Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who wears snake protection?

I've got a pair of Cabela's Trekker snake boots that I've had about 5yrs now. They've held up decent and are comfortable all day long.
    Turkey season is the only time I really wear them
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I wear an old pair of lace up rocky snake boots once in a while but it's mostly for comfort or nostalgia. I mostly wear knee high mucks anywhere there might be water and regular high top hunting boots for dry hunts. Have killed a rattler on one mountain hunt but the closest I've come to being bitten was a copperhead in the leaves as I reached to pick up a box call beside me.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Why would you ever have NOT worn your seatbelt?
    Because I was young and dumb. Now if I don’t have it on it’s just because it’s not a habit but I’m working on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    threads like this make me giggle.
    I dont wear snake boots. I guess I live on the edge?

The comparison to seat belts or the point about having kids is just silly.
    The comparison to a seat belt was to point out a simple change to lower risk of injury. The point about having kids was a realization that I am responsible for 3 lives and not just my own. To each their own though.
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    I wear knee highs that aren't snake proof. I have snake chaps that I wear if I think I'm going to encounter a snake.

I only go in the woods a few times a year during the warmer months.
    I have snake chaps also but honestly would never wear them turkey hunting when there is a good chance I’ll be walking several miles.

who on this here foh-rum has ever been bitten by a venomous snake in South Carolina while hunting anything that hops or flys and exactly where in the state did the alleged snake bite occur? I like getting after quail and am a new resident to the lower part of the state...trying to rationalize snake boots myself.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    The comparison to a seat belt was to point out a simple change to lower risk of injury. The point about having kids was a realization that I am responsible for 3 lives and not just my own. To each their own though.
    Was just giving you a hard time, but this is actually an excellent answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    who on this here foh-rum has ever been bitten by a venomous snake in South Carolina while hunting anything that hops or flys and exactly where in the state did the alleged snake bite occur? I like getting after quail and am a new resident to the lower part of the state...trying to rationalize snake boots myself.
    My grandfather lost his best bird dog back in the 50’s to a rattlesnake bite. They were hunting in Florence County on a fairly cold February day. The dog pointed then shortly afterwards let out a yelp and took off running. My granddad and his buddy walked up to the spot of the point and found the snake. They found the dog two days later with a severely swollen head. The doc couldn’t save him.

My granddad was devastated. He always said that was the only time in that dog’s life it pointed anything other than a quail.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    I have snake chaps also but honestly would never wear them turkey hunting when there is a good chance I’ll be walking several miles.
    Yeah. I normally do an ass of walking turkey hunting and I don't won't anything I'm wearing to make me uncomfortable. It's amazing how much better your legs fell in shoes verses boots. Not being able to bend your ankle really tears at your calf muscles. I hate boots of any kind!!! If you half to cross a creek just find a walk log.

No I don't and I don't plan on it.

Because the graveyards are full of people who died because they were bitten by snakes who didn't have on protection.

What are we up to? 2? 3 people since hospitals began keeping records back in the 1800's?

I was working at Williamsburg Regional one day, and a helicopter landed on the helo pad out front. I asked one of the admin staff what was going on- she said they were delivering antivenom.

I hunt about 15 minutes up the road. Now I have to worry about relying on antivenom being flown in if I get popped in the swamp. I hope the weather is good if that day ever comes...

My sister's friend's cousin said she once heard from another friend's brother that they heard of someone being bit by a snake. They weren't hunting though.

I had a copperhead strike the calf of a knee high rubber lacrosse boot in Laurens county some years ago during an early October deer hunt but it did not penetrate the boot. Scared the heebeegeebees outta me and I kilt him.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 03-14-2019 at 02:09 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

You people are living in a state with the 3rd most automobile deaths in the country, (988 in 2017), yet you don't wear crash helmets or have roll cages in your vehicles.

Keep worrying about those 1 snake bite deaths every 100 years.

I have always found it interesting that people who live in places where the snakes are actually deadly, generally cruise around barefoot or with sandals if they are ballers...

I just did the math. I bought a pair of Russell Turkey Hunters and at the end of the day I think they were almost $700. If you get bit, it is not that you are going to die, but your antivenin alone would cost in the neighborhood of $55,000 or 80 pairs of Russell Turkey Hunters.
    DILLIGAF

I wear Rocky Lowcountry snake boots. We killed a rattler 2weeks ago in Allendale I didn't have my boots on but I will next Wednesday! It mostly a comfort deal I think...

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN LAB View Post
    It mostly a comfort deal I think...
    For the people who manufacture snake boots...

I have, 3 times. First one was just dumb luck, I was 15 or so. I "borrowed" my brothers new snake proof hip boots since the stand was in knee deep water. Walked out right at dark all I saw was this white mouth, by time i realized what it was, he popped me in the knee. Not sure how I didn't shoot myself in the leg.
    Other 2 were copperheads, that I stepped on, one was small enough i highly doubt it would have made it through regular boots, the other one i was glad i had them on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Default Who wears snake protection?

I am not scared of dying from a snake, it is more to keep from having a big hospital bill and possible burden on my family if I have to be in the hospital from a bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davisd9; 03-14-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."