Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving Spreads

Just give me a couple of slices of ham, a big portion of greasy rice, 6 homemade biscuits, and some pecan pie or pound cake.....with sweet tea.

That's all I need.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

What CDADDY said!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    And it's MACARONI PIE, not Mac and Cheese......you yankees.....
    My great grandmother called it cheese pie. In my brain hers will always be cheese pie. Unfortunately everything else is just macaroni and cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Just give me a couple of slices of ham, a big portion of greasy rice, 6 homemade biscuits, and some pecan pie or pound cake.....with sweet tea.

That's all I need.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    We should eat around 11:30-noon. You are welcome to stop by.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

And it's MACARONI PIE, not Mac and Cheese......you yankees.....
    Yup. Best part about a good macaroni pie is being able to cut a slice, cover it with pepper and being able to eat it without a fork or a plate.
    And greasy rice is the tits.

I opened this thread expecting to see photos of everyone's turkey on the table. It's not even 7am yet on Thanksgiving day...

Relax, Mr. Pikey. We'll get it poppin' before too long. In the meantime here's a pregame shot:

IMG-3643.jpg
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Just got a pot of Sharkman's collards going...

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    At our house, it was called Macaroni Pie (or sometimes Macaroni Casserole). "Macaroni and Cheese" is a Kraft stove top product that comes in a box and consists of elbow noodles slathered in a mysterious orange powder that is typically fed to toddlers. Macaroni Pie has eggs in it. Mac and Cheese doesn't. Mac and Cheese can be pretty good fast food for a quick carbo load. Chik-fil-a actually has some decent Mac-n-cheese. Macaroni Pie is a more formal dish that can invoke some fierce competition among church ladies at a church covered-dish supper.

I thought "greasy rice" was only what my family called it. I didn't realize the name was well known. I think the proper name is consommé rice (con-soom-ay'). It's a really simple to make recipe that has a can of Campbell's beef consommé, a can of beef broth, a can of Campbells' onion soup, a sick of butter and 1.5 cups of Uncle Ben's long grain white rice all added to a casserole dish and cooked in the oven at 350 for about 45 minutes. It's delicious but don't tell your cardiologist that you eat it.

Turkey is the tofu of meats. It's only a baby step away from the synthetic "smeat" they make in a lab. I don't look forward to the Thanksgiving meal if there isn't certainty that there will be ham or some other real meat to keep me from having to choke down bland farm raised turkey.
    If my mom was alive she would slap you in the head for calling that greasy rice.

The start of greasy rice
    20221124_103149.jpg

It's a staple on our table. Mom makes it every Thanksgiving and ONLY at Thanksgiving.
    What time we eating bolt?
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I was describing greasy rice at my house, not yours.
    That's akin to saying, " fried pork chops are fried chicken in my family". Or, "I was born a man, but I'm actually a woman." Just cuz you say it don't make it so.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Started the day off with some onion sausage, then made rice in the sausage drippings.

I never knew what “greasy rice” was until this thread, but now that it has a name my Mom has approved it to be added to the yearly list.

I’ll try and get a pic once the hog gets pulled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boduke; 11-24-2022 at 11:22 AM.

Send in your whole-spread pics, too, errbody.

...and clean up your shop, Boduke.

Great start to Thanksgiving day.

"Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    That's akin to saying, " fried pork chops are fried chicken in my family". Or, "I was born a man, but I'm actually a woman." Just cuz you say it don't make it so.
    The main reason I even replied was to answer your question about what I thought it was and give a recipe. What some folks call greasy rice is called by others consomme or maybe pilaf. Greenheadrocker looks like he's starting a chicken bog in my vocabulary. I didn't mean to offend. I'll delete my offensive recipe and the others that quoted it can please delete their copies of it and I'll just move along. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and call it whatever you want.