Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas/ Year End Bonus?

We give all staff a modest bonus at the end of the year. If we have a banner year, it's far more than modest. We try to revisit comp packages every 2-3 years for employees. For attorneys, you have to earn a bonus. If you want a bonus, work hard and put the dollars in the till and I promise I will take care of you.
    Carolina Counsel

I have gotten one every year....23 in a row and counting. I consider it a tip. I dont expect it, and I damn sure dont question the amount. I appreciate it, and I dont use it for essentials. I save half and the other half is used for Christmas, Clemson Tix, vacation and the like. Not ALL of those, it aint THAT big, but those are some examples of what it goes towards. in smaller years, we have smaller Christmas, smaller vacations etc.

I had one of my direct reports question the amount in the past. After our "discussion" they dont question any more.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I’ve always been treated very good as an employee around this time of year with my current job.

I do not expect nor feel like I am entitled to it but am very thankful for it and I make it a point to seek out the owner and his wife at the company Christmas party and let them know how much I appreciate it and enjoy being part of the company in general.

Suck up.

I have 4 PT employees and 1 FT

I give them all a "little something" before Christmas, they do not expect it but do appreciate it and tell me so.

Wish I could really do more but I do slip them some extra money during the year

Lucky to have the employees I do

The company I work for has quarterly bonuses based on company net profit. We are given the week off after Christmas.

My company gives me a respectable percentage bonus at the beginning of the year based on goals and objectives. As long as they keep giving me that, I don't care about Christmas Bonus.

I mean hell, I've been with them for 4 years and get 6 weeks mandatory vacation so that's to much of a bonus there.
    Last edited by dhall1693; 12-10-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

I've gotten one at various companies i've worked for. When i worked for a publicly traded company they gave us a $25 Walmart gift card & that was it. They did give 401k matches, but no hard $$. A bonus is nice, but i don't expect it.

You mean like the Jelly of the Month Club? You know Clark, that's the gift that keeps giving all year long!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Or like this...

Talk about a Christmas miracle.

A real estate company headquartered in Maryland dropped a big gift for all 198 of its employees: a shared $10 million bonus.

In a statement released Monday, St. John Properties said the average employee will receive $50,000. The company said the bonus will vary based solely on years of service.

The company said the bonus was given to celebrate reaching the goal of developing 20 million square feet of office, retail and other commercial real estate space in eight states.

“To celebrate the achievement of our goal, we wanted to reward our employees in a big way that would make a significant impact on their lives,” Edward St. John, the company's founder and chairman, said in a statement.

St. John made the announcement Dec. 7 during the company's annual holiday party. A video of the announcement shows employees holding red envelopes, opening them up to learn their share of the $10 million bonus. Some employees cried in response to the bonus they received.

"It is life-changing," one unidentified employee says in the video.

The company said the bonus is on top of the company's annual year-end bonus.

Follow Brett Molina on Twitter: @brettmolina23.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

I dont expect one. Its nice to get one for sure. Ive gotten one 4 out of the 6 years ive been with the company I am now.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

how else am i supposed to buy an in-ground pool?
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Meanwhile we have people bitching because “our” company taxes there end of the year bonus.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1693 View Post
    6 weeks mandatory vacation
    damn.

Expect one - no

But if it is a company that chest thumps over the amazing end of the year profit sharing and the bosses spend a bunch of money on petty useless crap and don’t get the profit share aka “bonus” then I have a problem. It all depends on the environment in which you were hired. If you lead employees to believe that extra effort will make their pockets a little heavier at the end of the year then the company dang sure better take care of their employees. If a mediocre employee just expects the world to be given to them then show them the door.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    We give all staff a modest bonus at the end of the year. If we have a banner year, it's far more than modest. We try to revisit comp packages every 2-3 years for employees. For attorneys, you have to earn a bonus. If you want a bonus, work hard and put the dollars in the till and I promise I will take care of you.
    Word.

I worked at a place where bonuses were figured by totaling the salaries then dividing your salary by that total and you got that percentage of the allotted bonus money. I knew the work I did made the company more money than anyone else in the surveying department. I also knew that we tracked jobs by employees so I balked and asked why it wasn’t performance based. Asked several times in fact. No can do and they kept doing what they had been doing.

One day it all came to a head when I was being falsely accused of spending $10.48 of company money for personal use. Yes, ten dollars and forty eight cents..... That’s it, time to unleash. So while leaning over my bosses shoulder I ran some earnings reports in Deltek and low and behold the mother fucker had netted over $400K on jobs I was responsible for in the last 6 months. One survey crew had lost $29K and another was in the red. The other three had netted $10-$25K. The kicker though was the engineering dept. the ENTIRE engineering dept., 4 licensed PE’s and a few EIT’s had netted a mere $210K. Well now, this lead us right back to my performance based bonuses because those jackasses averaged about 3 times my salary.

We never received another bonus

Be careful what you ask for.

I write the checks and have for 25 years- some years I give great bonuses, some none- it depends on the company's success and what happened during the year. But I always take everybody and their spouse/girlfriend to dinner at a reasonable restaurant for a late lunch and a couple drinks- we go home from there.

This year everyone has received raises, lots of new equipment purchased that makes their work day easier and no bonus for Christmas, but we will be eating seafood and having drinks together.

Personally, I have only received 1 Christmas bonus my entire life- a Rapala filet knife from Wal Mart.

The last 10 or so years I've been in a position where I would receive a bonus if I met certain goals. The hourly guys that worked for me weren't eligible for a bonus, so they got nothing. The first year I hit my goals I kept half the bonus and split the rest with the fellas and I've done it ever since. I also buy everyone a decent, non-bullshit present out of my own pocket. I've given Carhartt coats, Leathermans, Streamlights, Worksharps, those Scandinavian knives and I just bought 10 Craftsman mechanic sets for this year. I have very, very low turnover in the locations I manage and I feel like a big reason is how I treat my guys.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

I don’t expect a Christmas bonus and don’t really care if I get one. My position pays bonuses on performance and as of today I have managed 3.8 mil worth of work at a 51.3 % margin. Not to bad for what they spend on me.

Mobetter- sounds like you get it. You got an extra spot?
    Carolina Counsel