Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Regulating Dog Hunting

First off acreage limits are NOT the answer.
    2nd from few responses in this thread some of you have never took the time to visit or hunt with a dog man that cares where his dogs are and is willing to do what it takes to get dog/dogs where they need to be.

I would be glad for anyone on here to come hunt with me on a small acreage tract (30 acres- 500).

I am adamant that my dogs don't get out of drive and if they do I will have them back in drive before they gain 30 yards.
    I run beagles ( not because they are easier to control but just cause I am a beagle guy). Big dogs can be controlled just as easy. It takes just a lil bit of time to work with them.

The response about people hunting small blocks of land and not cutting it off. This goes back to the dog man not spending time to collar break the dogs.

The alpha isn't fail proof but it is dang close. More and more dog clubs are going to the alpha and it is only going to get better for neighbouring properties.

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    strictly enforce trespassing laws and place big penalties for any violator

Currently their is nothing a landowner can do about it, and that sucks!
    I beg to differ, all big timber tracts are own by investors, timber Companies, etc. they want good neighbors and no drama. Call the Game Warden , Sheriff when the dogs are caught or running circles on your property.

What’s the big penalties? Who is going to prove their dogs are on your land. To make a statement, you got to have their dogs on your land and you got to catch a pack of dogs that will barely come to their owners. Tracking collars have made cutting the dogs off before crossing land lines easier.

I would rather have a pack of deer dogs trailing a doe , instead of a couple yard dogs running circles on every scent they pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Gobbler View Post
    Go F yourself
    $50 says you have a pickup, dog box, and a Yeti bunjee corded to it

If I had 100 acres butting up to 7000 that ran hounds, I’d fence my property in and run 5 feeders year round..

I’d rather see a limit on dogs you can hunt vs. acreage..

The number #1 thing that everyone can afford to do is.... Be courteous..

Build a fence, take the extra effort and keep your dogs on you, plan hunts around neighbors..

If you have a still hunting neighbor, go talk to him.. We can kill every brown deer that attempts to cross the line, to stop dogs.. Or we can shoot nice bucks and try our best to stop the dogs without killing the deer..

Give the still hunter 10 bags of corn as a penalty for putting dogs on him..

If your neighbor still hunts in the am, hunt the other side of the club.. Or wait for him to get down before you turn loose, likewise in the afternoon..

Be courteous!

Fences and GPS are definitely the way to go, though..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by HEAD View Post
    I’m sure they do....but it’s the same situation when Yankees move down here in the middle of the woods and call police and fire trucks when they smell smoke....they don’t agree with it so therefore it should be illegal
    Are you saying that 1) you’re sure that your dogs go on the mans property and 2) that because he only has a hundred acres and you have 7000, he should just deal with it?

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Are you saying that 1) you’re sure that your dogs go on the mans property and 2) that because he only has a hundred acres and you have 7000, he should just deal with it?
    I think he’s saying, don’t build your house on a golf course, if you don’t want an occasional golf ball bouncing off your house..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Do you think dog hunting decreases the value of neighboring recreational properties?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    Do you think dog hunting decreases the value of neighboring recreational properties?
    By less than $5/ac
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    I think he’s saying, don’t build your house on a golf course, if you don’t want an occasional golf ball bouncing off your house..
    You should see folks trying to hit the ball from your yard through your trees back on to the course. Straight from Caddyshack, "Oh golly, I'm hot today." [ricochet]

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    By less than $5/ac
    Do you have a credible source for that?

I know of two instances on this site where potential buyers backed out because of dog hunting problems.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 11-30-2018 at 08:11 AM.

To the original question asked - I don't think you can regulate it to make it stay around. I grew up dog hunting and long for those days to come back, but they're not going to. Dogs are going to do dog stuff and no amount of technology can 100% prevent issues coming up. I don't think you'll see any laws passed to ban dog hunting, you just won't be able to find a landowner to allow you to dog hunt. And I honestly can't blame the landowners. Much easier to collect a check from a bunch of still hunters who in most cases don't hunt a lot versus 20-30 head of people running dogs every Wednesday and Saturday (and all the headache that can come with it).

If I had 100 acres butting up to 7000 that ran hounds, I’d fence my property in and run 5 feeders year round..

I’d rather see a limit on dogs you can hunt vs. acreage..

The number #1 thing that everyone can afford to do is.... Be courteous..

Build a fence, take the extra effort and keep your dogs on you, plan hunts around neighbors..

If you have a still hunting neighbor, go talk to him.. We can kill every brown deer that attempts to cross the line, to stop dogs.. Or we can shoot nice bucks and try our best to stop the dogs without killing the deer..

Give the still hunter 10 bags of corn as a penalty for putting dogs on him..

If your neighbor still hunts in the am, hunt the other side of the club.. Or wait for him to get down before you turn loose, likewise in the afternoon..

Be courteous!

Fences and GPS are definitely the way to go, though..
    PBiz if you can infect the general public with your thoughts and logic (on this subject that is...don’t be gettin carried away) this state would be WAAAAY better off.
    Excellent post. I applaud you

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Do you have a credible source for that?

I know of two instances on this site where potential buyers backed out because of dog hunting problems.

Not really just logic. I watched some land sell for top of the market locally and it is neighboring a dog club and was not bought by a club member. If you are solely interested in deer hunting then it will surely devalue it a lot but if you are looking at the property for more than deer hunting than dog hunting doesn’t ruin a sale like a set of meth head neighbors.
    cut\'em

I have fenced in the area (approximately 10,000 acres) I dog hunt with a ten foot fence now the still hunter who joins my property is complaining the deer can not get to him. Too bad, I can let my dogs run with no problem and I also still hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by SC REBEL View Post
    I have fenced in the area (approximately 10,000 acres) I dog hunt with a ten foot fence now the still hunter who joins my property is complaining the deer can not get to him. Too bad, I can let my dogs run with no problem and I also still hunt.
    Good for you. That's the way it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    With the new Garmin Collars most of the dog hunting arguments are a moot point.
    Really!

In all seriousness, that's sorry on their part..

All GPS units don't have a training capacity, but the Alphas have brought the sport a long long ways from what it was..

But as awesome as this new technology is, sometimes a collar doesn't track, sometimes you end up tracking the wrong dog.. It's not 100 percent effective, but like I said, we're a long ways from where we began..

Difference in me and those idiots hunting beside you, is that I do care where my hounds are running.. I want them running my deer on my property.. Where I can legally shoot the piss out of them in my woods..

PM me your whereabouts.. I love the sport and I love killing deer, but I can't stand a sombitch that would put running hounds in jeopardy..

Have you ever spoken with them?
    Man, I so wish all dog me had this attitude!

Most of our guys have the systems with the tone feature and its pretty unbelievable how fast they catch their dogs now. They will turn around and come back to the road they just crossed when you hit the button. If I still had dogs, I would sure as hell have one!

Did I say "Whatever PBiz says" earlier in this thread? If not, whatever PBiz says...