Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Lettuce Discuss

I’m with you bud , but let pops do what he wants. Look at this way you can kill the tom next yr
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Super Jake. I remember those days
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 05-12-2022 at 09:58 PM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Super jake = nanny goat that blows at you even when the wind is right
    53430355-C708-476D-A1F4-EBE4A7F04BCF.jpg
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

I’d be fine if DNR gave every tag holder a scoot n shoot if it meant I never had to hear the term super jake again
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Jakes do next to zero of the breeding, that field Tom that is getting reaped by some asshat with a mojo fan clipped on his gat does all the servicing of the ladies.

Which is the biggest rub I have against reaping/fanning/gay disco/whatever they are calling it. Historically that field turkey has been extremely hard to kill. And he’s steady layin’ pipe while the hunter is spending weeks formulating a plan to kill him. So while me (the hunter) is riding around in his truck making sure my calls sound sharp, and looking at topo maps trying to plan his move, that turkey is in baby making mode doing all he can to put out a litter for next year. Leaving some for seed, if you will.

Now he’s getting killed opening afternoon for the cost of $79 at Walmart and dirty knees on his britches.

Super Jake; a term used by hunters to make themselves feel better about shooting a juvenile male turkey

I encountered several jakes this year that came in screaming to the gun. Would have never in a million years thought they were jakes had I not seen their fan once they got in range. When you're in the woods and a turkey is looking for you and you're trying to pinpoint where he's going to show up, where your gun needs to be, how far you can move right without taking yourself out of the game if he goes left, etc., it can be hard not to shoot the first red head you see. I almost got fooled a couple of times this year. Has me looking forward to next year though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by sc sportsman View Post
    I encountered several jakes this year that came in screaming to the gun. Would have never in a million years thought they were jakes had I not seen their fan once they got in range. When you're in the woods and a turkey is looking for you and you're trying to pinpoint where he's going to show up, where your gun needs to be, how far you can move right without taking yourself out of the game if he goes left, etc., it can be hard not to shoot the first red head you see. I almost got fooled a couple of times this year. Has me looking forward to next year though.
    That happens often, and I have no real issue with it. Just don’t call him a super Jake to make yourself feel better. He’s a Jake.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

Is there some well documented research done in the southeast that suggests that "Jakes do next to zero of the breeding"?
    Just curious. I have never heard that discussed.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    Is there some well documented research done in the southeast that suggests that "Jakes do next to zero of the breeding"?
    Thanks

Yes. Mike Chamberlain has gone over it on several podcasts. I believe he discussed it on the last one he did with the gamekeeper guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    Thanks
    TX Parks and Wildlife Dept did studies years ago ( in conjunction with Texas A&M )and proved that a sub one year old Gobbler ( Jake) has low motility of sperm . They are able to physically breed, but their sperm ( in most samples) was not viable to fertilize eggs.

I will go look through the library at home , but I believe Drs David Austin and Lovett Williams did study in Florida with similar result.
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 05-13-2022 at 01:12 PM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Lower the lint to accommodate reapers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Lower the lint to accommodate reapers.

Start the season on the second Saturday of April with a 2 bird limit. Then the SC season would mirror NC. The birds get an extra XX number of days to breed and most of the NC crowd would quit going south to get a few extra weeks of season.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Start the season on the second Saturday of April with a 2 bird limit. Then the SC season would mirror NC. The birds get an extra XX number of days to breed and most of the NC crowd would quit going south to get a few extra weeks of season.
    This right here.

I can't complain about the NC crowd coming down here though, I hunt their state a good bit.

Mc hunters are the problem?

I thought the Florida hunters were the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Mc hunters are the problem?

Yes. Irish turkey hunters are the worst of the lot.

All the turkeys I kill are from sc and my wife is from sc. Dont hate the player hate the game

She came in on a string when I had my stutter out
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 05-13-2022 at 04:35 PM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Bbbbbbbbullshit