Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me BOW

Default New to me BOW

I shoot an old Bowtech tribute ( 11 years old) . Its been awesome but I want to get a newer bow . I don't want a newer BT . I think I want a Matthews . I am not totally against buying new . Would like some input as to what to buy or not to buy . Mainly deer hunting from climber and ground blind . Used or new .
    I used to drink like a fish and run like a dog
    Done a whole lotta shit not permitted by law
    People call me the Picasso of painting the town

I was in the exact same position last summer. 12 year old Bowtech and wanting to go a different route. I went with the Mathews Triax specifically because I hunt from trees/blinds. I wanted a shorter bow. It's pretty smooth shooting and very quiet. You can probably get a lightly used one for several hundred bucks off in the next few months once the season closes.
    Carolina Counsel

if you buy a new bow these days you're an idiot.......Go to archerytalk.com and make a deal with one of the fan boys trying to keep up with the jones'........The amount of bows that go through that place is unreal.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Here is my suggestion. Go to a shop and shoot everything your interested in. When you figure out what you want buy it off archery talk. Even if you have to change modules or cams it will still be cheaper.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 11-28-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Go to archerytalk.com and make a deal with one of the fan boys trying to keep up with the jones'........The amount of bows that go through that place is unreal.
    Very true. A lot of folks are selling their Halon 6" to get the new Triax. The changes between those two bows don't seem significant enough to warrant an "upgrade" imo.

Archery Talk

But as suggested, go shoot a few first. Until then you don't know what you want.

i still shoot my old q2
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Here is my suggestion. Go to a shop and shoot everything your interested in. When you figure out what you want buy it off archery talk. Even if you have to change modules or cams it will still be cheaper.
    Doesn't it make you feel a bit unethical to waste a shop's time and use their facilities and then not give them your business? This is a big reason why shops with good service are going out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelyeller View Post
    I shoot an old Bowtech tribute ( 11 years old) . Its been awesome but I want to get a newer bow . I don't want a newer BT . I think I want a Matthews . I am not totally against buying new . Would like some input as to what to buy or not to buy . Mainly deer hunting from climber and ground blind . Used or new .
    Why not a newer BowTech? I've seen plenty of guys over on AT trade their Triaxs for Realms.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Doesn't it make you feel a bit unethical to waste a shop's time and use their facilities and then not give them your business? This is a big reason why shops with good service are going out of business.
    Trust me the shop I use gets a ton of my business. They also get a ton of my money. It’s buisness man. If you go test drive a truck at one dealership but another offers you the same truck for a couple thousand cheaper, you gone feel bad about wasting the first place time?
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 11-28-2018 at 12:41 PM.

I disagree somewhat. When I bought my elite off here, it went straight to the bow shop to get a once over. He gets all my business with buying, cutting and fletching my arrows. The customer service is what makes me go back to him.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    Why not a newer BowTech? I've seen plenty of guys over on AT trade their Triaxs for Realms.
    So have I . I was a Bowtech guy because of the shop . It has closed . Not sure which BTs have the limb issue . Not sure if the new ones have limb issues at all . I will keep a bow for several years . No brand loyalty whatsoever . Short answer....spooked a lil bit by them .

It does . But in the end...I have to look out for me . Most of the Bow shops I know in RH or Charlotte have douchebags in charge so.....meh

So have I . I was a Bowtech guy because of the shop . It has closed . Not sure which BTs have the limb issue . Not sure if the new ones have limb issues at all . I will keep a bow for several years . No brand loyalty whatsoever . Short answer....spooked a lil bit by them .
    BowTech started making their limbs in house a few years ago. So far, no issues that I know of.

I’d suggest not going into it “wanting to buy a Mathews.”

I wanted something other than a Mathews a year or two ago but liked the Mathews nocam best after shooting it.

Went to get a new bow recently but didn’t want to consider Hoyt and now I shoot a Hoyt..

Bowtech is making some high quality bows as of late. I was really on the fence when I got a triax between it and the realm.

I just bought my Tribute back from the boy I sold it to because I really liked it. I would go shoot some newer models and take that tribute along and see if the newer stuff is really worth the $$$ to you.

As others have said shoot as many different bows as you can. I thought I wanted a triax but ended up with a Prime Logic instead.

It does . But in the end...I have to look out for me . Most of the Bow shops I know in RH or Charlotte have douchebags in charge so.....meh
    All seasons outdoors in locust, NC is the answer to your problem here. Mathews, bowtech, elite, and soon to be adding Hoyt. Kid that runs it is squared away as they come. Grafton in China Grove,NC is also top notch.

I’ve shot every offering so far this year and the bowtech SS has me the most interested.

Never been to the Locust, NC dealer but have been around with dealers in the last year or two and found Godwins Archery in Raeford, NC to be the most service oriented. They keep a couple of everything in stock brand wise it seems too.