Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Season Changes

Default Season Changes

Pops is heading out in the morning to go hunt some wood goats. I know a few states have opportunities late into January and it got me thinking if I'd be willing to give up some days on the front side for a long push into January. I probably wouldn't but I don't really deer hunt enough to have an opinion. Thought it would make for a decent discussion here though.

So what say you? Would you give up a couple of weeks on the front of your season to add it on the back end? Why or why not?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Absolutely. A month even.

No thanks, I like shooting deer in August.

Sure would

I would in a heartbeat. Skeeters aint as bad when its cold.

Though I did see on one of the various hunting outlets I read where a feller had shot a doe late in the season. Got out the stand to look for blood and found a fawn fetus on the ground right where he had shot her. I guess there is pros and cons to both

No. I enjoy hunting in August.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by Boduke View Post
    I would in a heartbeat. Skeeters aint as bad when its cold.

Though I did see on one of the various hunting outlets I read where a feller had shot a doe late in the season. Got out the stand to look for blood and found a fawn fetus on the ground right where he had shot her. I guess there is pros and cons to both
    Most does you shoot after middle November have a fetus in them
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Mosquitoes and leaves still on the trees is irritating. I don’t hunt September, and wish I could hunt through January.

Also, I absolutely would give up a month early to get a month late
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I would love to hunt later into Jan with the colder temps.

But I just pulled a camera this past weekend that hadn't been checked since Dec 26th. There's a 6 pt, 7 pt and 8 pt that have frequented the plot on a daily basis and all three started dropping antlers around Jan 5th.
    Last edited by DMP; 01-17-2023 at 01:23 PM.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Most does you shoot after middle November have a fetus in them

Shhhhhhh it's out of sight out of mind...

And, I've pulled a buck out of the field by the antlers in Mid December and had them pop off in my hand.

Also, had the puppies chasing a mule of a "doe" on one of the last chases of the year...It was a buck that had already lost it's antlers.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 01-17-2023 at 01:27 PM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

A January deer season: shooting next year's trophies when there's nothing to saw off and leave in your truck bed.

Nope. I’m good
    80-20 Genaration

Absolutely.

I'd rather push dove season back a month. Those Labor Day weekend hunts are death defying.

No!!...........Leave it like it is. I love hunting velvet bucks in August. Wearing a tee shirt. shorts and tennis shoes. Skeeters and snakes are not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DMP View Post
    I would love to hunt later into Jan with the colder temps.

But I just pulled a camera this past weekend that hadn't been checked since Dec 26th. There's a 6 pt, 7 pt and 8 pt that have frequented the plot on a daily basis and all three started dropping antlers around Jan 5th.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Shhhhhhh it's out of sight out of mind...

And, I've pulled a buck out of the field by the antlers in Mid December and had them pop off in my hand.

Also, had the puppies chasing a mule of a "doe" on one of the last chases of the year...It was a buck that had already lost it's antler
    s.
    This would be the ONLY reason I'd be against it honestly. If our deer didn't drop so early, I would be 100% in favor of starting a month later and ending a month later.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

They could make it an option. Select Tag set A for how it is now, or Tag set B for Sept 15- Jan 31

We gonna get extra time for small game season of deer season gets punched back?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...