Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Georgetown pine tree soil...what to plant

Cheap feed oats. Spend your money on a good bag of clover. Top sow the clover over your oats. Don't plant rye. It's a weed that won't produce much edible food for your critters.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    Yup. I remember when they were $15 a bag. Now they are what, $55-70?

You may want to try one of the forage type soy beans over ag. soy beans.
    $41/bag

Where?
    Low country redneck who moved north

Meherrin.

I been paying between $35-$38 a bag for the last couple years
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Cheap feed oats. Spend your money on a good bag of clover. Top sow the clover over your oats. Don't plant rye. It's a weed that won't produce much edible food for your critters.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post

Cereal rye is great for food plots. Especially sandy soil with low PH. It's also a great nurse crop for clover. A mixture of cereal rye, oats/wheat (whichever I can find the easiest) and crimsons clover is my go to mixture in sandy soil.

https://www.deerassociation.com/cereal-rye-deer/

https://www.whitetailhabitatsolution...ail-food-plots

I wish someone up in this part of the PeeDee would sale cow peas for $35 a bag.
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 06-21-2021 at 11:28 AM.

Odds are pretty good I can mule a pallet of Meherrin cow peas to Conway/Georgetown.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Sandy pine land is tough. I would recommend adding sorghum Sudan grass with the cowpeas for the summer planting. You want biomass.. All sandy soil just about needs boron sulfur and nitrogen on every year…I think tobacco fert may have those in it (with p and k as well) plus you need calcium…so lime as you already know. Bin run oats and crimson clover this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok. here goes. I guess I never have understood the myriad of opinions here but here's mine.

soil sample? no thanks
    oats, rye, etc? ummmmm no.
    cowpeas? Sure, that would be nice but i usually have them mixed with soybeans and wish I could replant but dont want to kill the peas they havent eaten.

i would make dirt and plant beans. wanna throw out a few bags of 10-10-10? go for it. IMO, i want to make beans the deer eat, then make more. its not rocket science or maybe it is and I'm just not a rocket guy. So, i guess I agree with your friend that replants beans a few times.

in the fall, I would plant something else. (and i've "planted" beans well into september.)
    the end.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

To add to 2th, the friend said the deer will go around and eat any soybean that didn't germinate. Probably gonna try a lil oats, beans and peas, custom mixed 28% oats, 32% beans, and 40% peas, and call it Black Sand Pine Tree Mix.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Don't plant the oats until you are done planting the beans. Oats are meant to be grazed on, and unless you have HEAVY usage when they are really young the deer can eat on oats for months. Plant beans until early october, then plow it and plant with oats/wheat and be done until April/May
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Don't plant the oats until you are done planting the beans. Oats are meant to be grazed on, and unless you have HEAVY usage when they are really young the deer can eat on oats for months. Plant beans until early october, then plow it and plant with oats/wheat and be done until April/May
    This is what I do. I plant beans and peas in June and July then disc them under and plant oats, winter peas and clover around the first of October.