Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Teachers' Strikes?

My wife is a teacher. Teaches special needs/autism. While she has the ability to go try to find another job half of you yo yos wouldn’t be able to put up with what she has to on a daily basis. She’s get bitten, slapped, pinched, punched, and everything else you can imagine. Changes crappy underwear, pissed up underwear on kids that are 9-10 years old. Y’all can puff your chest and shout go find another job then if it makes y’all feel better, but y’all have no clue. My wife spends our personal money to keep her classroom functioning throughout the year with no reimbursement. She gets no help from the office. Send a student up there, they send them right back. Y’all haven’t a clue, but carry on.
    Last edited by jevans; 04-15-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    My wife is a teacher. Teaches special needs/autism. While she has the ability to go try to find another job half of you yo yos wouldn’t be able to put up with what she has to on a daily basis. She’s get bitten, slapped, pinched, punched, and everything else you can imagine. Changes crappy underwear, pissed up underwear on kids that are 9-10 years old. Y’all can puff your chest and shout go find another job then if it makes y’all feel better, but y’all have no clue. My wife spends our personal money to keep her classroom functioning throughout the year with no reimbursement. She gets no help from the office. Send a student up there, they send them right back. Y’all haven’t a clue, but carry on.
    Is she happy with her job?

I don't anyone's questioning how hard the job is, or how dedicated the people doing the job are; the issue is a government employee being able to skip work at will to demand more pay. All of this, of course, "for the kids".

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    Is she happy with her job?
    If this cat is that triggered I'd say the money line on "NO" is roughly -200 or so. It sounds like he's been on he losing end of that bottom of the box of wine conversation more than once.

Did she not know those things before she got a degree? Nobody held a gun to her head and made her become a special needs teacher. My dad was a damn good football coach, back when coaches worked in the summer and they actually taught class. He left what he loved to do, so he could provide for his family.

My mom is a teacher as well, I've heard her rant more than once about this, that, and the other. It always comes around to me asking that if she is so dissatisfied with the job, why cant she go find another?

We work in a free labor state, anyone has the option to not renew an employment contract when the time comes, and seek employment elsewhere. You are a voluntary employee, not an indentured servant.

I'll be the first to tell you that we pay our teachers peanuts. They interact with our most valuable resource (children) almost as much as we do. They should be highly trained, highly paid, critically thinking professionals. Yet somehow they aren't and that's the fault of the registered voter.

We can’t get the teachers to stop screwing the students, and they talking about getting payed more.
    Last edited by joshua2; 04-15-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    If this cat is that triggered I'd say the money line on "NO" is roughly -200 or so. It sounds like he's been on he losing end of that bottom of the box of wine conversation more than once.
    Yep.

My mom has been teaching for 32 years. She genuinely loves to teach, and it is what she was born to do. She "retired" a few years ago and went to a private christian school to teach part-time. Things were just too different from when she started, so she went and found a place she liked to be at more. I don't think she's compensated fairly, but here's the deal: she doesn't do it for the money. She does it because she loves it and feels like it's her calling. She won't ever stop. If she's not in her classroom, she's at the church volunteering in the nursery, or teaching summer school or tutoring kids for free- all you gotta do is ask her. She got breast cancer about 10 years ago, and only missed a week or two total throughout all of her radiation and chemo. She said if she sat around not doing anything, she felt worse. She also didn't trust a substitute to teach her classes. I'm not sure she ever spent more than $1000 total over all those years to keep her classroom running. A few posters on the wall and some spare supplies for those who didn't have what they needed for the day maybe. She was good to go as long as she had a chalkboard, desks and books. She was tough, but a great educator. I had her, and she treated me just like everyone else- which was demanding but always encouraging. It was not fun to have a mom who taught at the school you went to. Inevitably, she would piss someone off and I would have to hear about it. It's tough listening to some shit-head rag on Momma.

No one held a gun to her head and told her she had to teach. Even though she won't sit still long enough to enjoy them, she loves her summer/spring/fall breaks and all the random days off educators get during the school year. She mentors new teachers, and has lifelong friends from older ones she started with. She coached cheerleading and kept the books at basketball games. If she was unhappy, she would do something else. No one forced her to sign a contract each year. I know it's a frustrating profession, and I can't tell you how many nights she stayed up late grading papers, working on lesson plans or putting together tests. She didn't complain much, but she had her gripes with frustrating students or administrators. But it was part of the deal, and she dealt with it and rolled on.

All of this to say that if someone leaves teaching after a few years, it's not a bad thing. If you know you don't love it or it's not a good fit, go find something else you will be more happy doing. If pay is an issue, there are ways to make more money while you teach or you can look at the job market to see if someone is willing to pay you more doing something different. Administrators(district level) make too much- that shit's getting out of hand.

