Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Any Contractor

Default Question for Any Contractor

We currently have an electric range in our kitchen but really want gas. We already have gas coming into the home for heat and hot water. If the range is on the same exterior wall as the gas hookup, how hard would it be to convert to a gas range? Range cost aside, what kind of ballpark figure are we talking to complete the switch?
    For the ducks

Crawl space?

Slab
    For the ducks

I just have to tell you to get a range doesn’t have round burners. I think there is only one brand with the star shape burners and the brand escapes me at the moment.

What type of exterior finish?

You will also need to a 110v for the range
    Last edited by FishSticker; 10-13-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Hardie board siding
    For the ducks

Pop the siding off, pull the sheathing, bore holes and pull line to T or manifold. Call gas company and have them make the final connections. They may even pull the line for you. Reinstall sheathing, wrap and siding. Repaint affected areas.

Or you can run it along the slab and wall line then stub it through the wall but to me that looks half assed.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 10-13-2018 at 10:43 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Pop the siding off, pull the sheathing, bore holes and pull line to T or manifold. Call gas company and have them make the final connections. They may even pull the line for you. Reinstall sheathing, wrap and siding. Repaint affected areas.

Or you can run it along the slab and wall line then stub it through the wall but to me that looks half assed.
    This right here.

Is there attic above the kitchen?

What Salty said. Depending on shrubs growing around the house, you may not be able to see it stubbed in if you went that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post

Do you have to use striker plates on the studs if you bores holes and run it in the wall?

Yes and if you take enough out of a stud you have to put a structural metal plate on the side
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Yes and if you take enough out of a stud you have to put a structural metal plate on the side
    The striker plates I speak of is to keep someone from driving a nail into the gas line
    Last edited by Red Huck; 10-14-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Yes, nail guards are recommended.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Cheapest and easy way is Saltydogs
    Or you can run it along the slab and wall line then stub it through the wall but to me that looks half assed. That's how I been doing it close to 20 yrs on the slab houses. Find a range that fits the space, hole thur the wall, tubing along the slab and so on, no problem

Quote Originally Posted by Red Huck View Post
    The striker plates I speak of is to keep someone from driving a nail into the gas line
    I know what you are referring to I just answered more than what you asked for. Bore through enough studs and top plates and you will run into the SMPs that I was talking sbout
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I understand Duck cutter, you have to bore rather large hoses in the studs for 1/2" csst.

Fuck a house on a slab.

But... I would bury the line and come into the cabinet next to it with a shut off there (code), get a dual fuel stove and you won’t have to change the power coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Fuck a house on a slab.
    Yep, I just don't understand why
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"