Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Regulating Dog Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Worse. Feel free to call me if you want to know my issues but its not the large hunting clubs with land and rules that give me a fit.
    Outlaws going to outlaw. We had one that ran 2 - 3 hounds out of a white van with no windows on the sides or back. He would get permission to hunt from someone that owned 1 acre that joined up to the property we hunted. He would pull behind their house, open the back, listen to which direction the dogs were running, get in front of them, and shoot. His dogs stopped where the deer died. He'd load the deer up, and the dogs would load up also. Slam the doors, and off again. He could shoot, load the deer and dogs, and be rolling down the road in about 3 minutes.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Its the guys that turn loose on 5 acres over here and then cut them off at the next small piece of land they have access to that cause all the problems. I am a member of a dog club and have dog hunted my whole life but that kind of stuff pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Its the guys that turn loose on 5 acres over here and then cut them off at the next small piece of land they have access to that cause all the problems. I am a member of a dog club and have dog hunted my whole life but that kind of stuff pisses me off.
    Or the guys that lease 200 acres but only have a handful of standers on any particular drive. No way they're cutting the dogs off. And they also don't kill much b/c they can't cut the deer off, either. But at least they get to hear the dogs run....and run....and run....and run

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I'm afraid that sort of activity is going to lead to it becoming illegal. Especially if the dog hunting community is not willing to hunt ethically or listen to proposed changes to eliminate nuisance activity from the "other clubs".

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    I'd be willing to bet if you hunt near Davis Station you've had an encounter with the same group of folks that run wild over here on the South side of the lake.
    Same group that shows up around St Paul?

Two good beagles can trail, jump, and run any deer to the gun.

But why turn loose two beagles when 8-12 walkers looks and sounds cooler. Multiply that by 25 members and you have a problem no matter how big the acreage is.

My Whistle 3 has safety zone parameters which are easily set. When my dog leaves the safety zone, I get an immediate email or text.

A GPS/shocking collar combo should be mandatory.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 11-29-2018 at 04:37 PM.

What frustrates me the most.... our club leases 7000 acres of Santee swamp across from PBiz...will have 1 jackwagon buy 100 acres that borders us and cuss me out for turning our dogs loose on his property to run his deer
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

Quote Originally Posted by HEAD View Post
    What frustrates me the most.... our club leases 7000 acres of Santee swamp across from PBiz...will have 1 jackwagon buy 100 acres that borders us and cuss me out for turning our dogs loose on his property to run his deer
    And there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    And there you have it.
    Let me be clear....we do not turn loose on his property....we do not even have a road to access his property line...in his mind we turn loose on his property

Let me be clear....we do not turn loose on his property....we do not even have a road to access his property line...in his mind we turn loose on his property
    And your dogs never run on his property? In that case, he's crazy, an asshole or both.

3 strikes and your deer dogging permit is terminated in Jawja. If adjoining club catches your dog and is a bitch about it and call DNR . The DNR will bring dog back with a slap on the wrist after 3 game over

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Need to ban still hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Need to ban still hunting.
    No....either you should be able to bait every game animal or none at all

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    And your dogs never run on his property? In that case, he's crazy, an asshole or both.

I’m sure they do....but it’s the same situation when Yankees move down here in the middle of the woods and call police and fire trucks when they smell smoke....they don’t agree with it so therefore it should be illegal

I’m sure they do....but it’s the same situation when Yankees move down here in the middle of the woods and call police and fire trucks when they smell smoke....they don’t agree with it so therefore it should be illegal
    Hmmm. So maybe acreage requirements aren't enough if 7000 acres won't cut it. Thanks for this data point.

The jack legs that run dogs up and down the half way swamp don’t control their dogs for crap. In fact I’ve seen them turn loose on hwy 6 let the dogs run through and flush our property down to the other side of the swamp. It’ll piss you off for sure
    Last edited by reeltight; 11-29-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Go F yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    As a hunter how would you regulate dog hunting in order to preserve the sport and prevent a potential total ban in the future?

My thoughts that I think a good dog club could get behind:

All dog hunting clubs would have to be licensed with a list of members names, dogs, and landowner's.
    Any club with 3 reported violations would be fined $1500 and a letter from SCDNR would be mailed to the landowner and club members explaining nuisance activity. If nuisance activity continues after fine all club members would lose dog hunting rights for 1 year on that property.

Nuisance activity would be hunting from public roads, releasing dogs on public roads, loaded guns in trucks, dogs running on others property, etc.

Reports and evidence would be reported through SCDNR tip website/tip line.

All dog hunting (hog/raccoon), and still hunting violators would be included and subject to violations being reported.

I would think something of this nature would cause a good bit of self regulation such as respecting neighboring properties, using short legged dogs, not dropping dogs off on the highways and hunting highways etc.

Unsure if this annual thread has been summoned this year or not?
    And the horse you rode in on

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Gobbler View Post
    And the horse you rode in on
    You obviously have a lot of passion for this topic. What are your thoughts on how best to preserve the tradition of dog hunting?

strictly enforce trespassing laws and place big penalties for any violator

Currently their is nothing a landowner can do about it, and that sucks!