yall take turns practicing. Then you'll have the right shells and choke next time. Good luck next time!
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Xfull KICKS
    After many loads kent 1 1/4 #4

But I shot rem hypersonic #4 last year and was impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

Sunday morning was my first morning out this season and I was shooting Rio #4 with a skeet choke in my 870 Express super magnum. I killed them efficiently and was very surprised. But unfortunately I don't know if it is the load/choke set up or the fact that for the first time I started shooting skeet/five stand on a regular basis.

I think the 2000 rounds I shot since april helped more than anything.

Guaranteed it wasn't your choice of shell and choke.
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-24-2014 at 12:25 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Can't disagree. you guys are right....need to practice more.

Or you could just buy a wahd skripper choke.

Practicing the same old bad habits will make you better but to truly step up your game, get a lesson. Trust me when I say it's the best bang for your buck, literally.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Guaranteed it wasn't your choice of shell and choke.
    agreed. The fact that I technically used the cheapest shells I could find and a choke that is too open and still killed ducks should point that its the indian not the arrow

i stopped reading when someone said to shoot a 3.5" shell.

please dont do that.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Everyone on here is correct. I've been duck hunting for almost 20 years and I shot more this summer than ever before at 5 stand and other skeet courses. Best thing i did was actually have a lesson with an Orvis pro. (was free on a company trip...) Limited out on Saturday with minimal shots needed and have been shooting better than ever.
    FYI I shoot improved cyl. with the cheepest #3 3" shells i can find

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post

I never saw where he blamed his skills on a choke or shells?? Maybe you can show me?