I think teaching is noble, and I wish the best of us would take on the challenge to teach up kids today. Unfortunately, unless you love it, there's no incentive to stick around for 30+ years. Not much professional advancement, pay sucks, increasing responsibility... the list goes on. You have to be special and really love it to stick it out. Thank God there are still good people who are willing to take on the challenge.

And this post is not directed at anyone who posted in this thread. I'm just offering a perspective from someone who grew up with a mom as a teacher. I'm glad my wife never wanted to teach.

First thing- there is plenty of money available to meet ALL of the educational needs without raising taxes or the teachers spending their own money- ALL NEEDS- not wants. If you are old enough to remember schools from the 60's or before- they were exactly what was needed- a well built basic building with no frills.
    My schools didn't even have A/C- in Richland county. We all survived and were capable of getting a great public school education without spiral staircases, pools, marble floors and without the classes being disrupted by students that should have been in reform school instead.

And the outrageous expenditures on athletic fields is another ridiculous thing.

Somewhere along the line the government decided a basic building wasn't good enough, they had to be high class and made out of high end materials. Even the small towns are all in with government over spending. Hollywood SC has 1 traffic light and is building a new government complex that probably cost a million dollars.

If the government would quit wasting money- there would be plenty to buy supplies, hire the best teachers and pay them properly.

Agreed with all of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And jevans, it takes a really great person to accept the responsibility of teaching special needs students. Your wife deserves all the kudos and support in the world. I damn sure couldn't do it. If there's something she is not getting, but needs, I hope she is continuously reaching out to her administration/legislators/non-profits for any sort of help she can get.

When is the last time a teacher you know made a test? I am talking about teaching from a book and typing out a genuine test. Not the standardized bullshit. Not a program that lets the teacher pick the pre-loaded questions, but they have to come up with the question.

My mom taught for 30 years, and she has finally seen the fact that public school is a joke.

The game in public education is the "master teacher" route and then into administration. Playing the system.

Mom could never get over the iPads the schools handed out. She said the kids would just play games and message with them during class. She made students put them up during class and they weren't allowed to bring them out until they walked out. Commonality of phones being out all class long as well was another of her pet peeves. It got to be where she couldn't get the support to make kids put the away in class anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    We can’t get the teachers to stop screwing the students, and they talking about getting payed more.
    Mabee if they was payed more we could hire sum gud wons.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    When is the last time a teacher you know made a test? I am talking about teaching from a book and typing out a genuine test. Not the standardized bullshit. Not a program that lets the teacher pick the pre-loaded questions, but they have to come up with the question.

My mom taught for 30 years, and she has finally seen the fact that public school is a joke.

The game in public education is the "master teacher" route and then into administration. Playing the system.
    Teachers don't have time for that. They're to busy teaching for standardized test.

I wish states would do the same thing that Regan did to the air traffic controllers. Fire every teacher that does not show up. End the school year and void their contracts. Continue to pay the teachers that show up to fulfill their obligation to the taxpayers. They have all summer to protest.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I knew some dork would ask or say I was triggered. Today you’re that dork. Congrats

This made me chuckle.
    Quote Originally Posted by BowfinClassic View Post
    Mabee if they was payed more we could hire sum gud wons.

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    I knew some dork would ask or say I was triggered. Today you’re that dork. Congrats
    Did my use of the word triggered, trigger you once again??

Your reply reaked of whining Democrat...

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for teachers, firemen, police, military, et al.....but every single one of them made that decision of their own free will, knowing good and well what the pay was for their respective positions and what the short comings of the job are/were. If they all dislike their job positions they are free to find something else to do... police, firemen, and teachers leave the job every day to start new ventures. Some folks just need to have "prayer meeting", as my grandaddy used to call it, one night and sit down some of these folks and say the time has come to make a decision to either accept the job for what it was or step out of the comfort zone and find something else to do but the time for all the fussing and complaining has come to an end.

The solution to these problems likes at the end of the voting ballot....quit building Taj Mahal schools and buying the run down, useless pieces of property that someone(school board or town/county council member usually) in town owns at ridiculously inflated prices....but until then the jobs are what the jobs are...they are welcome to come out to the real world and see just how good they may have it.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 04-15-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    First thing- there is plenty of money available to meet ALL of the educational needs without raising taxes or the teachers spending their own money- ALL NEEDS- not wants. If you are old enough to remember schools from the 60's or before- they were exactly what was needed- a well built basic building with no frills.
    My schools didn't even have A/C- in Richland county. We all survived and were capable of getting a great public school education without spiral staircases, pools, marble floors and without the classes being disrupted by students that should have been in reform school instead.

And the outrageous expenditures on athletic fields is another ridiculous thing.

Somewhere along the line the government decided a basic building wasn't good enough, they had to be high class and made out of high end materials. Even the small towns are all in with government over spending. Hollywood SC has 1 traffic light and is building a new government complex that probably cost a million dollars.

If the government would quit wasting money- there would be plenty to buy supplies, hire the best teachers and pay them properly.

The voice of reason.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.