Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discuss

Default Discuss

So I am currently shooting an old 30-06 believe it is a Remington model 770 I got at a local pawn shop while I was in college in around 2014. Looking to do some upgrading. Would like to stay with the 30-06 but interested in others depending on the round. Not looking at any sissy sticks like the 6.5 or anything. Longest shot while hunting will be about 450 yards. What would ya upgrade to and why?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Tikka,dead accurate and light.i got a 300wm supressed and it shoots like butter.

I mainly deer hunt with a shotgun, but your statement about buying a rifle in college rang true to home. I bought a REM model 700 .270 in college. As my daughter’s say, “daddy, you finished college in the 1900’s. I was given a REM Model 700 7mm-08 about 10 years ago, and I really like it. 139 grain Hornady SST are the bullets I shoot with that rifle. Good luck.

Tikka makes a damn nice $800 rifle.

Here you go. A great Tikka 30-06 with an extra magazine, a scope, and ammo as a package to get you moving in style.

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...ighlight=Tikka
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Would like to stay with the 30-06 but interested in others depending on the round.
    The .30-'06 is an old, rather pedestrian round but it's effective and versatile. There are so many manufacturers loading rounds with a wide variety of bullets for the .30-'06 that you can "tune" your rifle for more game applications than any other single caliber.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

There's a nice used t3x stainless on gunbroker.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

A Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 is a classic.

Depending on budget high to low:
    Custom Build with good barrel action and stock.
    Sako 85 Classic
    Winchester model 70 Supergrade
    Tikka
    Bergara

450 yards is quite a poke

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    450 yards is quite a poke
    Yeah house is on a hay field and if needed off the back porch would make for a fun shoot. Working tho the woods now to create some shooting lanes and food plots. Got one started 2 years ago and is about a 310 yard to the end.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

remington is coming out with a new updated 700, it's called the alpha 1, i have read some good things about it, but i haven't seen any prices, and i think they have 700 long range in 7mm prc they are about to release
    Last edited by barrineau; 11-07-2022 at 09:01 AM.

Just doing a little research…. Is there really a big difference between the 308, 30-06, or the 300 WM?

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Just doing a little research…. Is there really a big difference between the 308, 30-06, or the 300 WM?
    Think of the .308 as a 300WM with the first 180 yards cut off and a .30-'06 with the first 57 yards cut off. In other words shooting a deer at 180 yards with a 300 Win Mag is the same impact as shooting it point blank with a .308.

A .30-'06 is like a 300WM with the first 123 yards cut off.

I've never shot one but I have heard people talk about the recoil of a 300 Win Mag as being noticeably more intense than a .30-'06.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I've only shot the 30-06, but it's my understanding that the recoil difference is approximately 20% difference between each one. You could find a recoil energy chart that would verify what the real numbers 'probably' are. Obviously the ammo makes a difference within each caliber.

I always felt the '06 was the all-around caliber and so have millions of others over the past 100+ years. I'd still be shooting it if I hadn't started having a shoulder issue (not caused by the '06).
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I've got 3-4 deer rifle calibers but if I had to pick one and only one it would be my Rem 700 in 30-06 shooting 150 grain bullets. Nothing fancy but it is my go-to gun whenever I absolutely need to kill something.

That seems to be a common theme. 30-06 seems to be the go to for most people.

I have all three. Depends on the rifle and how it’s set up. I have a Sako 85 Finnlight in .300WM that’s easy to shoot and a Cooper Long Range that’s like a .243. I have a few ‘06’s most are mild on recoils but a BSA I have will knock your duck in your watch pocket.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Soooo after some thought on the subject. Gonna up grade to a weatherby vanguard multi-camo 30-06 with a threaded barrel and a muzzle break. Found one new for $725. Thanks for the discussion fellas.

My first shotgun was a weatherby SA-08 in 20 gauge and it’s a sweet shooting gun. Been looking at their rifles I’d love to hear about the weatherby rifle and how you like it.